Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Compensator for my 1911.... Any suggestions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/compensator-my-1911-any-suggestions-55768/)

Jkl-28 01-18-2012 08:45 PM

Compensator for my 1911.... Any suggestions?
 
So I'm thinking about putting a compensator on my Kimber custome II
And I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations or suggestions
I'm looking for something that looks good but something that works also.

GunRunner 01-18-2012 09:16 PM

Well its not am answer but more of a question, how is this accomplished? I thought basically the barrel was longer and the extra lenght is threaded for the compensator to be screwed on right? Now where do you get a threaded Kimber barrel? Do they make a 6 inch barrel to thread for a 5 inch Kimber?

I have an ultra covert II that I was thinking about putting a 4 inch barrel on to do the same thing or am I barking up the wrong Tree?

trip286 01-18-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunRunner
Well its not am answer but more of a question, how is this accomplished? I thought basically the barrel was longer and the extra lenght is threaded for the compensator to be screwed on right? Now where do you get a threaded Kimber barrel? Do they make a 6 inch barrel to thread for a 5 inch Kimber?

I have an ultra covert II that I was thinking about putting a 4 inch barrel on to do the same thing or am I barking up the wrong Tree?

There are comps that are attached to aftermarket barrels permanently where you replace the entire barrel, and comps that replace the barrel bushing for 1911's. Basically, getting a longer barrel, threading it, and screwing on a comp is doing it the hard way.

I understand hossfly has some recent experience with this.

bartwatkins 01-18-2012 09:49 PM

Wilson Combat sells a drop-in (bushing replacement) compensator. It's called the Wilson Multi-Comp.
I think you also have to purchase a Wilson full-length guide rod & shortened guide rod plug for it to fit.

GunRunner 01-19-2012 01:21 AM

Well see, my Kimber has a bushingless barrel so I'm a little lost on if I could even do it with my model.

trip286 01-19-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunRunner
Well see, my Kimber has a bushingless barrel so I'm a little lost on if I could even do it with my model.

You probably will have to either get a comped barrel, or do it the hard way with getting a longer barrel and threading it.

Olympus 01-19-2012 02:10 AM

Most reviews of comps on 1911s have found that there is a very marginal difference in the effect of recoil or muzzle rise. Now this is using .45 calibers, keep that in mind. Comps that attach like a barrel bushing are very easily to install and relatively in expensive. Keep that in mind when you're looking through hundreds of pages of 1911 photo threads on various forums. Then note how many guns actually have them. They are inexpensive and easy to install, so rational thinking leads me to conclude that if they had THAT much of an effect on the gun, you'd see a LOT more of them on 1911s. That being said, they definitely look cool!

1stMarine 01-19-2012 02:27 AM

You could get a gunsmith to attempt to do a comp job like on the glock 18 how it has the slide cutout on top and then holes milled in the barrel. That'd be pretty unique if they could pull it off.

Never Forget.

Ruzai 01-19-2012 04:00 AM

Several of our guys in the 1911 Gunsmithing Class I'm taking had the same question as you did about comps. I did a long time ago too. I've attempted the "drop-in" approach and I can tell you from experience that a marginal improvement is about the best you'll get out of a drop-in.

The problem with the bushing replacement comps is that you are essientially switching a bushing that isnt fitted to your particular barrel, this will degrade accuracy due to poor lock-up. The second negative about it is that the clearance on the muzzle of the compensator is usually fairly wide and in order for the muzzle brake to work the difference between the bore's diameter and the muzzle brake's bore diameter needs to be fairly close to work effectively.

A bull barrel isnt necessarily 'hard' to compensate, but its not often done since the bull barrel setup is made for very tight lock-up in the 1911 and the extra weight of the barrel does a lot of the compensating for recoil.
For the 1911s that have the traditional bushing system on them, they are typically easier to fit with a compensator than the bull barrel set up.

Looking at the Nighthawk cutsom T3 shows that the compensator does work on a 1911, its just a bit of an expensive endeavor depending which way you go and how tight you want things to fit together.

If you really want a compensator that WORKS and looks good, plan on buying a new barrel that can be threaded or is already pre-threaded, then have the barrel fitted with the compensator of your choice.
If I'm going to pick a compensator I like one that looks like an extention of the entire slide, not just the barrel, but that's just me.

bartwatkins 01-19-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 681393)
Most reviews of comps on 1911s have found that there is a very marginal difference in the effect of recoil or muzzle rise. Now this is using .45 calibers, keep that in mind. Comps that attach like a barrel bushing are very easily to install and relatively in expensive. Keep that in mind when you're looking through hundreds of pages of 1911 photo threads on various forums. Then note how many guns actually have them. They are inexpensive and easy to install, so rational thinking leads me to conclude that if they had THAT much of an effect on the gun, you'd see a LOT more of them on 1911s. That being said, they definitely look cool!

From my experience with one - you are exactly right Adam....
I purchased the Wilson Multi-Comp that I mentioned above for my SA Loaded .45 due to my two boys (aged 11 & 14) wanting to shoot. The thinking was that the reduced recoil/muzzle rise would be easier on them. I noticed pretty much no difference & now have removed the comp and both boys shoot it w/o. It did look pretty cool though.
Here is a pic with it installed on mine:
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...jewelry088.jpg

Since then I have measured the OD of my barrell & the ID of my slide and had EGW machine a precision bushing. This has worked out great from an improved accuracy standpoint:
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...l/527936ba.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.