Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Compensators? Mags?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sickcobra08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Compensators? Mags?

I recently bought a desert eagle 1911c I was wanting to buy a good compensator and mags at a decent price. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

__________________
sickcobra08 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas by God, Texas!
Posts: 24,610
Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44231

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcobra08 View Post
I recently bought a desert eagle 1911c I was wanting to buy a good compensator and mags at a decent price. Does anyone know where I can buy one?
mags, plenty of good ones available. i personally like the Wilson Combat and the Chip McCormack mags. Canebrake our resident 1911 guru swears by and recommends the Tripp Research mags and many who use them say they are one of the best there is.

the compensator. why do you feel the need for a compensator on a 1911? many of us feel they are useless acessory for most purposes on a 1911.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 9,740
Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Default

I hate to give "It Depends" answers.

Axxe is correct about comps on some 1911's. The .45 ACP does not generate enough to make a comp effective. The .38 Super, the 9mm, the 10mm and .40S&W calibers may.

I shoot the .38 Super and the 10mm (without comp) and have no problems with the recoil and getting back on target. The .45ACPs I've shot with comps still had a comparable recoil to the uncomp-ed.

In a defensive mode, the comp shoots flames up into the sight radius more than uncomp-ed.

Finding good carry holster for a comp-ed full size 1911 is not one of those WallyWorld, stroll down the aisle things. Most holsters for a comp-ed 1911 are designed for competition and are not practical in the everyday carry.

This is my opinion, and I do have a few years in the competition circles.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

danf_fl is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,906
Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mags, plenty of good ones available. i personally like the Wilson Combat and the Chip McCormack mags. Canebrake our resident 1911 guru swears by and recommends the Tripp Research mags and many who use them say they are one of the best there is.

the compensator. why do you feel the need for a compensator on a 1911? many of us feel they are useless acessory for most purposes on a 1911.
Once again I agree with my friend
I tryed one because i simply wanted to see if it held any benifits at all- USELESS
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 451
Liked 58 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Once again I agree with my friend
I tryed one because i simply wanted to see if it held any benifits at all- USELESS
Wow...
Nice looking piece Hoss!!!!!
I also had one in the early days of owning my Springer. I did nothing as far as I could tell. Eventually gave it away.
__________________
bartwatkins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,906
Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
Wow...
Nice looking piece Hoss!!!!!
I also had one in the early days of owning my Springer. I did nothing as far as I could tell. Eventually gave it away.
Thanks-
It looked kinda cool but just added weight & length
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 53
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The various advice on mags given by other posters is good stuff, in my experience. The advice and experiences on comps, not quite so much.

Comps can be quite effective, even on the low pressure .45 ACP. However, a well designed comp is required. This means, forget about the bushing comps. They are indeed useless, regardless of caliber. All they do is put a bit more weight out front.

In contrast, a well designed thread on compensator works quite well. This is because of the difference in mechanical design. The very nature of a bushing comp is what kills the effectiveness of it. Because the barrel must be able to pass through the bushing comp, there is no effective baffling to strip away and redirect the gasses created by the powder charge. There is simply too much clearance between the bullet and the baffles.

Compare this to a thread on comp and you will see that the hole through the baffles is only slightly larger than bullet diameter. This is a big factor in making a comp work. Baffle and exhaust port design make all the difference. Another factor that can make the comp work better is the load that you shoot through it. Light weight bullets and high pressures (within safe margins) work best. In a .45, run a 185 grain bullet and drive it hard with the slowest burning powders suitable, and you will see a very noticeable difference.

Also keep in mind that a comp doesn't reduce actual recoil. It simply redirects it and changes how it is felt. Comps reduce "muzzle flip" more than anything. They cause the gun to recoil more in a straight back motion, rather than a rising arc. Load tuning can adjust the "feel" of the recoil further. As with many other things in life, you get what you pay for. Cheap bushing comps are not near as effective as a well made thread on. Another option is porting such as "Magna-port", or ported barrels such as the Shcuemann Hybrid barrels.

JW

__________________
CubDriver451 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,906
Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451 View Post
The various advice on mags given by other posters is good stuff, in my experience. The advice and experiences on comps, not quite so much.

Comps can be quite effective, even on the low pressure .45 ACP. However, a well designed comp is required. This means, forget about the bushing comps. They are indeed useless, regardless of caliber. All they do is put a bit more weight out front.

In contrast, a well designed thread on compensator works quite well. This is because of the difference in mechanical design. The very nature of a bushing comp is what kills the effectiveness of it. Because the barrel must be able to pass through the bushing comp, there is no effective baffling to strip away and redirect the gasses created by the powder charge. There is simply too much clearance between the bullet and the baffles.

Compare this to a thread on comp and you will see that the hole through the baffles is only slightly larger than bullet diameter. This is a big factor in making a comp work. Baffle and exhaust port design make all the difference. Another factor that can make the comp work better is the load that you shoot through it. Light weight bullets and high pressures (within safe margins) work best. In a .45, run a 185 grain bullet and drive it hard with the slowest burning powders suitable, and you will see a very noticeable difference.

Also keep in mind that a comp doesn't reduce actual recoil. It simply redirects it and changes how it is felt. Comps reduce "muzzle flip" more than anything. They cause the gun to recoil more in a straight back motion, rather than a rising arc. Load tuning can adjust the "feel" of the recoil further. As with many other things in life, you get what you pay for. Cheap bushing comps are not near as effective as a well made thread on. Another option is porting such as "Magna-port", or ported barrels such as the Shcuemann Hybrid barrels.

JW
You're speaking of a "real" expansion chamber compensator -
Doubt the OP was but ----------------
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 53
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

That was the distinction I was trying to make. Unfortunately, too many shooters do not understand this distinction. They look in the latest Brownell's catelog, see the bushing comps, and don't know any better than to try one. This is a subject that is not well understood by people until they have experienced it, or gotten good advice from a gunsmith with a background in this type of equipment.

JW

__________________
CubDriver451 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,906
Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451 View Post
That was the distinction I was trying to make. Unfortunately, too many shooters do not understand this distinction. They look in the latest Brownell's catelog, see the bushing comps, and don't know any better than to try one. This is a subject that is not well understood by people until they have experienced it, or gotten good advice from a gunsmith with a background in this type of equipment.

JW
That we can agree on
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
10-Pk Thermold 30-rd. AR-15 Mags $69 shipped, 3-Pk Tapco AK-47 mags - $25 shipped Slickguns Sponsor Display 1 12-20-2012 10:29 PM
Yugo M 70 AK mags.. Any issues with surplus mags? louieboots AK & SKS Discussion 4 11-12-2012 12:59 AM
mags jake1 XD Forum 2 10-19-2012 10:21 PM
Compensators e43jimmy409 Illinois Gun Forum 1 07-02-2012 01:50 AM
Compensators attached w/set screws rangeshooter General Rifle Discussion 1 01-26-2010 11:11 PM