Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Dan Wesson Choices?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque,New Mexico
Posts: 164
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
remember Bucky is the one who believes Sig 1911's are throwdowns because he has much better guns.
Nope. You've totally distorted what I have said previously for your own reasons.

Yes, I own a SIG RCS specifically because I have no attachment to that pistol and don't care if I have to throw it onto pavement, into a mud puddle or have it taken for evidence and never get it back.

Why? Because I can find it every day on Gunbroker for sale from a number of sources. In a 1911 style pistol, it serves (for me) the same function that many people choose a gun like Glock - it's relatively inexpensive and easily replaced.

I have several semi-custom and custom pistols. I don't like to carry those daily as I don't want to wait 24 or more months for a replacement, and quite frankly I don't want to buy two of everything as I can use the same money for a more diverse group of guns.

Likewise, I also no longer carry my Detonics Combat Master that I got in 1982 because it would be impossible to duplicate that pistol today. It has a number of custom modifications to it that would be difficult to duplicate as I no longer own a machine shop and an EDM. Also, finding a Combat Master made in Seattle today is both difficult and overly expensive for the pistol.

You really need to relax and not get so self-invested in the products you buy. You will also notice, that I'm fairly careful to only use the name of the pistol manufacturers that I own when it is germain to the conversation and not as name dropping.

While you accuse me of being a snob, to me it sounds more like jealously and envy on your part. In fact, I don't care what people buy or own as long as they're satisfied with the gun -that's the important part.
__________________
buckhorn_cortez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,198
Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50117

Default

well it seems as some so called experts felt it was it was okay to gang up on me and attack my opinions and comments. well those comments and opinions are mine and mine alone.

i have my opinions on 1911's based on my personal experiances and from many years of owning and shooting them. i have found the less expensive 1911's coming out the Phillipines to be some of the best there is for the price. that is my opinion on them. IMO, they are not junk by a long shot.

i was attacked for my usage of my lesser expensive 1911 for SD purposes. well i trust my AC Commander without hesitation or doubt. did not enter into this lightly or without testing. this Commander has been shot in excess of 2000 rounds without hesitation or failure with several types of ammo. i was also informed that maybe i should rely upon a less expensive polymer pistol rather than using my 1911 or that type of platform because it was less in cost to some of those these other posters paid for theirs. well just for the education of some of these so-called "experts" i do my homework and plenty of research before i purchase a firearm. i was attacked for that also. if a purchase a firearm and it fails to meet my needs or is unreliable, fails to perform as i expect, then i get rid of it.

i have owned many Springfields over the years, and have had quite good luck with them and have found them to some of the best on the market. IMO, there is nothing inferior about the Springfields by any means. i own two Springfields and trust both without hesitation or doubt. Springfield has excellent CS and warranty if a person should ever need it.

personally i would like to own a NHC or a Wilson Combat, but i feel the 1911's i have serve my needs quite well. the Dan Wessons are quite well made pistols and have looked at them many times. but IMO, still the 1911's i have serve my needs and will perform just as they need to when needed.

in light of these harrassing remarks towards me, i am going to refrain from posting anymore opinions and will more than likely just keep my comments strictly on the facts if possible. my opinions use to be respected about these matters but for some reason, not so much anymore, so i feel it's in my best inerests to just keep them to myself from here on out.

__________________

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-06-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zippguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins

Both DW models are production guns.
Both models are excellent (high-end) examples of production guns, but production guns nontheless.

Also, I own a Guardian and I own a Springfield loaded model ($800 production gun). No knock on Springfield but the DW is a far superior example of a production gun.
Either model choice would be a good one - you will not go wrong with either.
I agree I own a valor best trigger outta the box I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong I own colts and kimbers and there junk next to a valor. You pay for what you get
__________________
zippguns is offline  
MIMber Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I'll give you that,I'm sure it shoots everytime and I'm sure it's probably just as accurate with a person behind it.

