DE1911G Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > DE1911G Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default DE1911G Questions

My latest purchase is the DE1911G from Magnum Research

Unfortunately - it does not come with a rail, and since this is my first 1911, im still very new to the world of 1911 customization.

I've looked around with google searches to see if there's a way to add one on, or if it has to come from the manufacturer, but can't find anything what so ever. So does anyone know if this can be done, and if so, do you know of a reliable source to buy the railing?

Secondly, this one is more of a request for your personal opinions... I do like the grips that came with this gun, but i'm thinking of buying something different, just to give it its own personality...

What do you guys (and gals?) think would look best? Im thinking some sort of ivory with some nice etchings, but im told Ivory grips are sort of cliche anymore...any opinions would be most appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Since this is your first, I'll give the same old tired advice I always do:

Put lots of rounds through it and learn the platform before you customize anything. Not having a rail is not a bad thing to most of us 1911 fans BTW. Grips are very much a matter of personal choice, for shooting I really like Pachmayr wrap-arounds - not pretty but really effective & comfortable.

I've seen and held a DE 1911 but I look forward to a range report...

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Since this is your first, I'll give the same old tired advice I always do:

Put lots of rounds through it and learn the platform before you customize anything. Not having a rail is not a bad thing to most of us 1911 fans BTW. Grips are very much a matter of personal choice, for shooting I really like Pachmayr wrap-arounds - not pretty but really effective & comfortable.

I've seen and held a DE 1911 but I look forward to a range report...
i've already put a few hundred rounds through it...couldn't resist as soon as I opened it up. We made a video showing it in action, but im still trying to figure out this damn video software so that I can edit it and upload it

I'll be sure to post it once i do...but for the time being, I can tell you that it's one smooth shooting handgun. The slide action is as smooth as a babies bottom and, to me, it feels perfectly balanced, even if it is a little on the heavy side (but i much prefer a heavier firearm). When I compare this to my S&W 3913, and shoot them "side by side" I can tell a night&day difference. The 1911 obviously has more power behind it, but it just seems to handle its self a whole lot better (not a knock against the S&W however)

The only thing I don't like about it are the iron sights, they're very bland and it takes a lot of visual adjustment when you first bring the gun up to aim, in order to get everything lined up...but over all, Im thrilled to own it.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 02-16-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

You will find, and probably already have, that nothing shoots like a 1911. It can turn average shooters into good shooters because of the great inherent pointability and crisp single action trigger - they are addicting...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5674 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

my opinion not having a rail is a good thing. i think they detract from the usefulness as rails tend to hang up on holsters and clothing. there are add on rails that bolt to the trigger guard. but i think any rail is a bad idea on a pistol.

ivory grips havent been made in decades as ivory is illegal for importation. you can still find them but be prepaired to pay a huge price as it isnt cheap. the big negative is ivory is slick and hard to hold with sweaty or wet hands. from the pics of your gun it sorta looks like it has a relief cut for the extended safety. if thats the case you may have a hard time finding grips you like with a relief cut. its hard to tell from the pic.

my preference for grips is the classic cocobolo lookwood grips work well in lots of conditions. but i will second the pachmyer grips ugly but by far the most functional.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #6

VZ makes a very nice line of grips. Dawson Precision makes a nice add on light rail any good gunsmith should be able to install.

Welcome to the world of the 1911

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Fortunately - it does not come with a rail, and since this is my first 1911, im still very new to the world of 1911 customization.
There you go, fixed it for you.

I just got my first 1911 as well, but haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. There are a few things I'm planning to do to mine, but am gonna wait until I get at least 500 rounds through it before I do anything.

As everyone else said, grips are a personal choice. I'm gonna leave the stock ones on mine for a while, but the next ones I try will probably be slims.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #8

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's!

Here's my baby...a DE1911G just like yours...

I'm also looking into new grips...tossup between going to The Finer Grain or to Esmerelda

Of the two, Esmerelda makes the nicest grips, but also the higher priced of the two. The Finer Grain also works with exotic skins (like python, ostrich, etc...) which Esmerelda doesn't do, so between these two, you'll definitely find a set that will be unique and fit what you are looking for.

As for advice on the DEagle 1911G...never EVER use oil on the slide, guide rod, or barrel. Wilsons Combat Grease is what should be used. The only points that should get oil in a 1911 are the barrel cam (that little loop under the breech that the takedown pin slides through) and the trigger/sear.

Sights: a small dab of white enamel or a glow-in-the-dark enamel (I forget who makes it, but it is available) will do the trick. I did it on mine, and target acquisition is now fantastic.

Rail: don't go mucking around with a rail...1911's were never intended to have a rail. For the cost of an aftermarket rail, and the gunsmithing to have it installed, you can get a LazerLyte guide rod laser with a green or red dot. I'm assuming that you want a rail to mount some sort of targeting aid.

Also, once you install a rail, you're going to have to have a holster custom-made, because most (like 99.99%) of the standard 1911 holsters are fitted to a regular 1911 without rails. In a holster made for a straight-up 1911, one that has a rail attached simply won't fit at all, or if the holster is sloppily made, will fit but be as tight as an elephant shoved up a gnats arse.

Lastly...the DEagle 1911 is a really nice looking gun all on its own, and a fantastic shooter. You don't want to ge messing with a well-made, well-balanced gun like that....buy yourself a second one, like a Springer GI model, and play around with *that* if you want to build a custom out of aftermarket parts.

Last edited by DragonLW; 02-18-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLW View Post
The maker of those grips is a member of this forum. I believe his name is Sarge43. Real nice guy. I know there are quite a few members here who have bought grips from him and have been extremely pleased with them.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Mil-Tac is a vendor here. I have a set of his diagonal pattern G10 Micarta grips pre-inleted for a Tech-well magwell system. Very aggressive, I couldn't be happier with 'em

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down