Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > colt vs. kimber vs. sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Better quit while you're sorta ahead Buckhorn. Just some free advice.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #82
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20037 Times on 11395 Posts
Likes Given: 50556

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
And I find it arrogant when someone comes onto a website and claims a SIG is every bit the equal of semi-custom and custom pistols when it's not. I own expensive pistols and I make no apologies for that. I don't smoke, I don't drink, rarely go out to a restaurant, and I drive a 12 year old automobile - I spend my money on guns. I've have worked at a job every day since I was 14 years old and have earned everything I have. If you find me and my allocation of resources arrogant - can't help you.

My point - which you have missed and/or distorted for your own purposes - is that the SIG is a good pistol, but not equal to a Nighthawk at 1/3 the price. The fact YOU can't order another pistol with a phone call doesn't make me arrogant - it's how I view the use of the of my money and my pistols. I would certainly have to make choices as to what else I could buy for the next two months - but, it's only a question of resource allocation at that point.

You and your resources have nothing to do with what I can or can't do with my life or what I can or can't write on a gun forum. I would suggest you might to evaluate your arrogance in labeling someone else from simply reading posts on an Internet forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I have my choice of seven other 1911's. I would carry, and trust, any on them to protect my life - the SIG is not special in that facet of use. However, I can make a single phone call and replace the SIG in about one week - I can't do that with the other pistols. The SIG has proven to be reliable, so I choose to carry that pistol because it's easily replaceable.
whatever dude. maybe had you explained yourself a little more carefully, myself and others wouldn't be of the opinion that you are boastful and arrogant. and it's not so much what you write but how it's presented to others as to what they interpret from your written words. and by my own arrogance, i just call things the way i see them, and apparently i am not quite alone in my views. your original statement on this came off as very boastful and arrogant, as that there are those here, that a nice top of the line Sig 1911 is a highend pistol and they had to work hard to just afford it. careful wording and a little humility goes a long ways when dealing with people on a forum. just sayin'
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #83
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

whatever dude. maybe had you explained yourself a little more carefully, myself and others wouldn't be of the opinion that you are boastful and arrogant. and it's not so much what you write but how it's presented to others as to what they interpret from your written words. and by my own arrogance, i just call things the way i see them, and apparently i am not quite alone in my views. your original statement on this came off as very boastful and arrogant, as that there are those here, that a nice top of the line Sig 1911 is a highend pistol and they had to work hard to just afford it. careful wording and a little humility goes a long ways when dealing with people on a forum. just sayin'
Nice axxe, well said. And BTW, a nice top of the line SIG IS a high end pistol, it's just not a custom or semi-custom pistol. And I think that is what buckhorn was trying to say and now we all get it. How ppl come off over the Internet is very subjective.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #84

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez

And I find it arrogant when someone comes onto a website and claims a SIG is every bit the equal of semi-custom and custom pistols when it's not. I own expensive pistols and I make no apologies for that. I don't smoke, I don't drink, rarely go out to a restaurant, and I drive a 12 year old automobile - I spend my money on guns. I've have worked at a job every day since I was 14 years old and have earned everything I have. If you find me and my allocation of resources arrogant - can't help you.

My point - which you have missed and/or distorted for your own purposes - is that the SIG is a good pistol, but not equal to a Nighthawk at 1/3 the price. The fact YOU can't order another pistol with a phone call doesn't make me arrogant - it's how I view the use of the of my money and my pistols. I would certainly have to make choices as to what else I could buy for the next two months - but, it's only a question of resource allocation at that point.

You and your resources have nothing to do with what I can or can't do with my life or what I can or can't write on a gun forum. I would suggest you might to evaluate your arrogance in labeling someone else from simply reading posts on an Internet forum.
Yes i said that and heres;

Those high end pistols are hand fitted to be very tight meaning-you get dirt in there, your screwed.
Drop it and mud gets on it agian your screwed.
Get water in it,(let's say its raining), your up **** creek without a paddle and all your holding is an expensive throwing stone.
Those pistol are ment to be admired.

However a sig-
Has a medium fit which means if that thing is covered in mud and will shoot till its little sear is worn. It was built for combat with match grade parts without the glitter and flare....i mean you said it yourself best when you said"i can throw it on the ground and not care". Now that you mention it i guess i can too.

Last edited by Ultimate_sig; 12-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.
B5Dan Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #85
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20037 Times on 11395 Posts
Likes Given: 50556

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Nice axxe, well said. And BTW, a nice top of the line SIG IS a high end pistol, it's just not a custom or semi-custom pistol. And I think that is what buckhorn was trying to say and now we all get it. How ppl come off over the Internet is very subjective.
i don't consider paying $1000 plus on a pistol being cheap by any means. for some that's a substantial sum of money and lot's of overtime to be able to afford that much for a pistol.

yes, how something is written is sometimes how it's perceived on the internet. i for one, try to be very careful in how i word something to try and get across my statements and opinions. we don't have the luxury of tone and body expressions to sometimes discern between humor or arrogance.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I own a STI and a Sig 1911. Love them both but both are slightly different. the STI has the best trigger out of the box and after a bit of polishing (yeah, but I waited about 700 rounds to tinker) it is incredible.

The Sig is a Stainless Steel Carry (commander size). I believe its MSRP is $1142. Not inexpensive but not ridiculous for a quality pistol. I have had it for a little over 3 months and have 1000-1500 rounds through it. I don't claim to be an expert but at 7 yards an eight round mag is all in the X ring. Not bad for a "mass produced" pistol.

My buddy has both a 5" Scorpion and the C3, both great shooters. This same guy also owns a Kimber Custom, a Colt Series 80 plus about 9 others (has the money and loves 1911's). He carries the C3 and claims it to be the better shooter. I have shot them all and prefer the C3 of the 4 listed. Beyond that I wouldn't trade off my Stainless Carry.

You get to a certain point when dealing with quality pistols and you achieve the point of diminishing returns. You have to spend a bunch more to get any improvement and then it is frequently finish. A co-worker has a Dan Wesson Valor and was willing to sell it to me when I bought my Sig 1911. I work in a shooting range/LGS so I have shot both. I prefered my Sig but will readily admit that the DW was a great example of a high quality pistol, but not a better shooter.

As to the questions of why ride a Harley instead of a Jap. Well my Harley was built in the US (just like my Sig & my STI). And I like the ride and handling of my Electroglide. I have been riding all of my legal life (riding motorcycles for 43 years, 9 motorcycles) and owned Brits, Japs and now Harleys. If it fits rights, feels right and makes you smile, it is the right bike. As to reliablity, had Harleys now for 10 years with no breakdowns, just routine service. Most large bikes at this point are fuel injected and solid state electrics and reliable.

Same goes for a quality pistol, if it fits right, feels good, you shoot good with it and it makes you smile, it is the right choice. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #87
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker
I own a STI and a Sig 1911. Love them both but both are slightly different. the STI has the best trigger out of the box and after a bit of polishing (yeah, but I waited about 700 rounds to tinker) it is incredible.

The Sig is a Stainless Steel Carry (commander size). I believe its MSRP is $1142. Not inexpensive but not ridiculous for a quality pistol. I have had it for a little over 3 months and have 1000-1500 rounds through it. I don't claim to be an expert but at 7 yards an eight round mag is all in the X ring. Not bad for a "mass produced" pistol.

My buddy has both a 5" Scorpion and the C3, both great shooters. This same guy also owns a Kimber Custom, a Colt Series 80 plus about 9 others (has the money and loves 1911's). He carries the C3 and claims it to be the better shooter. I have shot them all and prefer the C3 of the 4 listed. Beyond that I wouldn't trade off my Stainless Carry.

You get to a certain point when dealing with quality pistols and you achieve the point of diminishing returns. You have to spend a bunch more to get any improvement and then it is frequently finish. A co-worker has a Dan Wesson Valor and was willing to sell it to me when I bought my Sig 1911. I work in a shooting range/LGS so I have shot both. I prefered my Sig but will readily admit that the DW was a great example of a high quality pistol, but not a better shooter.

As to the questions of why ride a Harley instead of a Jap. Well my Harley was built in the US (just like my Sig & my STI). And I like the ride and handling of my Electroglide. I have been riding all of my legal life (riding motorcycles for 43 years, 9 motorcycles) and owned Brits, Japs and now Harleys. If it fits rights, feels right and makes you smile, it is the right bike. As to reliablity, had Harleys now for 10 years with no breakdowns, just routine service. Most large bikes at this point are fuel injected and solid state electrics and reliable.

Same goes for a quality pistol, if it fits right, feels good, you shoot good with it and it makes you smile, it is the right choice. JMHO
Well put biker.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #88
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I have a couple of "high end" handguns, but I also have inexpensive.

Whichever the OP goes with, any of the three brands asked about should serve the purpose.

I have a stigma against Kimber for my personal use.
I do not have any experience with Sig.
I am nostalgic to the point that I recommend Colt.

As far as the Jap vs HD comment. Each motorcycle has its merits and demerits. I am not suggesting that everyone purchase a Japanese over the HD. What one purchases is ones own decision. I just prefer the older established firms.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #89

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Sometimes I just think " I wish axxe was here to type out something for me" & sometimes ---HE DOES

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #90

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Most all the 1911's mentioned here will serve the purpose. I have not 1 thing against any of them. I could buy pretty much any of them dollar wise. But I prefer to spend my dollars wisely. I would like to challenge you to buy whatever high dollar 1911 you want. Then come with me to the range shoot yours, then let me hand you my Rock Island 1911 tactical. The challenge is for you to shoot better and have better reliability with your than you do mine. And I didn't have to run a thousand rounds to it to make it reliable, it came that way out of the box as soon as I cleaned all the cosmoline off it.