Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Conditioning the matte parkerized slide finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

So aside from putting your mystery blend on the moving parts of the slide & frame that require it....you also rub this into the slide to condition the metal and make it a little smoother?

Results on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks guys for all the input

Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #12

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
So aside from putting your mystery blend on the moving parts of the slide & frame that require it....you also rub this into the slide to condition the metal and make it a little smoother?

Results on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks guys for all the input
Umm not sure how to rate it on a scale (as I don't really have anything to compare it against)...
But yes, I liberally rub it into the finish and have done this for years. It has both smoothed out somewhat and also changed the color over time to a more darker matte black.

But it is not "smoothed out" to the point of looking like a polished blued finish or anything. It is still a dull matte black.

That said the gun is Alchemy Custom as we speak and will come back with a satin black Bearcoat (teflon based similar to Armory Kote) finish.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Thanks Bart, Im going to use your magic recipe!

The dull drabby parkerized has always bothered me...a darker more rich and shiny black finish could be the cure

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Thanks Bart, Im going to use your magic recipe!

The dull drabby parkerized has always bothered me...a darker more rich and shiny black finish could be the cure
OK & also if you want to play around just a bit with the proportions of ATF & Marvel Oil - you can do that (I do sometimes).
Marvel Mystery Oil is a great penetrating oil (similar to Kano Kroil) but just like Kroil, it is extremely thin or not viscous at all.

If you prefer your oil mixture to be just a bit more thick - you can go 15% ATF and 5% Marvel Mystery Oil
Just play around with that a bit as the more Marvel Myster Oil you use the thinner your mixture will be.

One thing is for sure - a quart or Mobil 1 will last you for a long, long time!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

So you make your own but have nothing to compare it to?... How do you know other oils aren't better then?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildwonder View Post
So you make your own but have nothing to compare it to?... How do you know other oils aren't better then?
I'm just good that way :-)

Seriously....
I think that the question was - what do I have to compare it to specifically in regards to rubbing the oil containing ATF fluid into a parkerized finish and will that aid in smoothing the finish.
I have blended my lubricating oil mixture for years and have owned my SA loaded (with park'd finish) since 2011. I have never rubbed any other oil into it's finish. Thus my answer.

As far as the lubricating qualities of oils. To me, it is not a question of "better" but a question of "just as good" and/or "more cost effective".

I purchased gun oil in all of it's various brand/types for years and years at X dollar amount for like 2 oz or 4 oz or 6 oz (most gun oil is sold at these packaged amounts).
When I compared that to the cost of just buying my own by the quart and blending it myself, I found that it was far more cost effective.
In my opinion, commercial packaged gun oils are essentially the exact same thing as what I blend - just packaged and sold to be much more expensive by the fluid ounce.

Again, opinions vary with lubricants just as much as they do with favorite brands and types of guns themselves. So take my opinions for what they are worth. If you want to blend and try mine - go for it. If you want to stick with commercially sold oil, fine too.

PS - Another person who blends a very similar mixture on this forum is Canebrake. I also believe that he has done this for years too.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

So you never used anything else on a Parker finish... Sounds legit

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #18

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

Why don't YOU try something different & then offer some real input???
That's too much work. It's a lot easier to give hassle to other people on forums.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #19

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I stripped the parkerizing from mine...

forumrunner_20130512_204543.jpg

And blued it.

forumrunner_20130512_204653.jpg

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #20

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I'm duracoating my RIA GI, the park is supposed to make a great base for the coat to adhere to. But that's just the slide so I have been rubbing in some heavy coats of rem oil on the stripped frame. So far it looks much better, doesn't have that powderish looking finish anymore