Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Concealed carry holster for S&W 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/concealed-carry-holster-s-w-1911-a-20025/)

CaptJim 11-12-2009 08:15 PM

Concealed carry holster for S&W 1911

I want to carry my new S&W1911 C&L and with the holster I got recently Tagua Gun Leather - Gun Holsters, Leather Holsters, Pistol Holsters, Western Holsters, Shoulder Holsters, Glock Holsters I've been having problems. The snap seem to land right over the top of the safety and as I move/run/work it forces the safety down (OFF/FIRE!). Anyone else ever have a similar problem? Anyone got a holster they think will work better for me?

Thanks, Capt Jim

CA357 11-13-2009 12:07 AM

Lots of folks like the Milt Sparks offerings.

CaptJim 11-13-2009 02:14 AM

Let me try this again...

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking for a thumb break holster or something with some sort of restraint. I see my first post came out kinda wrong. This is the holster I'm having problems with... Tagua Gun Leather - Gun Holsters, Leather Holsters, Pistol Holsters, Western Holsters, Shoulder Holsters, Glock Holsters

Any suggestions ?

Thanks again!
CaptJim

canebrake 11-14-2009 12:56 PM

Not to be a pain but isn't thumb break/restraint and concealed carry mutually exclusive in a holster description?

General_lee 11-14-2009 01:02 PM

Get a Thunderwear IWB holster and never look back:D

CaptJim 11-15-2009 02:54 AM

You're absolutely right

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 186002)
Not to be a pain but isn't thumb break/restraint and concealed carry mutually exclusive in a holster description?

Not necessarily... I'm looking for something like this Commerce Storefront B2C for corporate/executive security jobs, but, as I said, the one I bought keeps knocking my 1911 safe into the "off/fire" position. I'd rather not buy a dozen until I find one that works so I thought I'd see if anyone has had any experience with anything like this.

Thanks again.
CaptJim

Grayowl 11-28-2009 03:27 PM

I carried a 1911 in a Bianchi 7L thumb brake holster for 0ver 25 years and never had the thumb safety disengage. I'm now using a Bianchi X15 with no problems. Many departments are now going with the Blackhawk Serpa holster as it provides the best security and the rigid polymer construction doesn't let the holster side rub the thumb safety like a nylon or leather holster might. My guns have a stock thumb safety - if you have an extended safety - that could be part of your problem.

Bruce,
Savage Pistol Defense School

CaptJim 01-06-2010 03:47 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grayowl (Post 191553)
I carried a 1911 in a Bianchi 7L thumb brake holster for 0ver 25 years and never had the thumb safety disengage. I'm now using a Bianchi X15 with no problems. Many departments are now going with the Blackhawk Serpa holster as it provides the best security and the rigid polymer construction doesn't let the holster side rub the thumb safety like a nylon or leather holster might. My guns have a stock thumb safety - if you have an extended safety - that could be part of your problem.

Bruce,
Savage Pistol Defense School

Sorry it too me so long to respond. My younger brother passed away from pancreatic cancer just after I posted this question and things have been real messed up since. He has a wife and 2 little kids I'm trying to help take care of. Anyway thanks... I actually did go with the Blackhawk Serpa before I even saw your response. Been happy with it so far. The hard plastic paddle is a little tough on my bony ass/hips sometimes like when sitting in the car, but I love the quick access and positive locking action. Thanks again!
Capt. Jim