Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Compensators? Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19795 Times on 11238 Posts
Likes Given: 49889

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451 View Post
That was the distinction I was trying to make. Unfortunately, too many shooters do not understand this distinction. They look in the latest Brownell's catelog, see the bushing comps, and don't know any better than to try one. This is a subject that is not well understood by people until they have experienced it, or gotten good advice from a gunsmith with a background in this type of equipment.

JW
CubDriver, i agree with both your posts on this subject and think you are correct, but, (you knew i had one!), lots of people want to use one because they look cool. so they tend to put one on, simply so the pistol looks, "badazz". for SD or carry pistol, exactly the reason Dan said, they are useless and actually IMO, a liability to the person shooting.

a truly effective compensator for a 1911, is going to have to be threaded and fitted to the pistol, by a compentent gunsmith. that's not cheap. most shooters are probably not going to notice the difference when shooting factory load ammo, but a competition using the pistol to win a match will. building a competition 1911 pistol would be one of the few times i would see a practical need for a 1911 pistol.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I completely aggree, Axxe

I think many people care more about the look of their firearms ad-ons than the do about the function of them. Maybe I'm just old fashioned (or maybe just old), but I am a firm believer that form follows function. In other words, if it works well, and is done in the simplest means available, it usually looks pretty damned good.

As a part of this theory, I also think the bushing comps tend to look horrible. I think that a knowledge of what they do and don't do has an effect on how I perceive the looks of them. Consider that I own and have built numerous custom 1911s, both for myself and others, and that I am a machinist by trade and very picky about fit and finish as a result of this. A well fit compensator is a work of art. A poorly fit bushing comp, in my opinion, looks cheap and like it was added as an afterthought.

I would also be willing to bet that many of the people considering this type of addition have probably never held or closely examined a truly well hand fit and finished custom gun. This certainly has an effect on how a person views what looks good or not. I have often heard people question the reason for spending multiple thousands on custom built guns vs. simply buying a well equipped factory gun. The answer is in the detailed hand work and cannot be explained as easily as it can be seen. Even detailed photos commonly fail to show the level of fit and finish that many custom guns display.

JW

Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

CubDriver, i am in complete agreement with you on this! i too am getting older, and hopefully wiser, and have in the past resorted to tacky add-ons in the quest to have my guns look cool. well time has taught me that i was wrong.

compensator perform a useful function when done correctly using the correct parts. if i was shooting hot ammo in a competition pistol or shooting a lager bore 1911 with hot ammo, i might see the need for a compensator on my pistols. but for my use and needs, and those of most people who own and shoot 1911's, they just are not needed in a practical sense.

i agree, that when a compensator is thought of when building the 1911 and not an afterthought, and made to match the lines of the pistol, they are truly nice looking. but that level of work isn't cheap. most of the bushing comps can be bought for less than $80.

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Now that I have read all of this I still don't have a good answer. To which everyone makes and assumption as to what I was looking for.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcobra08 View Post
Now that I have read all of this I still don't have a good answer. To which everyone makes and assumption as to what I was looking for.
well over past couple of years, would you like to guess how many times on 1911 forum here we have seen that same question about compensators? quite a few times to say the least!

a little background and details go a long ways here.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Simple answers;

Mags- Wildon Combat, McCormick and Tripp. Get any of them from Brownell's.

Compensator- Same source, but it is not going to be a do it yourself project if you want a "good" one. It will require a threaded barrel and the attention of a gunsmith that knows how to fit the barrel and comp. Depending on whether the comp is a cone type or one intended for use with a barrel bushing, you may have to get a longer barrel and have it fitted to the gun as well.

If you just want a comp for the "cool factor" appearance, I would still recommend a threaded on comp, professionally fit.

JW
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Are you going to use it in competition? Then consider a good one.
Are you installing for looks? Don't waste your money.

Are you installing for the BADAZZ aura. Mall ninja.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Most forums I am on ask me questions when they are not sure if my questions. Instead of making assumptions. I under stand I assumed that I was not clear enough but I figured I was talk to gun enthusiast would understand my questions

Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Most forums I am on ask me questions when they are not sure if my questions. Instead of making assumptions. I under stand I assumed that I was not clear enough but I figured I was talk to gun enthusiast would understand my questions
So how about telling us what you want the comp to do instead of acting like a pouty kid because we could not read your mind..

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
well your questions were pretty vague. an nor did any of us make any assumptions, we merely stated our opinions on what we think about compensators. those are not assumptions, just opinions and thought we have. like i said, would you like to guess how many times we have seen that question asked here on the forum?

many of us have BTDT with fireams and have learned about being practical. if it serves no purpose or doesn't have a clear advantage to it's intended use,then why put it on a pistol?
People Like This