Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt Question/Concern (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-question-concern-97071/)

otisthecat 09-15-2013 07:27 AM

Colt Question/Concern

I picked up NIB Colt CCG a few weeks back and it's doing something odd. When I cycle the slide by hand and go to pull the trigger, it only moves a very small amount then stops like it's being blocked by a safety. After that, when I release the trigger it "clicks" like it's resetting and will fire fine.

This only happens when I cycle the slide by hand. If I thumb the hammer down without cycling the trigger depresses fine. If I'm actually shooting and not just dry firing it runs perfect after the first round.

Neither of my other Colts or any of my other 1911s do this. Any ideas what the culprit may be here?

Axxe55 09-15-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat (Post 1372439)
I picked up NIB Colt CCG a few weeks back and it's doing something odd. When I cycle the slide by hand and go to pull the trigger, it only moves a very small amount then stops like it's being blocked by a safety. After that, when I release the trigger it "clicks" like it's resetting and will fire fine.

This only happens when I cycle the slide by hand. If I thumb the hammer down without cycling the trigger depresses fine. If I'm actually shooting and not just dry firing it runs perfect after the first round.

Neither of my other Colts or any of my other 1911s do this. Any ideas what the culprit may be here?

very interesting and funny! reason i say that is my Remington R1 Enhanced does the same thing. but it functions fine when using ammo and otherwise seems to work just perfectly.

i wonder if it has to do with the Series 80 safety system? the R1 uses the same system.

otisthecat 09-15-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1372441)
i wonder if it has to do with the Series 80 safety system? the R1 uses the same system.

That was my first thought, but I kind of dismissed it assuming some of my other 1911s had the series 80 system and they don't do it. Now that I'm thinking about it more though, this may be my only true Series 80, so you're probably right.

At the very least, I know it's not completely unique to me now, so for once may not be due to something I'm doing wrong!

Axxe55 09-15-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat (Post 1372471)
That was my first thought, but I kind of dismissed it assuming some of my other 1911s had the series 80 system and they don't do it. Now that I'm thinking about it more though, this may be my only true Series 80, so you're probably right.

At the very least, I know it's not completely unique to me now, so for once may not be due to something I'm doing wrong!

but that doesn't mean i'm not doing something wrong!:eek:

this is my first 1911 with a Series 80 style safety system a well. it could be unique to that system. i am a little curious as well.

Cheever 09-15-2013 08:22 AM

Without it in my hands it is hard to diagnose, but it almost sounds like the disconnector is not resetting properly and is 'clicking' back into place and that is your "reset". I really doubt it is your series 80 parts as they are just a series of levers that push the firing pin block out of the way.

danf_fl 09-15-2013 11:50 AM

Is there an "adjustable" trigger that got messed with?

That "adjustment" only affects the over travel of the trigger and does not affect weight of pull.

If the trigger was messed with or is not correct, then the series-80 setup will not allow the firing pin to hit the primer, and put nicks in some of the series-80 parts. It will also (if incorrect) hamper the full motion of the sear and allow the hammer to rub on sear.

otisthecat 09-15-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1372529)
Is there an "adjustable" trigger that got messed with?

Nope, just checked and the trigger isn't adjustable. Pull the trigger and there is a "click" at the point when the trigger should break, then releasing the trigger produces a "snap" when it resets, and then it works fine.

If you can diagnose based on my "click" and "snap" description it would be appreciated! :p

danf_fl 09-15-2013 04:05 PM

Disconnector is used in pushing the sear to clear the hooks of the hammer.
When the slide comes back, the disconnector is pushed out of the way (down).
When the slide is in the battery position, the sear spring pushes the disconnector up into the divot of the slide.

One of two things. The disconnector could need replacement or the sear spring could need replacement or adjustment.

otisthecat 09-15-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1372718)
One of two things. The disconnector could need replacement or the sear spring could need replacement or adjustment.

Pulled everything out and made an extremely small adjustment to the sear, and put it all back together (after fighting with the pin for 15 minutes, pins and I have a poor history), and it works perfectly fine now. Cycled it by hand with/without a snap cap a bunch of times, and no more reset required.

Thank you!

JonM 09-15-2013 08:55 PM

Since you bought it new and haven't messed with the internals contact colt. They will make it right.