The creator to get his due?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > The creator to get his due?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default The creator to get his due?

Link to original article

Utah has a state flower, a state fossil, a state cooking pot and 21 other official symbols. It might soon add a state gun. The state House passed a measure Wednesday, by a 51-19 vote, that would make the Browning M1911 pistol - designed by Utah’s John Moses Browning in the early 20th century - the state firearm. The bill now goes to the state Senate.
The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer, has said the measure aims to honor Browning. His M1911 was used as a standard U.S. Army sidearm from 1911 to 1985, according to the Browning manufacturing company's website and Jane's Infantry Weapons.

The measure has attracted criticism from anti-gun activists and some state House members. Some lawmakers argued in debate Wednesday that it was insensitive after the January 8 shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that killed six and wounded 13, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.
One state lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Carol Moss, said during Wednesday's debate on the House floor that in addition to her concerns regarding the Arizona shooting, she was worried that children would see things such as coloring books featuring the gun along with the other state symbols, the Tribune reported.
Steve Gunn of the Gun Violence Prevention Center told CNN affiliate KSL last month - before the Tuscon shooting - that he thought the proposal was in bad taste.
"I would nominate arsenic as our state poison, because, of course arsenic is often a byproduct of our state mining industry," Gunn sarcastically told KSL in December.
Wimmer told KSL this week that "this pistol is Utah," and its history "is emblazoned on our state." He added that rather than gloryfying an implement of death, as he said some critics charged, "we're glorifying an implement of freedom that has defended us for 100 years."
During Wednesday's debate, one lawmaker suggested erecting a statue of Browning instead, but Wimmer countered that his plan was the only way to honor the gun designer without costing taxpayers, the Tribune reported.

Is it just me that finds it interesting that the anti gun guy is named Gunn?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Get his due..dang I really should spell check better when I've been up for more than a day

Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Is it just me that finds it interesting that the anti gun guy is named Gunn?
I found it pretty funny as well.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

NY calls dibs on the remington 870!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hand wringing, bed wetting, scared of their own shadow, liberal azzhats.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It's pretty cool that they have adopted a state gun, unfortunately I dont think any manufacturers or firearm inventors are from Colorado.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

I was unable to make it, But I had a few friends go and here is a little footage of an Apache Helicopter that was there, Not to mention you could open carry(if that's your thing) in the Capitol

From what I was told there was a small yet pristine collection of Browning weapons.

A little from our local news...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=14125456

Last edited by VitSports6; 01-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Thanks to the mod that fixed that title.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It'd only be insensitive if they declared 8 January "Glock Day".

Aside from that, I'm all for it. Even though I'm from WA.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey, I'm all for it.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer