Colt series 70 1911 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt series 70 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would recommend a Bo-Mar style adjustable target rear sight and probably a fiber optic front sight.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #22

Im assuming the bo mar is the style sight?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #23

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep and the manufacturer. You can get a variety of rear blade shapes:thumbnail.jpg

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #24

Awesome, ill have to look those up

Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #25

I have Bo-Mar's on two of my Colt 1911's and on a SW Model 10 revolver with a bull barrel and the full length Bo-Mar rib with their rear sight along with their front post, which is a simple blact design. I personally like the set up and do not like fiber optic fronts in neon colors. Might just be that I am old school, or just old, but the fiber optic sights are just too distracting to me. They may be optimal in low light combat situations, but for target shooting I prefer the all black sights front and rear. But if you have the opportunity to try several different types on 1911's it would be very beneficial to your decision. Good luck.

However last I checked Bo-Mar may be out of business. But there are a number of copies on the market by different companies. Check some of the major suppliers for alternatives. Some may use the standard dove tail already cut on the slide some may require a modified dove tail be machined.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 08-18-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #26

Ill have to look for me a set of them sights. I really dont want to have it modified for different sights. Another thing i noticed is that when im firing my pistol about 30% of the time the empty brass is coming back and smacking me in the face. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #27

Yep, have a Colt Govt Model MkIV Series 70 I bought back in 1977 for just under $400.00 bucks. I have Bo-Mar sights, Colt/Pachmayer gold medalion wrap around rubber grips, aluminum trigger with lightened trigger action on it. Very accurate. I don't shoot it much anymore, preferring to shoot my SA GI .45 and my RIA compact.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalGuy15 View Post
Ill have to look for me a set of them sights. I really dont want to have it modified for different sights. Another thing i noticed is that when im firing my pistol about 30% of the time the empty brass is coming back and smacking me in the face. Anyone else have this issue?
the ejection problem can be caused by a number of issues. One is grip. If you are not holding securely enough or your wrist is breaking and letting the piece move backwards it can place the rounds in your face. Another may be the tension on the rim by the extractor. If not correct it could cause this problem. Still another is the ejector length. I have installed extended ejectors to cure this problem in some 1911's. Then there is the recoil spring. Some overly light springs or even overly heavy springs may lead to this problem. And then there is the ejection port itself. You can have the port relieved and polished to ensure proper ejection. I know it is a lot to figure out and I would suggest taking it to a qualified smith to assess. Lastly certain ammo could cause this as well. Each 1911 may be different. Good luck.

Bill
NRA Life Member

Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #29

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Don't worry about the sites colt 1911 point
Naturally didn't you know that