Colt series 80 mark IV gold cup national match
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt series 80 mark IV gold cup national match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt series 80 mark IV gold cup national match

I found this gun in a pawn shop today. The upper is what is stated in the header, but the lower is satin and made by safari arms. Is this a common thing to do, i mean put a colt upper on a safari frame? Seems to me that the colt frame would be the way to go. Would this combo lower or raise resale value?
Wanna hear the real kicker? They have it tagged as an Ed Brown! Asking 800.00 out the door. Feedback please. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3052 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

I do not believe that THE Ed Brown would do something like that today, but it is possible that he did something like that earlier in his career.

The combo could be the result of a person getting parts from different sources. Considering what you have written, the price could be a little high for an undocumented Ed Brown.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I do not believe that THE Ed Brown would do something like that today, but it is possible that he did something like that earlier in his career.

The combo could be the result of a person getting parts from different sources. Considering what you have written, the price could be a little high for an undocumented Ed Brown.
The owner thinks or, is representing it as an ed brown when it is clear by the markings that it is not. He is either ignorant of guns, was told by the guy who sold it to him that it was an ed brown and believed him, or is trying to make it look like a high end gun to get more $ out of it. I really dont know or care. I was just wondering because i would like to know if this combo could ever have a decent resale value. If so, what would a ballpark figure be? The fun looks fairly clean as to overall appearance. If i haf to rate it i would probably guess around the 70% range.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3052 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

You can find other 1911's for about the same price that are from one manufacturer (and still have warranty).

I would pass even if the price went down to $500.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #5

i will send a photo when i get it to upload

Last edited by Cadoll; 06-22-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: no photo

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i would pass. you can get a brand spanking new colt for that much. franken guns in the 1911 world dont carry much value. mismatched frames and slides were all the rage in the mid 80s early 90's but they arent worth much. there were a lot of gun writers proclaiming the virtues of frankenstein 1911s lots of gun owners lost lots of money buying those things thinking they had value

there were a lot made by very very good gunmakers but a lot more hack jobs passed off as custom guns to the unsuspecting. unless john moses browning himself was standing there telling you in person he made that specific gun i wouldnt do it.

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-22-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #7

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Sounds like an old DIY custom job. The Safari frames with the little "bill" on the front strap had a little cult following in the 80s and early 90s. You may be seeing one of those kind of guns. You don't see a lot of Safari/Olympic Arms 1911s these days. It will certainly not increase the value. Unless the original owner was lucky, you'll probably see some slide to frame mating issues if you look close enough.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #8

really was not impressed with the fit on the gun, but i thought i would pass it by you all who undoubtedly have a wealth of info. and experience behind you. thanks for the input.

cf353be6-orig.jpg  

Last edited by Cadoll; 06-22-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #9

Sorry, other side....

1acfac30-orig.jpg  

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Whoever it was absolutely ruined what was probably a beautiful blued Gold Cup National Match. The gun in the original condition would be worth a lot more.

If you've absolutely gotta have it, I'd offer $400 and that's as much as I'd be willing to pay for that. I'd ask the seller what proof they have that the gun is an actual Ed Brown. Anyone can take a shadetree DIY custom pistol and put an Ed Brown tag on it. Doesn't mean it's real though.