Considering a first 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Considering a first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Considering a first 1911

While I was at the range the other day my eye came to some of the handguns they had for sale. I spotted an all black 1911 and saw that it was a Taurus. Even as a Marine I dont specialize in handguns, so it came to a surprise that even Taurus had a 1911 model.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I'm thinking about buying it, the price tag was for 650.00 so I think thats a great deal being that the frames aren't cast and I've never had a problem with a Taurus even with them being based out of (Brazil I think).

My hand fell in love with it, I read up on the notes to the forum, I think everything fits in to place. Anyone have any experience with Taurus 1911's? The sight's were great, it fit my hand like a glove, surprisingly thin as well especially for a .45 so I'm really considering going for this.

Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

With their famous quality control issues, I'd never recommend a Taurus to anyone. While their 1911s don't seem to suffer from the same terrible failures the poly guns do, there are better choices out there. I'd buy a Rock Island 100 times before I bought a Taurus.

Unless you plan to shoot 100s of thousands of rounds - I doubt whether a forged or cast frame will make any difference to you. Yes, I've owned a couple of Taurus 1911s and they are OK but noting special...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

For about the same price, take a look at a Springfield Mil Spec. I'm just sayin'...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

thanks for that input, price is a big factor (new family, new base, new apartment) so I like hearing that, I thought springfields were purchased higher.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Depends where you're located. You should be able to get a Rock Island Tactical (about the sames features as Taurus) for around $500. A Springer Mil-Spec (wouldn't recommend the GI) is in the $550-$650 range...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Another solution, try out some other 1911's, go to some local gun shops and handle a few or go to a local range, rent and shoot a few different ones and find what you like and then do some research. Taurus grips are very similar to all 1911 grips, but functionality and reliability of the pistol could be much different from others.

Instead of plunking down $650 all at once for a pistol, check with a local gun shops or look for an online dealer that offers a lay-away plan. You can probably find a better 1911 for a couple hundred more, minimize your payments and make it more affordable for you for 60-90 days or longer, in some cases.

If you change your mind, many dealers will let you convert the funds already paid to something else. It may take you longer, but it will be well worth the wait.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got one and my only complaint is the ambidextrous thumb safety. It tends to loosen over time. Other than that there have been no problems and I would recommend them as a good entry level 1911. I bought mine slightly used for a little under $400. To be honest though I don't think I would have paid 650 for one, even new.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Depends where you're located. You should be able to get a Rock Island Tactical (about the sames features as Taurus) for around $500. A Springer Mil-Spec (wouldn't recommend the GI) is in the $550-$650 range...
+100!!

Listen to this man.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The PT1911 is not a bad weapon. But in your situation don't center in one one model and say that's it. The Mil-Spec Springers are pretty good weapons and will come out the box and run 100%. Also the Rock Islands while not the prettiest are fine pistols. A great deal for the money put into them. If you want the Rock with the same featured as the PT1911 look at the tactical. The trigger is not quite the same but it will have the ambi safety and they usually group really well out of the box. I've been hearing good things out of the Para Ord GI Expert as well but I don't have near enough personal knowledge of that weapon. I do own two other Para's and love them both. One is my daily carry weapon (Para LTC).

Any of the above listed are well worth looking at. and you really will do yourself a service to check them all out of you can. Out of all of them the Rock Island might be the best deal. It will more often than not be the least expensive. With the RIA though being the type of ambi safety they use standard 1911 grips will not fit right unless you do a little hand fitting. The safety is made a little different and rides a tad closer to the frame on one side.I was able to fit some on mine with a dremmel that I have set up on a drill press type rig and a sanding wheel. If you can swing the Springer Mil Spec that would be the one I'd get if it was me looking. If not that then the RIA,PT1911,them maybe Para Gi...If it was me.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dump the Taurus, here's some great deals on RIAs:

Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 .45 Nickel for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $499.00

Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $399.00

Rock Island Armory - 1911-A1 Tactical, .45 ACP

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello