Dan Wesson/Cz 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Dan Wesson/Cz 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Quality, fit,feel,etc etc etc etc......... You would have to put a lot of money into those kimbers to equal the quality of the DW imo.
Oh. I don't know.

Wait.

Actually I do know.

Tuning a Kimber to run like a champ isn't tough at all.

But the DW is a good gun and it is well made.

JD

EDIT: Actually the more I think about it, the more I am reminded that I am fine tuning a "lowly" Taurus right now to run with the big guns.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/huh-dillinger-taurus-38656/

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-16-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #22

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal4419 View Post
Maybe I should look more into a custom 1911. I read the "choosing your first 1911" article and it stated that the Kimber IIs has has some reliability issues.
Most people that I know don't or can't afford to go with a custom 1911 as their first. I don't know that I would discourage it, but I would dang sure want to make sure I liked the gun before I ordered one. That's a lot of cash to be throwing down for a first 1911.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
Most people that I know don't or can't afford to go with a custom 1911 as their first. I don't know that I would discourage it, but I would dang sure want to make sure I liked the gun before I ordered one. That's a lot of cash to be throwing down for a first 1911.

Well i know i like the 1911 platform, Ive fired them and taken them apart. And your probably right, a custom is probably too much first my first one. I think that I would be willing to spend for the $1200ish price range which is why i asked about the kimbers. Im goin by all the shops to day to take a hands on look at all the ones I like. I know the DW is pushing it got me but ill wait the extra month if it still comes out ontop today.

Last edited by Immortal4419; 03-16-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I have two pre-series 1 Kimbers that have been faultless for thousands of rounds. I also have a DW CBOB, and a DW VBOB. The DW guns are excellent quality guns, as are the Kimbers. The DW's have the edge in workmanship, and while my Kimbers have excellent triggers, the DW's have 'em beat. I've had my CBOB for a couple of years, and likely over 2K rounds, and the VBOB for a month or so, and a few hundred rounds..... both fault-free. I wouldn't sell wither my Kimbers, or my DW's.

all just my opinion, of course...

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Oh. I don't know.

Wait.

Actually I do know.

Tuning a Kimber to run like a champ isn't tough at all.

But the DW is a good gun and it is well made.

JD

Mine is another story. It's the most awesome Kimber in Arkansas, possible the southern hemisphere.

If we are talking right out of production though the Dan Wesson's have a better finish, tighter fit, and no MIM parts.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Mine is another story. It's the most awesome Kimber in Arkansas, possible the southern hemisphere.

If we are talking right out of production though the Dan Wesson's have a better finish, tighter fit, and no MIM parts.
Oh. Well in that case I can see your point.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #27

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

A lot depends on how much you intend to shoot and what type of shooting you intend to do. I know lots of folks that are very happy with their < $500 Rock Island and other folks that complain about their > $1000 high end production gun. Mine range from a Taurus at the low end to a Kimber, Colt, Springer, and Sig at the upper end and I enjoy them all...

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A lot depends on how much you intend to shoot and what type of shooting you intend to do. I know lots of folks that are very happy with their < $500 Rock Island and other folks that complain about their > $1000 high end production gun. Mine range from a Taurus at the low end to a Kimber, Colt, Springer, and Sig at the upper end and I enjoy them all...
+1...I'm with you. I currently have ten 1911s, 2 Rocks, 1 Taurus, 1 Colt, 1 Springer, 1 Sig, 1 S&W, 3 Kimbers...they all shoot great. A couple needed tuning at first (nothing major, usually a mag upgrade), some shot great right out of the box (the Sig and all three Kimbers). They all have had a bunch of rounds through them and I would count on any to function properly when needed. My Kimber super carry custom or my Sig Tactical have become my favorites for daily carry.
ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've always liked Dan Wessons (and Ed Browns for that matter) and have become a huge CZ fan. A couple years ago when I was first exploring guns, 1911s were what really caught my eye...and the two I was specifically enamored with were the DW Pointman 7 and C-Bob. I want to say they were going for about $1100 then, so they've since jumped 40-50% in price.

I still don't have a 1911. That'll soon change. And I still really like the Wessons. But my first will be something pretty simple, maybe a SA MilSpec or Para GI Expert. I could probably figure out a way to drop an extra $600-800 on a higher level gun, but I'd like to put a few hundred miles behind a basic 1911 to figure out what specs I really value in the platform first.

I get wanting something top-flight right away. I do to. I just don't think I could ever make a truly informed decision on a custom/semi-custom higher end gun without a little more experience to draw on.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I've always liked Dan Wessons (and Ed Browns for that matter) and have become a huge CZ fan. A couple years ago when I was first exploring guns, 1911s were what really caught my eye...and the two I was specifically enamored with were the DW Pointman 7 and C-Bob. I want to say they were going for about $1100 then, so they've since jumped 40-50% in price.

I still don't have a 1911. That'll soon change. And I still really like the Wessons. But my first will be something pretty simple, maybe a SA MilSpec or Para GI Expert. I could probably figure out a way to drop an extra $600-800 on a higher level gun, but I'd like to put a few hundred miles behind a basic 1911 to figure out what specs I really value in the platform first.

I get wanting something top-flight right away. I do to. I just don't think I could ever make a truly informed decision on a custom/semi-custom higher end gun without a little more experience to draw on.
Going with a more affordable 1911 while you learn what extra's you would like is a sound move in my view. Also you can always have that upgraded as time goes by thus spreading out the expense for a more optioned gun over time.

http://thecgacompany.com/