Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colts: Defender vs New Agent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colts: Defender vs New Agent

It seems other than finish these are the same piece? I am in the market for a smaller 1911 and I can not figure out what I am missing in comparison of these two weapons.

Before it starts, the small Kimbers are on the list too, just researching the best way to spend my dollars. Charles Daly makes a small .45 ACP unit, but data on their quality seems inconsistent. The mind is open to suggestions, as long as they are 1911s.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

These are very close, however the Agent does Not have sights on it, I suppose to better facilitate the "quick draw" I remember seeing a Detonics model made in a similar fashion, not a big seller either. I do like the Defender, unless you're a crack shot, you are going to want to have sights on your gun!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
It seems other than finish these are the same piece? I am in the market for a smaller 1911 and I can not figure out what I am missing in comparison of these two weapons.

Before it starts, the small Kimbers are on the list too, just researching the best way to spend my dollars. Charles Daly makes a small .45 ACP unit, but data on their quality seems inconsistent. The mind is open to suggestions, as long as they are 1911s.
I have the Defender and love it.

You won't go wrong!

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

Call Colt for all info. on specs---1-800-962-2658 (customer service)
Kimber web site is really descriptive as to specs--WWW.kimberamerica.com

Personal recommendation--Look very serious at Kimber ! May be a buck or two more but is truly "Quality"-- You won't miss that buck or two next year but if you purchase poor quality,it will haunt you !

The best deciding factor after you have ALL the facts is....which one do YOU like ?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The lack of sights is the main difference from what I can tell. The gun uses a "sight-channel" concept instead of raised sights. The idea is that it is easier to conceal. They are betting that the gun will be used for close-quarters, point-shooting type scenarios. My choice would be the Defender, or a compact Kimber with sights.

Colt New Agent

The sight channel idea was also used in the Kimber Ultra RCP a couple of years ago. I think it is kind of gimmicky, but can see how it might make it slightly easier to carry (maybe), and the channel would be better than no sights for close-quarters since you could use it as an index while looking over the top of the gun. I personally would rather have a good set of lo-mounts.

The Kimber Ultra RCP

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill