Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Commander size carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Prefer 4" over 3", but that's just me. I currently carry a 5" 1911 and don't mind the weight. I find the key is a good gun belt.

I find that I shoot the 4" about as well as the 5.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

You buy a lightweight gun for carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.
I dont mean it's too heavy. I am cc'ing on campus and I don't want to alert anyone so concealment is a must. It seems most shorter barreled 1911's are alloys or aluminum framed anyway. but I would prefer a steel frame if at all possible.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #23

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewna01 View Post
I dont mean it's too heavy. I am cc'ing on campus and I don't want to alert anyone so concealment is a must. It seems most shorter barreled 1911's are alloys or aluminum framed anyway. but I would prefer a steel frame if at all possible.
You missed my point.

If you have a gun that you intend to run a high round count, it most certainly should be all steel.

In a high use gun weight is your friend for recoil management and receiver longevity.

Carry guns, if heavy, won't be carried for long. And if the alloy receiver is subject to high round counts, WILL wear, even fail. This happens far earlier than a similar gun in steel.

If you want an all steel carry gun the Colt Combat Commander is your best bet. (Do not confuse this with the Colt Commander Lightweight Model.)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

You missed my point.

If you have a gun that you intend to run a high round count, it most certainly should be all steel.

In a high use gun weight is your friend for recoil management and receiver longevity.

Carry guns, if heavy, won't be carried for long. And if the alloy receiver is subject to high round counts, WILL wear, even fail. This happens far earlier than a similar gun in steel.

If you want an all steel carry gun the Colt Combat Commander is your best bet. (Do not confuse this with the Colt Commander Lightweight Model.)
How far out are new ones from the factory? Most I've seen have been 6 mos or more...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #25

I carry my colt CC in stainless steel. 4.25 inch barrel. Outside the waistband holster. With a button down shirt.

Happy shooting :) !

Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #26

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry a SIG RCS or a Wilson Supergrade - both work fine. The SIG was a real surprise. It's worked 100% through nearly 1.5K rounds including mixed loads and Winchester PDX1 (carry ammunition).

Paid $850 for the SIG, and can't say anything bad about it functionally. Aesthetically, it's not bad as it's been through the SIG custom shop so it's dehorned, fitted, and the trigger was right at 4.5lbs. When you take it apart and compare it to a high end gun, you can see the inside of the frame and slide are not as nicely finished - but it runs, and that's all it has to do.

The SIG fits in the same holsters as the Supergrade with no problems - so you really don't need a SIG contour holster.