Colt vs Kimber - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt vs Kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2829 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 292

If Colt doesn't float his boat, tell him to look past Kimber to Dan Wesson. Brilliant guns, better warranty, and little to no MIM.
Edit:
Great customer support too. I went to them with a problem with a USED, out of warranty PM7. Keith offered a couple easy fixes to try before resorting to a smith or shipping it. I can't confirm, but I suspect any number of other companies would have told me to go pound sand or had me ship it for fixing at shop rates. Anyway, problem solved.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #12

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm a fan of the older Colts. The stuff they are making leaves me wanting more of the older quality of the Series 70 guns.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Some would say the Kimber is over priced because of all the MIM parts & the Colt only has 4 MIM parts.
Stupid question I know, but what exactly is MIM? I'm not complete in all the terms of a 1911

Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #14

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

Stupid question I know, but what exactly is MIM? I'm not complete in all the terms of a 1911
Metal injection molding*(MIM) is a*metalworkingprocess where finely-powdered metal is mixed with a measured amount of binder material to comprise a 'feedstock' capable of being handled by*plasticprocessing equipment through a process known asinjection mold*forming. The molding process allows complex parts to be shaped in a single operation and in high volume. End products are commonly component items used in various industries and applications. The nature of MIM feedstock flow is defined by a physics called rheology.[1]*Current equipment capability requires processing to stay limited to products that can be molded using typical volumes of 100*grams or less per "shot" into the mold. Rheology does allow this "shot" to be distributed into multiple cavities, thus becoming cost-effective for small, intricate, high-volume products which would otherwise be quite expensive to produce by alternate or classic methods.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #15

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I have two Kimbers...some early problems with one, none with the other. I think they are outstanding. Fortunately, I've never had to use the customer service because I have heard very little good about it.

When I was shopping for them, I looked at a few colts, but they were somewhat more $$$. I felt the Kimbers were quality for the price, and I still do. Others on here won't feel the same, and obviously this is only my opinion.

As far as Kimber over Colt? Well as I said, I have two Kims...Kimbers are used for my "avatar"...but OVER Colt? Yeah....I'm not quite that bold.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51
I have two Kimbers...some early problems with one, none with the other. I think they are outstanding. Fortunately, I've never had to use the customer service because I have heard very little good about it.

When I was shopping for them, I looked at a few colts, but they were somewhat more $$$. I felt the Kimbers were quality for the price, and I still do. Others on here won't feel the same, and obviously this is only my opinion.

As far as Kimber over Colt? Well as I said, I have two Kims...Kimbers are used for my "avatar"...but OVER Colt? Yeah....I'm not quite that bold.
I have several colts-not just 1911s either. I had a kimber compact pro carry II and i had issues w it from the get go. Instead of sending it in i just dug through my stuff and rebuilt it. Now my mom has it and says she likes it ok but prefers to use her taurus 1911 or my colt 1911 commander. She usually carries the commander just because its smaller and "prettier". Its just plain jane except for some cheap knock off compact zebra striped grips in black and white

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Colt is the classic choice for sure. But, Kimber is respectable too.

My experience with match grade kimbers is that they are very tight out of the box, but loosen up with 300 or so rounds. Kimber offers a lot of standard upgrades in package deals, saving costly after purchase work or custom shop work.