Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Conditioning the matte parkerized slide finish? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/conditioning-matte-parkerized-slide-finish-90009/)

StainlessSteel215 05-03-2013 02:09 PM

Conditioning the matte parkerized slide finish?

I was watching a youtube video of my boy Pete at the Armory Channel. A while back he picked up a Rock Island compact tactical 1911 and had his 'smith condition the metal to a smooth and satin end result. Ive never seen this process before but the gun looked fantastic and smooth afterwards. Thats honestly by biggest gripe with the Rock Islands...the cheap dull matte finish. This could be a nice workaround if the price is right....

anyone have experience with this process? worth it?

Olympus 05-03-2013 02:22 PM

Parkerizing is meant to be that way so that it will absorb and hold oil to prevent corrosion.

If you want to see how the finish changes, simply take a clean tag with some heavy gun oil and start rubbing the oil into the metal. Do this regularly and you'll start seeing a smoother finish.

StainlessSteel215 05-03-2013 06:53 PM

Really? Ive never owned a gun with the dull parkerized finish so I was weary...but if its as simple as working oil into the metal repeatedly I think I can get over this rough looking finish. Thanks man

Olympus 05-03-2013 07:25 PM

No problem. I mean it's always going to be somewhat rough. That's just the nature of the parkerizing. But the oil will smooth it up a little over time and give it a more uniform color. If someone "polished" it out, I'd be afraid that they removed some of the protective finish off. Dull and rough and protective is better than smooth and polished and more likely to corrode.

Hawg 05-03-2013 10:24 PM

Automatic transmission fluid is good on parkerizing.

thewildwonder 05-05-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg
Automatic transmission fluid is good on parkerizing.

Is that true!? How and why?

DrumJunkie 05-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewildwonder (Post 1237348)
Is that true!? How and why?

I was curious about it sa well and got to looking . Seems that Automatic Transmission Fluid is a great deacidifying oil. I found it in a few different pages about parkerizing or blueing parts.

HOSSFLY 05-05-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1235200)
Parkerizing is meant to be that way so that it will absorb and hold oil to prevent corrosion.

If you want to see how the finish changes, simply take a clean tag with some heavy gun oil and start rubbing the oil into the metal. Do this regularly and you'll start seeing a smoother finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1235404)
Really? Ive never owned a gun with the dull parkerized finish so I was weary...but if its as simple as working oil into the metal repeatedly I think I can get over this rough looking finish. Thanks man

Very true-
I did mine over a week or so while watching TV at night :)
Thats what i call multi-tasking :D

thewildwonder 05-07-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

I was curious about it sa well and got to looking . Seems that Automatic Transmission Fluid is a great deacidifying oil. I found it in a few different pages about parkerizing or blueing parts.

Did you read it or actually try it? Two very different things lol

bartwatkins 05-07-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewildwonder (Post 1239656)
Did you read it or actually try it? Two very different things lol

Opinions on the "best" lubes vary as much as "best" guns or "best" brand threads....
That said however, I blend my own gun oil/lube and have for years. ATF fluid is great and is one of my main ingredients.
I have a Springer loaded 1911 that is park'd and the finish responds to basically any oil/lube but ATF fluid is great on it too.
So I actually try it (or have/do use it).

Here is my mixture blend by the way:
I use this oil blend exclusively on all my pistols and rifles.

80% - Mobil 1 synthetic (5w-30)
10% - Marvel Mystery Oil
10% - Dextron VI ATF