Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt .vs. Kimber .vs. Sig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tommy boy has to be one of the funniest movies ever

Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykawika View Post
So if we are basing this off "originality" then why wouldn't I just get a Browning seeing how he designed the original 1911 or go with the high power as it being his last? I know Colt's are good and every one likes them because they're an old company that has contributed more than their fare share to the fire arm community.....But, with modern technologies and advancements in fire arms I would like to go off more than the fact it was in two wars.
Not sure I follow the logic of you going with the Browning (sic) [Hi Power?] over the Colt 1911. Two completely different function/pattern pistols.

Understand that both pistols were a product of the brilliance and vision of John Moses Browning but the design of both were based on the requirements presented by government procurement, 1911 - US Army and the BHP - French military requirement.

I also do not understand your reference of going with the BHP because it was his last? Are you inferring that work product of an inventor improves with their aggregate? This may be true in spontaneous creation with the addition of experience but not axiomatically in the creation by specification.

Here's a quote Dillinger (a good friend and fellow JMB disciple) posted two years ago:
Okay, here are what we like to call "FACTS" about the Hi Power design and how it came to be.

Browning accepted a contract from the French government to produce a new pistol to their standards. Not the least of which had restrictions on caliber size and efficiency, range, capacity and overall size & weight of the weapon.

Browning produced two designs, both of which he submitted patents for in 1923.

Browning died with no pistol patents in place, or production models underway, on this pistol in 1926.

In 1927 patents were granted and FN gave the designs to a Belgian by the name of Dieudonné Saive.

Saive made modifications to the initial design, including a staggered box magazine and then waited for the Colt patents to expire in 1928, before finishing "his" version of the hi Power and submitting it for final testing.

Essentially, JMB did only the very base design on the Hi Power, and he did so with the restrictions of the Colt owned patents were in place.

The original design released in 1935, hence the P-35, drew heavily from the Colt's Model M1911. In November of 1926, JM Browning passed to final slide stop. In 1928 the Colt patents expired allowing Dieudonné Saive to integrate (copy) many of the Colt's previously patented features into the Grand Rendement design, the Saive-Browning Model of 1928.

By 1934, the Hi-Power design was complete and ready to be produced. It was first adopted by Belgium for military service in 1935 as the Browning P-35. (Yep, the French ordered it and didn't buy. Stunned? )

External Extractor Debate

The original design of the Browning Hi Power had a internal extractor. (Browning/Colt design) It wasn't until the early '60s that the external extractor was incorporated .

In 1962, the design was modified to replace the internal extractor with the external extractor.

And to the red highlighted section above;

Does Colt's age mean they are still stuck with early 20th century methods and materials? Colt is still alive and well, and in today's business environment you don't stay in business building buggy whips.

"But, with modern technologies and advancements in fire arms (sic)" Is this another inference that colt is not using the advancements in technologies available in production and materials? Have you looked at a "new" Colt SAA? That's a very old gun design produced to to today's highest standards.

I find your "old" reference getting old.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I learn alot from u cane and for that i say
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

10 or 20 years from now, the Colt will be worth at least twice the value of any of the others. They are good dependable firearms and the best collector firearm you can own. You can't go wrong with a REAL colt.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to compare colts to other 1911's, HK's to sigs, Glocks to Springfield XD's and so on. Dude at the quality you talking about its just personal preference.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im glad I found this cause I have been looking to get a 1911. I have looked at Remington 1911 and others that have copied them. All of my friends either have Colts or Kimbers and I love the way both shoot. I have not be able go shoot others to see how they are so all i have is opinions and with my buddies all they know are the 2 so pf coarse they're little biased. I wld like to have either my thing just like everything now a days is money.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #17

Liked 2376 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I get the hold the value thing too, I like kimbers buy I would lean to one with a good warranty. Hope you never need it, have it if you need it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #18

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

I say Colt. I've had my Series 70 since 1976 with very few malfunctions over the years. Sure a few things needed fixed but that's just normal maintenance over that much time. Anyway, I trust it to this day. I now carry a Glock 27 or 23 for the light weight, smaller size and extra capacity but I'd still feel comfortable taking the Colt. Over the years I've fired buddies' Kimbers and Sigs and have nothing bad to say other than I was real glad to get my Colt back!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
10 or 20 years from now, the Colt will be worth at least twice the value of any of the others. They are good dependable firearms and the best collector firearm you can own. You can't go wrong with a REAL colt.
Word. I've never understood why people just don't buy Colts when they're roughly the same price. I bought a Delta Gold Cup 15 years ago for 650.00 at a gun show. How'd that work out for me?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #20

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have a Kimber, shoots like a dream.
Out of the box you have installed bells and whistles.

Things to watch out for with a Kimber:
Paying too much.
The finish on it is weak, just by holding it some finish has been removed and bare metal exposed.
The front bushing is probably going to get worn out after thousands of rounds making the barrel loose (just a guess)
Few Failure to feeds during the break in period (500 rounds).
Dumb name and worse logo.

That being said, out of the x# of guns I own/have shot it is my favorite and the one I trust for HD and crazy accurate with all sorts of ammo.

If I could do it again, I would probably look at Colt for it is a Legend.

I love the classic look of black with Coco.
Bought the base model Custom II and added the grips for a classic look.

(Taken just after first trip to the range, you can see the finish already rubbing off the back)

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101