Dan Wesson?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Dan Wesson?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dan Wesson?

Hey all, I'm just looking for some thoughts from some of you 1911 "experts".

My bro is looking to get a 1911, and is really hot for Dan Wessons. I don't know much about them, though. They sure seem like nice guns, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are of them? Good gun? Good gun for price? Better value with other brands? Potential regret buy?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dan Wesson makes a good gun. I wouldn't call them "elite" or top shelf. but they aren't a bargain basement model either.

Wesson arms has changed owners several times, and have had a RASH of financial problems.

Currently they are owned by CZ-USA, I believe, and they are a good company that holds some strong ties both here and in Europe.

Dan Wesson started as a pretty damn good revolver company, but 1911s were not their forte' until the recent 1911 boom.

For around $1K, average price, you can get some other 1911s that are a little better known.

I don't personally own a Dan Wesson, so I can't speak to their operational ability. I have shot two in my life, at a range, here you shoot mine and I will shoot yours sort of thing. Neither one was butter smooth, but I didn't have a problem with either weapon. They shoot straight, they function and I hit what I was aiming at.

I think $1,000 is a good sum to pay for a pistol, so make sure you are getting a solid reputation and a solid warranty should you need any work...

JD

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I owned a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, or CBOB. It had a nicer trigger than my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.

Dan Wesson pistols are still made in upstate New York even though they are owned by CZ. Most of the parts, at least in the CBOB are Ed Brown parts. If you know who Ed Brown is, I shouldn't have to tell you about the excellent quality.

Mine was accurate, reliable and an absolutely sweet shooter. It fed hollow points, truncated cone and ball ammos, anything it was fed perfectly. I don't know about the other models, but if he wants a Commander size pistol, he won't go wrong with the DW.

Personally, I think the DW pistols are underpriced for their quality and as such are a screamin' deal. (again, I only know firsthand about the CBOB)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

What he said. Probably one of the best values in a 1911 right now. For a tad more than a Kimber, get a REALLY nice 1911.

I have 2 Kimbers and I'm jonesin' for a DW or an Ed Brown.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

As I didn't need 2 target grade 1911s, I recently sold my Dan Wesson PM-7. The only reason I sold it and kept the 1st gen Kimber is that I can buy another DW if needs be.

IMHO, about the best $1K 1911 on the market...

Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

DW's are, in my opinion, the best value for the money out there today. Quality is HIGH with many touches you would expect from custom pieces. They are hand fit and don't roll off of some assembly line. The total output for DW this year is only 3,000 units, and that includes their entire line including the new CCO. CBOB's are the lions share of that number. The point is that EVERY DW gets personal attention to detail. I've got a 2007 CBOB and I'm going to pick up another CBOB 2009 if that tells you anything about any hesitancy I have in spending my money on them.
GREAT weapons.
Good luck,
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd prefer my money go to an American owned company that uses American made parts. I'd be interested to see what percentages of the parts come from overseas and what percentage are US made.

I guess you could be looking into a Canadian Sig, or worse.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Last I looked, Ed Brown was an American company and upstate New York was still part of the U.S.A. CZ may be Czech, but with industry as globalized as it is, at least some of that money stays here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'd prefer my money go to an American owned company that uses American made parts. I'd be interested to see what percentages of the parts come from overseas and what percentage are US made.

I guess you could be looking into a Canadian Sig, or worse.
Buying American means nothing to me if all I'm doing is subsidizing corrupt and greedy unions and fostering lack of competition and poor quality. I will always look for the most bang for the buck, heck, my latest 1911 is Chinese...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-04-2009 at 12:08 AM.