Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a SIG and have owned two Colts, which I sold because they were 1980's vintage and awful guns. Have never owned a Kimber, have looked at them, but they just don't seem, currently, to be put together all that well. Of the three manufacturers listed, although I don't "get" the "Colt - the original" mindset, I'd probably buy a Colt.

The SIG is a nice gun, and I have no problem with the external extractor, but when you look closely at it, there are some things that lack in execution. They are a great carry gun as I would have no problem throwing it on the ground, pavement, or having it stored in an evidence room for an extended length of time. To me, they're sort of the Glock of 1911's - wouldn't miss it if it was gone, as I could easily get another one.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
.....in today's business environment you don't stay in business building buggy whips.
Ahh ...yes...the hackneyed buggy whip canard. In fact, there are many buggy whip manufacturers today - people still use buggy whips. If you took the time to search before whipping out the beaten-to-death false metaphor - I think you'd find that buggy whips are new and improved, some made from fiberglass, and a number of collapsible models. Don't try and tell a harness racer that there aren't any buggy whips....
rjgnwdc Likes This 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I have a Kimber, shoots like a dream.
Out of the box you have installed bells and whistles.

Things to watch out for with a Kimber:
Paying too much.
The finish on it is weak, just by holding it some finish has been removed and bare metal exposed.
The front bushing is probably going to get worn out after thousands of rounds making the barrel loose (just a guess)
Few Failure to feeds during the break in period (500 rounds).
Dumb name and worse logo.

That being said, out of the x# of guns I own/have shot it is my favorite and the one I trust for HD and crazy accurate with all sorts of ammo.

If I could do it again, I would probably look at Colt for it is a Legend.

I love the classic look of black with Coco.
Bought the base model Custom II and added the grips for a classic look.

Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig? - 1911 Forum
(Taken just after first trip to the range, you can see the finish already rubbing off the back)

Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig? - 1911 Forum
Out of the three Kimbers I used to own the Kimber Custom TLE II .45 was the best of the three. It made a good trade in on one of my new Colts.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #24

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

For the money, your money if you have to work for it yourself, I say SIG. My Nitron Commander and my SIG Ultra 1911s 799.99 and 899.99 respectfully have been wonderfull! I owned a SIG Scorpion Carry but sold it since it was to heavy and large for EDC. That was 999.99.

The SIG slide cut I really like too. SIG uses aggressive checkering on their MSH and front of grip. That is where I see most grip comes from while other 1911 makers leave the front grip w/ no checkering. Little stuff like that.

Old people use real guitars, young people use guitar hero. Old people use Colts cause their grand pappy used a Colt fighting the Revolution, Red Coats, and what not. Today's younger people use SIG, Kimber, and others. Just the way it is.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #25

Well ended up getting a Christensen. I know whole different ball park than what we were talking about. I went into a store to help my friend get his first handgun and I was the one walking out with a new one instead. I couldn't pass it up when the owner gave it to me for cost! I haven't got a chance to try it out yet but hopefully tomorrow. And yes I'm still keeping my Colt and Sig. Thanks for all your input.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #26

I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II, I love it, shoots very clean. After 1200 rounds or so, never a jam, ftf or stovepipe. Its my daily carry gun and wouldn't wear it if I didn't trust it to save my life at the moment of truth.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #27

In terms of QC, fit and finish, Customer service, and overall value:
1. Colt
2. SIG
3. Ruger
4. S&W
5. Springfield
6. Kimber

WildihavenouseforkimberAlaska ™

Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykawika View Post
Well ended up getting a Christensen. I know whole different ball park than what we were talking about. I went into a store to help my friend get his first handgun and I was the one walking out with a new one instead. I couldn't pass it up when the owner gave it to me for cost! I haven't got a chance to try it out yet but hopefully tomorrow. And yes I'm still keeping my Colt and Sig. Thanks for all your input.
Of course you know we need pictures... especially of that fancy smancy Christensen

Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #29

Here is my new 1911, I have only put a hundred rounds through it so far so not broken in yet. I was very happy though with the accuracy so far and can't wait to see after it's broken in.
2012-05-27_12-27-23_749.jpg  

Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #30

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts

That is a sexy 1911