Dan Wesson Choices? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Dan Wesson Choices?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 454
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I thought the same at first,thinking that the only difference are an all steel frame and backstrap checkering and some other things of that nature. But others are saying that the valors are fitted better since that's they're flagship model. That the valors are basically semi-custom and that the guardians are just high end production when it comes to fit
Both DW models are production guns.
Both models are excellent (high-end) examples of production guns, but production guns nontheless.

Also, I own a Guardian and I own a Springfield loaded model ($800 production gun). No knock on Springfield but the DW is a far superior example of a production gun.
Either model choice would be a good one - you will not go wrong with either.
__________________
bartwatkins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins

Both DW models are production guns.
Both models are excellent (high-end) examples of production guns, but production guns nontheless.

Also, I own a Guardian and I own a Springfield loaded model ($800 production gun). No knock on Springfield but the DW is a far superior example of a production gun.
Either model choice would be a good one - you will not go wrong with either.
Thanks for the input (to everybody). I keep hearing the same thing you said from others. That Big name production 1911's are usually a safe bet on all counts,but DW truly gives you everything you could hope to expect out of a production gun.
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Stillersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 484
Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Well looks like I should be able to swing a Dan Wesson for my carry gun as a present to myself for my 21st bday. I'm looking at ordering a guardian in .45,but there's also a stainless VBOB at a LGS which will end up about 100-200 dollars more than the guardian. Question is,stay with guardian,or bite the bullet and go for the VBOB?
I think you already know you want the VBOB... So, GO FOR IT!!
__________________
Gun Control: The ability to get perfect groups on center mass under extreme stress.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member
Stillersfan is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,416
Liked 2960 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Default

So...the CCO doesn't blow your skirt up? Great carry gun & a heck of a shooter as well. I'm really happy with mine.
If I didn't already have the CCO, I'd be sorely tempted by the Guardian. IMHO, the alloy frame will make a it a better choice for carrying than the V-Bob. YMMV.
The V-Bob is a great gun, but you're approaching Les Baer pricing territory, especially if you get the Black Duty finish. I really like DW products, but they might want to look at their pricing.
http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html

__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Overkill0084 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
So...the CCO doesn't blow your skirt up? Great carry gun & a heck of a shooter as well. I'm really happy with mine.
If I didn't already have the CCO, I'd be sorely tempted by the Guardian. IMHO, the alloy frame will make a it a better choice for carrying than the V-Bob. YMMV.
The V-Bob is a great gun, but you're approaching Les Baer pricing territory, especially if you get the Black Duty finish. I really like DW products, but they might want to look at their pricing.
http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html
Well I do put merit in the aluminum frame of the guardian,but I have wondered if it would hold up as well as a steel frame in the long run,I've never had the opportunity to purchase a gun this nice before and probably won't again for a long time. And I want to be able to pass this gun on to whomever I see fit once that time comes and would like it to last that long.

About the CCO I am not a small guy and have large hands and just don't take well to the feel of that shorter frame,I like a full sized gun when at all possible. And most people I've talked to say a bobtail is just as easy to conceal as an officer sized frame in all but swim truck weather.

And the les baers are out if my price range. The VBOB is about all I could muster.
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,416
Liked 2960 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Well I do put merit in the aluminum frame of the guardian, but I have wondered if it would hold up as well as a steel frame in the long run, I've never had the opportunity to purchase a gun this nice before and probably won't again for a long time. And I want to be able to pass this gun on to whomever I see fit once that time comes and would like it to last that long.

About the CCO I am not a small guy and have large hands and just don't take well to the feel of that shorter frame,I like a full sized gun when at all possible.
And most people I've talked to say a bobtail is just as easy to conceal as an officer sized frame in all but swim truck weather.
If it's a carry gun that will be shot now & then, get the Guardian.
If you want a shooter that will also be carried, get the V-Bob.
Choose correctly, and you should be able to pass on either one.

I'm 6'3," 250ish lbs. My hands are not small by any means. I find the CCO is quite manageable. If you have the opportunity to handle one, do so. You might be surprised. But, yeah, the bobbed Commander style frame probably isn't much harder to conceal.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Overkill0084 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
If it's a carry gun that will be shot now & then, get the Guardian.
If you want a shooter that will also be carried, get the V-Bob.
Choose correctly, and you should be able to pass on either one.

I'm 6'3," 250ish lbs. My hands are not small by any means. I find the CCO is quite manageable. If you have the opportunity to handle one, do so. You might be surprised. But, yeah, the bobbed Commander style frame probably isn't much harder to conceal.
I'll be sure to look for one to handle,or a CCO type gun. I know of a c3 on consignment at the local gun range. I also should mention that having that full capacity mag as opposed to the officer capacity gives me a warm and fuzzy,not sure how I feel about being restricted to 6 and 7 rounders
__________________
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
X-5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 37
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I thought the same at first,thinking that the only difference are an all steel frame and backstrap checkering and some other things of that nature. But others are saying that the valors are fitted better since that's they're flagship model. That the valors are basically semi-custom and that the guardians are just high end production when it comes to fit
ALL Dan Wesson's are fit to the same level. The Guardian is essentially a aluminum framed V-bob.
__________________
X-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i can name several. RIA, MetroArms, High Standard, ect.,,,,,,hmmm.....

sounds like maybe we have gun snob aboard!
I tend to agree with a lot of what Axxe has to say, but I'll have to disagree with this. Having owned both RIA and Metro Arms 1911s as well as two Dan Wessons, there is absolutely no comparison in quality. Nothing wrong with the RIA or Metro, but DWs are in a completely different galaxy in terms of quality, fit, and finish. Having owned a lot of other different 1911 brands, I'd put DW above every other production gun.
__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i can name several. RIA, MetroArms, High Standard, ect.,,,,,,hmmm.....

sounds like maybe we have gun snob aboard!
Axxe you are one of a few people one this board who's posts I always pay attention to.

But there's not a snowballs chance in hell any RIA,metro arms,or high standard is in the same class as this V-BOB. Price aside of course.

And I'm a budget gun guy btw,the most expensive gun I bought before the V-BOB was one third it's price.

The guns you mentioned are awesome guns for the money,but they just don't have the fitting and features higher end guns have.
__________________

Last edited by Jstrong; 01-06-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Jstrong is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
So many choices.... mrb1982 1911 Forum 48 12-29-2011 03:26 PM
IWB choices StanDJ77 Glock Forum 13 05-28-2011 05:21 AM
Choices, choices, choices.... ta1588 The Club House 17 05-28-2010 03:58 AM
Choices, choices, choices.. hillbilly68 Other Weapons 7 12-25-2008 11:15 AM
More choices cnorman18 The Club House 0 08-19-2007 03:40 AM