If I just wanted an accurate,reliable carry gun I would have bought a glock 30sf. But I wanted a nice gun,all steel,no MIM,checkering,hand fitted,etc. you know... I wanted the works. I plan on this being the gun I passed down to my kids,I want this to be THAT gun,the one my future kids fight over after I croak. It was a 21st birthday present to myself,and I wanted the best. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I will agree that a RIA or AC is a better value for the money you spend on them compared to any other 1911,but I do feel I bought the best production gun when I got the vbob,but I payed a premium for it as well.

Didn't mean to offend partner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-5 View Post
You did!!!
I don't see the offense, maybe you should go back and re-read this thread. You seem to me to be looking for a fight. There are far more polite people here on the FTF than me. I WILL NOT stand for trolling and have the ability to stop it in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
Nope. You've totally distorted what I have said previously for your own reasons.

Yes, I own a SIG RCS specifically because I have no attachment to that pistol and don't care if I have to throw it onto pavement, into a mud puddle or have it taken for evidence and never get it back.

Why? Because I can find it every day on Gunbroker for sale from a number of sources. In a 1911 style pistol, it serves (for me) the same function that many people choose a gun like Glock - it's relatively inexpensive and easily replaced.

I have several semi-custom and custom pistols. I don't like to carry those daily as I don't want to wait 24 or more months for a replacement, and quite frankly I don't want to buy two of everything as I can use the same money for a more diverse group of guns.

Likewise, I also no longer carry my Detonics Combat Master that I got in 1982 because it would be impossible to duplicate that pistol today. It has a number of custom modifications to it that would be difficult to duplicate as I no longer own a machine shop and an EDM. Also, finding a Combat Master made in Seattle today is both difficult and overly expensive for the pistol.

You really need to relax and not get so self-invested in the products you buy. You will also notice, that I'm fairly careful to only use the name of the pistol manufacturers that I own when it is germain to the conversation and not as name dropping.

While you accuse me of being a snob, to me it sounds more like jealously and envy on your part. In fact, I don't care what people buy or own as long as they're satisfied with the gun -that's the important part.
BC you really are full of yourself and need to stand down. You have pissed-off too many of my friends and I may need to spend some of my FTF capital here and give you a time-out. Don't push back when you lack the horsepower.

The two of you have been warned.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
StainlessSteel215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 821
Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default

Sure do have to go OUT of your way to piss off the mods around here. Time out fellas, we all love DW's but no need to have a 1911 pissing contest on the interwebs. Peace Love and Full Metal Jackets

__________________
StainlessSteel215 is offline  
canebrake Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #36
X-5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 37
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I don't see the offense, maybe you should go back and re-read this thread. You seem to me to be looking for a fight. There are far more polite people here on the FTF than me. I WILL NOT stand for trolling and have the ability to stop it in short order.



BC you really are full of yourself and need to stand down. You have pissed-off too many of my friends and I may need to spend some of my FTF capital here and give you a time-out. Don't push back when you lack the horsepower.

The two of you have been warned.
If you are referring to me being offended by that guy, you are wrong. I was agreeing with his thought that the DW Valor line is the best production 1911. That's why I highlighted his statement in red.
__________________
X-5 is offline  
MIMber Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque,New Mexico
Posts: 164
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
" You have pissed-off too many of my friends and I may need to spend some of my FTF capital here and give you a time-out."
I see... well I certainly apologize for "pissing-off" both you and your friends by having my own opinions.

Quote:
Don't push back when you lack the horsepower.
I'm not sure exactly what that means...I have a Daisy Red Ryder B-B gun that I got for Christmas in 1957 (I didn't shoot my eye out) - and I've been an avid gun collector and shooter ever since.
-
But, if it's horsepower...the ONLY experience I've had with it personally was in 1972. I grew up in a small town north of Detroit and there were a number of high horsepower cars running around - some that you supposedly couldn't even order.

