Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Commander size carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5321 Times on 2777 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Colt new agent ive got one and its a great iwb carry gun when concealment is a real must. My only knock is colt chose a blued finish for a gun that is going to get sweated on

At some point im going to have mine redone in a much more salt resistant finish.

Mine is accurate, fast, reliable with everything stuffed in it. Ive mainly got fmj down the barrel with some hollowpoints of various types no ftf or fte issues. I mix in empty cases with live and use full wadcutters at times. It feeds everything. My new production series 70 eats empties also. None of my other 1911s or 45s will feed an empty case from the magazine.

Colt is the only 1911 i will ccw

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20015 Times on 11379 Posts
Likes Given: 50499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Colt new agent ive got one and its a great iwb carry gun when concealment is a real must. My only knock is colt chose a blued finish for a gun that is going to get sweated on

At some point im going to have mine redone in a much more salt resistant finish.

Mine is accurate, fast, reliable with everything stuffed in it. Ive mainly got fmj down the barrel with some hollowpoints of various types no ftf or fte issues. I mix in empty cases with live and use full wadcutters at times. It feeds everything. My new production series 70 eats empties also. None of my other 1911s or 45s will feed an empty case from the magazine.

JonM, that's one of the reasons i suggested the Defender, as it's offered in stainless steel. very nice pistol.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #13

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Jon, what about those gutter sights. That's the only thing I dislike about that gun. Obviously you like it if you carry it.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I daily carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster. The pistol had some problems early on, but a Gunsmith buddy did a reliability tune on it and now it feeds, ejects and eats anything. I dislike the two stage spring guide rod setup, but it's really not a big deal after I stripped and cleaned it a few times. The finish is getting holster worn and I actually really like it's worn appearance.

Once upon a time I had a Dan Wesson CBOB and if I could ever afford one again, I would own and carry one in a heartbeat.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #15

Liked 4566 Times on 2209 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

1911's of any size are great defensive pistols. I carried a full size colt for 6 years and a 4" Kimber for 7 years.

I now carry a Kahr PM 9 daily but only because my office attire makes it very difficult to effectively conceal anything larger.

The 1 concern with compact 1911's is recoil spring maintenance. There lighter and smaller slides provide less weight and inertia for cycling which must be compensated for with heavier springs. This is true of any compact pistol and must be watched. Order a dozen or so replacement recoil springs, keep a round count, and change springs per manufacturer recommendations and all should be fine.

Good luck

Tack

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #16

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The compact size I had would not feed JHP ammo so I sold it. I carry a 4.25" in the winter.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #17

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have carried a Defender for years but recently switched to the Commander Lightweight Model. My 4.25" Commander is a far more accurate gun.

Just like Jon said, Colt is all I will carry. Spend the up-charge and never look back.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My LGS has a lightweight commander in stock right now for $1100 I believe and a defender for $950. Took every ounce of will power I had to walk away (wife...) and not put any money down. But I have a fs GI model and it's a little large for CC for me. It's between the Colts, Springfield champion, or Sigs 4.25" 1911. Since it is a smaller gun, will the frame not being steel have any effect on quality over the years?

Last edited by brewna01; 07-31-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5321 Times on 2777 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Jon, what about those gutter sights. That's the only thing I dislike about that gun. Obviously you like it if you carry it.
if you look at the back of a 1911 and square it up it is surprisingly reminiscent of a tombstone... put that center of mass and pull the trigger tilll the goblin stops. the lack of a traditional sight doesnt really hurt accuracy up to 15 yards. i find it way faster than using a traditional sight. dont have to worry about em being knocked loose or hanging up on drawing it.

i find the gutter sight to be a good thing. if you have a chance to rent one do it i think you will be impressed. if you cant get past the sighting system the colt defender is the same gun but with a traditional 3 dot.

the trench itself isnt really new its been around several hundred years

my main carry is a xdm compact in 45acp. i carry the new agent when i need to go to places where it would really upset the sheeple or printing is an issue. we have open carry here in wisconsin but i prefer to keep my firearm hidden. no need to draw attention to myself.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-31-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #20

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewna01 View Post
My LGS has a lightweight commander in stock right now for $1100 I believe and a defender for $950. Took every ounce of will power I had to walk away (wife...) and not put any money down. But I have a fs GI model and it's a little large for CC for me. It's between the Colts, Springfield champion, or Sigs 4.25" 1911. Since it is a smaller gun, will the frame not being steel have any effect on quality over the years?
You buy a lightweight gun for carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello