Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Dan Wesson Choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 570

I bought my DW 1911 in 10mm Match. Why buy one and have to send it back for trigger work?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #22

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i'll say without hesitation my AC Commander is every bit as reliable and probably just as accurate. far as i'm concerned, any of you can believe what ever floats your boats. i'm done.
I'll give you that,I'm sure it shoots everytime and I'm sure it's probably just as accurate with a person behind it.

If I just wanted an accurate,reliable carry gun I would have bought a glock 30sf. But I wanted a nice gun,all steel,no MIM,checkering,hand fitted,etc. you know... I wanted the works. I plan on this being the gun I passed down to my kids,I want this to be THAT gun,the one my future kids fight over after I croak. It was a 21st birthday present to myself,and I wanted the best. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I will agree that a RIA or AC is a better value for the money you spend on them compared to any other 1911,but I do feel I bought the best production gun when I got the vbob,but I payed a premium for it as well.

Didn't mean to offend partner.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #23
X-5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I bought my DW 1911 in 10mm Match. Why buy one and have to send it back for trigger work?
It cracks me up with all the posts on any 1911 forum of guys buying junk 1911s and immediately wanting to get their MIM replaced, trigger jobs done and other work, when you could save yourself all the headache and buy a quality 1911 from the start.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #24
X-5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I'll give you that,I'm sure it shoots everytime and I'm sure it's probably just as accurate with a person behind it.

If I just wanted an accurate,reliable carry gun I would have bought a glock 30sf. But I wanted a nice gun,all steel,no MIM,checkering,hand fitted,etc. you know... I wanted the works. I plan on this being the gun I passed down to my kids,I want this to be THAT gun,the one my future kids fight over after I croak. It was a 21st birthday present to myself,and I wanted the best. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I will agree that a RIA or AC is a better value for the money you spend on them compared to any other 1911,but I do feel I bought the best production gun when I got the vbob,but I payed a premium for it as well.

Didn't mean to offend partner.

You did!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-5

It cracks me up with all the posts on any 1911 forum of guys buying junk 1911s and immediately wanting to get their MIM replaced, trigger jobs done and other work, when you could save yourself all the headache and buy a quality 1911 from the start.
Hey I don't consider RIA,metro and the like junk guns. They are actually a great value for what you give for them.

I also saw your post about springfield a being inferior guns,which is absolutely bonkers.

Not everyone has the budget for Dan wessons or semi-customs,the previous guns I mentioned shoot,and they do it well. What's wrong with somebody buying a springfeild or American classic and making it exactly what they want part by part? Especially if they can't front 1500+ for a DW or custom shop gun with all the bells and whistles.

Ever heard the expression the best gun is the one in your hand? I bet you someone will do alot better against a home intruder with a Rock island than they would with a jar full of cash marked "Dan Wesson savings".

I say this because I'm a 21 year old electricians apprentice who lives on his own,and ate ramen noodles and worked long hours out of town and away from home to save the money for my Dan Wesson.

I also can smell snobbery from a ways off.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #26

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
i'll say without hesitation my AC Commander is every bit as reliable and probably just as accurate. far as i'm concerned, any of you can believe what ever floats your boats. i'm done

You'd have a hard time reconciling your statement with several reviews of the pistol that generally run as follows:

Quote:
After some work, the American Classic became considerably more reliable, but it still had sharp edges that became painful with any amount of shooting. The trigger was difficult to use, and when not held firmly with two hands, it was not reliable at all. Is the American Classic Commander worth the cost as an entry-level piece? Not in my opinion
But, I guess whatever floats your boat...

You'd be far more credible if you provided an unbiased evaluation, rather than one seemingly based on self investment in the pistol followed with a huffy exit.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #27

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I won't ever say of think that RIA and American Classics are junk guns. But that being said, the front sight fell off my RIA at the first range trip and the polished barrel hood was actually raw steel instead of stainless and it almost completely covered in rust after about a week. My A/C Commander had serious problems right out of the box. It wouldn't feed a single round. Had to send it back to a warranty center for major work before I ever got to shoot it. It's fixed now and is a very reliable and accurate.

But absolutely everyone is entitled to their opinions and I don't want to try to sway anyone's opinion. My experiences with the guns are what has shaped my opinion. Your mileage may vary depending on your experiences. But I'd happily trade my current A/C Commander for a Dan Wesson.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #28

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I also can smell snobbery from a ways off.
I think you're reading into his reply whatever you want.

Please, give the snobbery stuff a rest. He just made the observation that many people get into an inexpensive 1911 and immediately start dumping parts and time into it trying to make it into something else - or work...

Personally, I think if you buy an inexpensive 1911 as your only self defense firearm you've made the wrong choice to begin with. You'd be far better off taking less money and putting it into your choice of several different brands of used polymer pistols and then look at getting a 1911 as a longer range project.

I've had to do that and didn't suffer from having to wait. For self defense, the idea is to have the most reliable gun you can afford - not a certain style of gun you can afford.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #29
X-5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well guess waht Bucky, you are just the kind of gun snob that would make statements like that.

you and X-5 would make great room mates!

remember Bucky is the one who believes Sig 1911's are throwdowns because he has much better guns.

my AC Commander is very reliable and very accurate. and yes i do trust it with my life and those of my loved ones. personally irregardless of any firearm i own, rifle, shotgun or pistol, if i can't trust it, then i get rid of it, no matter how much it cost.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez

I think you're reading into his reply whatever you want.

Please, give the snobbery stuff a rest. He just made the observation that many people get into an inexpensive 1911 and immediately start dumping parts and time into it trying to make it into something else - or work...

Personally, I think if you buy an inexpensive 1911 as your only self defense firearm you've made the wrong choice to begin with. You'd be far better off taking less money and putting it into your choice of several different brands of used polymer pistols and then look at getting a 1911 as a longer range project.

I've had to do that and didn't suffer from having to wait. For self defense, the idea is to have the most reliable gun you can afford - not a certain style of gun you can afford.
I can maybe.... Maybe see someone seeing the price tag on a RIA or Metro and just passing them off as a inferior gun without picking the first one up,and that wouldn't make me brand anyone as an uppity or snobbish gun owner,bc for the most part you get what you pay for,but I think with those two guns you tend to get more than what you pay for most of the time.

But heaping Springfield in the junk 1911 catagory is crazy. Just like how the purists insist that if its not a original colt pattern gun or has an external extractor then its not a 1911. He's implying that if it doesn't have a big price tag or a certain name on it associated with Quasi-custom guns that its a junk or inferior gun.

Just Comes off as a bit condescending to me.