I went to high school every day with a buddy that had a 409, dual-quad, 4:11 posi-traction, 4-speed Chevy Biscayne with the trim delete so it didn't even have the V-8 flags on it. I thought I knew what real horsepower was....

One day in 1972, I got a call from my buddy, who at that time was the service manager for a Ford dealer in Southfield, Michigan. He said, "You've gotta come over and see this." I said, "What is it?" He replied, "I can't even describe it."

So I went to see what he had. He took me into the back lot and said, "What do think?" All I saw was a red, two-door Ford Galaxie. I looked it over and it had a black interior with bucket seats and a...4-speed transmission?"

I said, "406? 428?" He just laughed and said, "Wait until you see this," and opened the hood. There, stuffed into the engine bay was a 427 side-oiler.

I was literally speachless. Here was an engine you only heard about in race cars and specially built vehicles.

He said, "Want to take it for a ride?" I answered "You bet." So, he tossed me the keys and said - "Look out, it can get away from you."

So, I took it for a ride for the next 40 or so minutes, and I have to tell you..up to that time I'd ridden in 409's, 396's, 440's, 426's....but, nothing had the performance of that car - even on the pathetic extra-wide bias ply tires.

That, my friend, was real horsepower...

And just to keep it on topic...I have a Valor and a VBOB. Both very fine guns and highly recommended. I did not, however, find the triggers to be what I had wanted so I had them changed and smoothed out. They both now break at 4.0 pounds with minimal takeup.

I also could not learn to use the Heine sights...I just don't find them easy to use so I had the rear sights changed with a target rear sight on the Valor and a two-dot sight on the VBOB.
__________________

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 01-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.
buckhorn_cortez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,198
Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50117

Default

I see... well I certainly apologize for "pissing-off" both you and your friends by having my own opinions.

Buckhorn, you are allowed your opinions and have every right to them, but when your posts and remarks sound condescending and snobbish, do understand that there are some of us that will find exception and bring it to your attention. i have said this before to you on another thread, that you may have some valuable knowledge to share, but if you come across as "holier than thou" many of us will turn a deaf ear to your words.

just because you are able to afford higher end firearms doesn't make you better than others and talking down to people tends to rub them the wrong way, me included. and many of your posts sound as though you are talking down to us and i can tell you, i don't allow people to do it to me in person, so don't think i will allow you to do it to me on this forum. if it's not your intention, then you might want to start rephrasing your remarks and comments. so have a good day and good luck.

__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
I see... well I certainly apologize for "pissing-off" both you and your friends by having my own opinions.

Buckhorn, you are allowed your opinions and have every right to them, but when your posts and remarks sound condescending and snobbish, do understand that there are some of us that will find exception and bring it to your attention. i have said this before to you on another thread, that you may have some valuable knowledge to share, but if you come across as "holier than thou" many of us will turn a deaf ear to your words.

just because you are able to afford higher end firearms doesn't make you better than others and talking down to people tends to rub them the wrong way, me included. and many of your posts sound as though you are talking down to us and i can tell you, i don't allow people to do it to me in person, so don't think i will allow you to do it to me on this forum. if it's not your intention, then you might want to start rephrasing your remarks and comments. so have a good day and good luck.

Wow, easily offended?
__________________
MIMber is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,918
Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMber

Wow, easily offended?
Wow, what's your other username? Since this is your second post(one here and the other in the 1911 thread), REALLY?
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
So many choices.... mrb1982 1911 Forum 48 12-29-2011 03:26 PM
IWB choices StanDJ77 Glock Forum 13 05-28-2011 05:21 AM
Choices, choices, choices.... ta1588 The Club House 17 05-28-2010 03:58 AM
Choices, choices, choices.. hillbilly68 Other Weapons 7 12-25-2008 11:15 AM
More choices cnorman18 The Club House 0 08-19-2007 03:40 AM