Conditioning the matte parkerized slide finish? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Conditioning the matte parkerized slide finish?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Yeah, I had just gotten my parkerized finish the way I liked it, well conditioned with oil (I used gear oil). I swore I would keep it parked because it shows the honest wear and I kinda like that. But I got a cold blue kit to refurbish my shotgun, and got a wild hair up my ass and did my 1911 too.

I stripped the slide myself, but because of all the nooks and crannies on the frame, I had it bead blasted, then I polished it by hand and finished it.

Cost 12 bucks to blast the frame.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Parkerizing is meant to be that way so that it will absorb and hold oil to prevent corrosion.

If you want to see how the finish changes, simply take a clean tag with some heavy gun oil and start rubbing the oil into the metal. Do this regularly and you'll start seeing a smoother finish.
I never heard that before. I'll try it out on my 17.
__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 81
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Sure hate getting my posts deleted.
thewildwonder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildwonder View Post
Sure hate getting my posts deleted.
Yours wasn't the only one. Move on.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Parkerizing is meant to be that way so that it will absorb and hold oil to prevent corrosion.

If you want to see how the finish changes, simply take a clean tag with some heavy gun oil and start rubbing the oil into the metal. Do this regularly and you'll start seeing a smoother finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Very true-
I did mine over a week or so while watching TV at night
Thats what i call multi-tasking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I never heard that before. I'll try it out on my 17.
It do work
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 483
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildwonder View Post
So you never used anything else on a Parker finish... Sounds legit
OK - been gone a few days so I guess I missed some stuff and a few posts must have been deleted....
But are you saying here that you think, for some unknown reason, that I am a liar or making stuff up or something?
Just trying to understand - but what would be my motivation for that?
bartwatkins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
StainlessSteel215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 821
Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default

guy is a moron picking a fight for the sake of picking a fight.....lets move on

Solid advice and feedback guys, thanks, specially to you Bart. I think your advice was sound and accurate....and I shall try it out when the time comes!
StainlessSteel215 is offline  
bartwatkins Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post

OK - been gone a few days so I guess I missed some stuff and a few posts must have been deleted....
But are you saying here that you think, for some unknown reason, that I am a liar or making stuff up or something?
Just trying to understand - but what would be my motivation for that?
I can surely vouch for Bart. If he's giving advice, it's because he knows what he's talking about.
Olympus is offline  
bartwatkins Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
parkerized finish little rust cghamm117 General Shotgun Discussion 4 03-07-2013 03:39 AM
Wax on a matte finish barrel? chloeshooter General Rifle Discussion 2 09-05-2012 04:21 AM
Remington's parkerized finish pe175 General Shotgun Discussion 14 05-20-2012 07:59 PM
surface rust on a matte finish. drewoufan Engraving & Refinishing 3 09-27-2011 06:19 AM
BERSA Thunder .380 Matte Blue Finish $270.14 Cope's Distributing Sponsor Display 0 04-21-2011 07:37 PM



Newest Threads