Compensators? Mags? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Compensators? Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451

Simple answers;

Mags- Wildon Combat, McCormick and Tripp. Get any of them from Brownell's.

Compensator- Same source, but it is not going to be a do it yourself project if you want a "good" one. It will require a threaded barrel and the attention of a gunsmith that knows how to fit the barrel and comp. Depending on whether the comp is a cone type or one intended for use with a barrel bushing, you may have to get a longer barrel and have it fitted to the gun as well.

If you just want a comp for the "cool factor" appearance, I would still recommend a threaded on comp, professionally fit.

JW
So there's not a place I can just order a pre setup deal and just put it on my gun?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcobra08 View Post
So there's not a place I can just order a pre setup deal and just put it on my gun?
Brownell's currently lists a drop in barrel with comp for 1911s made by Clark Customs. Bare in mind, that it may or may not actually "drop in". Due to the variety of 1911 manufacturers, making a drop in barrel that truly fits well, is nearly impossible. This can result in anything from failure to be able to install it without fitting, to poor accuracy and reliability, and even damage to your slide and frame due to improper engagement of lockup surfaces. The cost of the Clark setup is $279.

JW
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #23

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451 View Post
That was the distinction I was trying to make. Unfortunately, too many shooters do not understand this distinction. They look in the latest Brownell's catelog, see the bushing comps, and don't know any better than to try one. This is a subject that is not well understood by people until they have experienced it, or gotten good advice from a gunsmith with a background in this type of equipment.

JW
The difference is simple, bushing comp ~$50; a well engineered, tested and with proven efficacy $600+.

You want a cool factor to impress small children and pets? Go with the bushing comp.

You want one to work? Buy a gun that needs a comp!

OR.........Install a 460 Rowland Kit.

^ On my Colt XSE, it works! (and it's needed)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #24

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Oh yea, when it comes to 1911 magazines; Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Mags, and never look back.

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and order one of his Cobra Mags. (Tell him canebrake said hi.) Run the Cobra mag and if for any reason you find it less than flawless, I'll buy it from you including shipping to you and to me! My money is on you ordering more Cobra Mags. Yes, they are that good!

Before you buy any mag, read the following;

Tripp’s Cobra Magazine Test

I bought a kimber pro carry II

1911 and Hollow Points

1911 magazine question, Cane..Anyone

Upgrade your Mags

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello