Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt/Walther 1911 in .22 verus Chiappa 1911-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Colt/Walther 1911 in .22 verus Chiappa 1911-22

I want to get a 1911 in 22 cal and I have had the Chiappa 1911-22 in my hand, feels real good - - - Dealer said it is made by Hi Point in Dayton Ohio and it is $100.00 cheaper than the Colt/Walther 1911 in .22

Another good point is it is made in the USA instead of Germany for the Colt/Walther 1911

Drawback is there is no Grip Safety on the Chiappa - - - I guess I can live with that. I'm not sure how I feel about the magazine being made of plastic but the dealer assures me he has not had any problems with them and I guess they won't rust!

Dealer will have both in stock next Friday. In the mean time do any of you have experience with both and if so does either stand out above the other?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chiappa? Hi Point? Dayton?

Nope, Italy. MKS (Chiappa by MKS) is the importer. MKS is in Dayton, but a glance at the web site reveals:

MKS Supply Expands Offering of Italian-made Chiappa Firearms

Charles Brown, President of MKS said, “We’re very excited about expanding our Chiappa line—the company builds exceptionally high-quality guns at very attractive prices. Chiappa has been manufacturing firearms for over 50 years and their focus is on authentic reproductions of classic historic and modern firearms. MKS Supply will be carrying a range of Chiappa’s modern firearm reproductions including the venerable model 1911 and the M4-22 Carbine semiautomatic rifle—both chambered in .22 LR. It’s the best of both worlds, you can own a classic design and enjoy hours of recreational shooting using inexpensive .22 caliber ammo.”

MKS is also the marketer for the Chiappa Rhino, one of the most innovative new revolvers on the market today. The Rhino is available in a 2” barrel model and will soon be available in 4”, 5” and 6” models, all chambered in .357 magnum caliber.

The Rhino’s revolutionary design truly redefines the revolver—so much so that it is featured on the cover of this December’s Guns & Ammo magazine.

All Chiappa products are warranted and serviced in the USA at Chiappa’s service center in Dayton Ohio

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've got the Colt with about 1000 rounds through it in the past month or so. Not even a hiccup yet. Sweet shooting gun and from what I can tell, really well made.

Can't get the Chiappa in Illinois because it is made of some pot metal that has a melt point below 800F. That's what I was told at the gun shop when I inquired about it because it was on sale in a MC Sports circular for $239.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a Chiappa 1911-22. It's fun. Love shooting it. Just remember, it only resembles a 1911. What I mean is that the barrel is fixed to the frame. This can be a blessing or curse. I have been using it for practice, and shooting my big one in club contests. The groups on the 45 got smaller, but the 22 groups stayed the same. I tried several things, but the 22 groups were still random. Sight-Mark bore-sighter was way off for the iron sights. Seemed that what ever adjustments I made, they were still off. As a last resort I tried an optics mount(AimTech) that mounted to the right-side in-leu-of the pistol grip, and one of my left over red-dot sights. Lucked out again! Any range was right on.
What I can see is that in order for the slide to function, there is a little more freedom between it and the rails. The iron sights are fixed to the slide, and with a little wear, they can point anywhere. My aim could be true, but the barrel, being unrelated to the slide, can have shots going somewhere else(within reason).
Just fix the sighting system to the frame, then the sights and the barrel will be related(pointing in the same direction).

What does this have to do with a 1911? Simple. When the locking lugs on the barrel, and on the slide, are engaged, they develop a relationship that (hopefully) will be repeated over and over. SO, the sights are on the slide, the barrel is locked into the slide, and should point in the same direction. This is just one way that the Chiappa's aren't really 1911's.
I'm not saying that they are bad guns, just remember what you have, don't have, and why. I've been shooting with the 22 set-up this way for about a month now, and really feel that it is ready for Bull's-eye this month. Hope I am.....
Chiappa's are nice, inexpensive, and under the right conditions pretty accurate.

Last edited by rab; 12-29-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Forgot Something

Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

A good alternative to the Chiappa is a GSG1911-22, imported by ATI, made in Germany. I've had no issues with mine, but don't have the Chiappa so no personal comparison. When researching them, consensus was that the GSG was a little better quality. Of course, around here, a slightly higher price also.

One thing everyone seemed to agree on was the Chiappa needed hi-velocity ammo to cycle properly & the GSG would handle the cheap bulk ammo. Out of a 550 round box of Federal, mine had about 1/2 dz. stove pipes & a dozen or so needed a double strike, but had no feed issues at all.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
A good alternative to the Chiappa is a GSG1911-22, imported by ATI, made in Germany. I've had no issues with mine, but don't have the Chiappa so no personal comparison. When researching them, consensus was that the GSG was a little better quality. Of course, around here, a slightly higher price also.

One thing everyone seemed to agree on was the Chiappa needed hi-velocity ammo to cycle properly & the GSG would handle the cheap bulk ammo. Out of a 550 round box of Federal, mine had about 1/2 dz. stove pipes & a dozen or so needed a double strike, but had no feed issues at all.
Can't speak for any other than the Chiappa...sweet little shooter, have been force feeding mine a steady diet of Federal and not a hiccup yet. $200 from Bud's, how can you go wrong? When you get to this price range, you're always going to find some people that have had problems with them, heard equally good and bad things about the GSG's and the Chiappa, I landed on the Chiappa and have been pleased so far...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I looked again and my Chiappa 1911-22 states "Made in Dayton Ohio" on the side.

I went to the company website and they state the Dayton facility manufactures and services firearms for the United States market. Much like Honda manufactures cars in the US for this market. Yes it is an Itialian owned company and I'm sure much of the profits go back to Italy but at least we have some americans earning a wage here!

Is it the best 1911 in 22 cal out there? No but it is reasonable in cost and for a training weapon it does fine! The Made in USA just tips the scale slightly for me.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

UMAREX was Rohm (RG) before 2010.

UMAREX is making some of the Colt .22

Röhm (RG) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 104

i just today bought a 1911-22 Chiappa w/suppessor which I thot was real ---on the Chiappa site it says it is a fake suppessor --when I got it home and fired it WOw it was loud ---I thot I would be able to use it to discourage dogs because of the suppessor -that is not going to happen---shoots good with ammo I got here at home but I think I will take it back because I wanted something a little quieter--I have some Browning target pistols that will accompllish what I want but they will be louder

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitho View Post
i just today bought a 1911-22 Chiappa w/suppessor which I thot was real ---on the Chiappa site it says it is a fake suppessor --when I got it home and fired it WOw it was loud ---I thot I would be able to use it to discourage dogs because of the suppessor -that is not going to happen---shoots good with ammo I got here at home but I think I will take it back because I wanted something a little quieter--I have some Browning target pistols that will accompllish what I want but they will be louder
There is a reason that the supressor is fake. Too much paperwork with the BATF for a real one to be sold over the counter.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT