Colt sights

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt sights

Hay all I hope this has not been covered in the past. I just got my first 1911, 45 ACP and I love it. It is a Colt MK IV 80 commander. I want to use it as a duty gun for work but I will need to put better sights on it. I want to put night sighs on it. I have done some research and have a general idea on what is out there and how to remove and put new sights on the gun. The question I have is, has anyone done this to there commander and if so does it create problems with the point on aim point of impact. The gun has to be accurate for use at work. Any suggestions on this one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really don't see the need to replace. I have fired a pistol at night in combat. Here are a few facts from that experience:

The muzzle flash in low light or darkness impedes the ability to aquire a sight picture for a follow up shot or shots, regardless of "night sights".

The key to shooting at night is illumination of the target. The classic LE flashlight overhold is highly recommended.

Night or low light engagements with the pistol are close quarter engagements due to the limitations of the human eye to aquire the target. (i.e., with out thermal or light intensifying optics). A carry pistol with no sights (Colt Defender) is just as effective @ 7 to 21 feet as a tritium sight equipped Commander.

I'm sure there are differing opinions on this. My advice.....don't change anything on your duty weapon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Proper technique in night fighting @ close quarter will assure your point of hold is at center mass of the threat, let ballistics do the rest.

Try an experiment ....go out to the range at dusk, set up some IPSC targets and wait till it gets dark. Coax a buddy that has "night sights" on his pistol to go with you. Engage and see what I mean. That .45 ACP is a flamethrower after dark. You will see for yourself if the sight change is worth it.

regards

Steve

Last edited by crockett007; 09-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I agree with the above post. While there are many folks that swear by nightsights, I've never found them a necessity by any means. My preference in sights is a white dot up front and a plain black rear. I black out the rear dots of my guns that came with 3 dot sights...

Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #4

I've changed sights before on the ol' front tennon style Colts and trust me, you'll want a gunsmith to do it, I'm a toll&die machinist and even I thought it was a pain in the butt trying to swage the front tennon in properly, anyone who's had to re-stake plunger tubes knows what I'm talking about.
The other thing is you need a matched set, missmatched heights will throw off your point of aim, even a set meant for a G.I. gun installed on a cammander will be a little off because the front sight should be shorter as you go from G.I. to commander to officers.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

Default Photo

So if the photos attach correctly this is what I got for my Ruger. I took her out the other day and shot a few rounds. It shot great and I like it a lot but, I do not think I will be turning it into my duty gun. I think I will keep it for off duty use with the sights that are on it. The other photo is of my thumb web that got horse bit (get it colt, horse bit, ha ha). I know keep my day job. I got my hand way to high on the back strap and the hammer came back and go me. This was the first shot but that did not stop me from shooting me. When I was done I had blood on the gun. I still love the gun. Thanks for all the info, Big-guns.

guns-009.jpg   guns-008.jpg