Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Crimson Trace for 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/crimson-trace-1911-a-85640/)

Slick57 03-03-2013 01:14 AM

Crimson Trace for 1911

I just ordered some Crimson Trace grips for a full-size 1911. Any cautions, warnings or tips so I can learn from someone else's experience?

Thanks

45touch 03-03-2013 05:20 AM

What is the purpose of the laser sights in the first place?
I have 3 and technically they are excellent, but laser sights for me have only 3 uses:
1- able to aim behind cover with less exposure
2- moving targets
3- zombies :)

For low light, no light or better visual I prefer a good night sight (and a flashlight). Never runs out of battery and does not give away your position.

If you watch the promotional video from crimson, they emphasize both scenarios.

Zombies are for military, swat, airsoft, video games etc. the pros. You became too visible. It's aka shtf. Than you might consider a red dot, but in a pistol it requires a big mount. And again, batteries.

Regards

deadsp0t 03-03-2013 06:39 AM

Faster target acquisition and re acquisition.

HOSSFLY 03-03-2013 12:42 PM

CT grips are fine if you practice with them---A LOT!

canebrake 03-04-2013 02:07 AM

Laser sights are an unnecessary crutch. When you become 100% dependent on them.....the battery dies.

Remember, light sighting is a two way street. I prefer to throw lead, not a locator beacon.

45touch 03-04-2013 01:36 PM

Faster target acquisition is highly debatable because point shooting has proved again and again more effective in this area, specially for multiple targets. The more you fix your eyes in the target to shoot the less time you have to move to the other. With point shooting you can shoot one target without setting your eyes on it while preparing the next shots.

I save the batteries for behind cover shots and fast moving targets as crimson itself designed the sights to be used for (watch the free DVD).

One caveat I found, the micro laser ones that attach to picatiny rails turn off by themselves in snappier rounds if you go rapid fire (.40). But again, they were not designed for that purpose.

Hope it helps

johnpfaff 03-15-2013 10:36 PM

I disagree with the faster target acquisition comment. Afer using Crimson Trace grips for a couple of years, I found myself waiting for the dot, adding a little bit of time. I feel that Crimson Trace grips may encourage shots that are poorly defined with a decreased awareness of what is behind your target. If one cannot see well enough to take the shot without the Crimson Trace, then one should not take the shot - just sayin'.

45touch 03-17-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpfaff
I disagree with the faster target acquisition comment. Afer using Crimson Trace grips for a couple of years, I found myself waiting for the dot, adding a little bit of time. I feel that Crimson Trace grips may encourage shots that are poorly defined with a decreased awareness of what is behind your target. If one cannot see well enough to take the shot without the Crimson Trace, then one should not take the shot - just sayin'.

Yup. I agree 100%. Laser is a backup technology. Just refer to CT DVD, they explain it.

limbkiller 03-17-2013 09:28 PM

They are a waste of money and time.