Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt quality? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-quality-6662/)

Fayettedave 08-30-2008 04:53 PM

Colt quality?

I'm close to scratching the I've-got-to-get-a-new-handgun itch and I want another 1911. After decades away from not shooting I came back home when Colt was in the dumper with all of its political/labor/financial/quality problems.

As a 1911 guy it seems, well...wrong, that I don't already have a Colt but, as I just said I got back into shooting when they were at the bottom. I am interested in a new XSE Commander but am not totally confident that it's going to be the piece it should be.

What do you Colt guys - or just plain 1911 guys -think of Colt Manufacturing Company's recent output?

Dillinger 08-30-2008 08:22 PM

I am not a Colt guy, so take this with a grain of salt.

Colt had the 1911 market in the palm of their hand at one point, then went and shat all over it.

They ran into more problems than any company led by someone without a budget labotomy should have been able to contain and minimize.

I don't believe they are worth their current price request, because they are still living by the Colt name.

HOWEVER -

I have held, and played with, a couple of their new models at SHOT and they are well built, seemed to be well polished, and had a good feel to them. I have no idea if they would print well at the range, as I have not fired one, but they seemed to be putting forth an effort to reclaim their name.

Now, I have been a defender of Taurus, for some time, and they went through similiar trials, so it's fair that I extend the same benefit to Colt.

They are currently asking from $800 to $950 for 1911's in the XSE line. If you find one you like, then it might be worth the price for you.

Besides, any 1911 is better than just about 90% of the other autoloaders out there anyways. :cool:

JD

Mark F 08-30-2008 09:04 PM

The 1911 was John Browning's MASTERPIECE for Colt. To this day the 45 ACP is still the autoloader of choice. That's a 97 YEAR history of knock em' down power. Most everyone makes a 1911 A1 these days and rightfully so. I would love to have a Kimber in my collection but I'd settle for a Taurus.

BigO01 08-30-2008 09:06 PM

I'm all about the 1911 design when done correctly not Colt itself .

They had their time in the sun and blew it by letting the QC slip and had the audacity to continue to raise prices while it happened .

Our American know how and machinery has been exported around the world to the point that some things are indeed made as good or perhaps better than we do here at home .

It may take awhile to get use to looking at your slide and not seeing the Pony on it "it did me" but when at the end of the day you haven't had a single malfunction and have several targets with ragged holes where the 9-X rings use to be at 25 yards it wont matter to you one little bit .

I don't care for extra garbage in the trigger works so The series 80's guns and Taurus's with their firing pin locks etc. don't excite me one little bit as long as someone is making a gun with true series 70 internals .

Kimbers are OK but pushing being overpriced in my opinion and they're about to have done to them what they did to Colt by the Philippine makers and even Kahr/AutOrdance and Daly , they played with the design with their series II jobs and the external extractors and didn't do it right so lost following and their prices keep going up .

Like an old boss of mine use to say when a machine broke down "Make it go" and thats what I expect from my guns for them to "Go" or fire every time I squeeze the trigger and for the bullet to hit the target and right now there's a whole bunch of companies that have or are coming out with 1911's that will do that very well .

More and more people are catching onto the fact that you don't have to pay for a name to get quality and you don't always get "what you pay for" sometimes you get a whole lot more than you imagined for a lot less money .

painted_klown 09-09-2008 03:27 PM

Who do you guys feel makes the "good" low cost 1911's?

I am sure there will be differing opinions on what is considered a "good" gun to own but I am meaning in general. The companies that currently manufacture an accurate, reliable, and lower cost 1911.

As much enthusiasm as there is for 1911's it's hard to not take notice and become curious as to what all the "ado" is about. Being new to firearms I noticed within my first WEEK of reading/learning/trying to absorb information that 1911's were VERY well respected and considered among one of the best gun designs to be produced. It's hard to ignore their immense popularity and long time "battle tested" reliability.:)

Dillinger 09-09-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted_klown (Post 39849)
Who do you guys feel makes the "good" low cost 1911's?

Budget 1911? Hands down Taurus. I feel they are producing the best quality "budget" 1911.

If you can pony up a little more, then Kimber. Kimber, in my opinion, is making the best quality production 1911 going for the money.

Quote:

As much enthusiasm as there is for 1911's it's hard to not take notice and become curious as to what all the "ado" is about. Being new to firearms I noticed within my first WEEK of reading/learning/trying to absorb information that 1911's were VERY well respected and considered among one of the best gun designs to be produced. It's hard to ignore their immense popularity and long time "battle tested" reliability.:)
Where do I start?! :eek:

John Moses Browning was sent to us by the All Father himself, and he landed here about 100 years before his time. His two most well known pieces, the 1911 and the Browning Hi Power, are still this very day, in service all over the globe.

The 1911 is the grandfather of all modern autoloading pistols. Every piece of aluminum, steel and plastic that is being sold today owes some lineage that be can traced directly to that firearm design.

In the 1911 you have a pistol that has been tested, and re-tested, and re-evaluated again, by some of the best minds, hands and shooters on the planet. It's been the sidearm of choice, for people in the know, for over 100 years. 100 years! No small feat if you ask me...

I used to be a double stacked auto loader guy. Shunned the 1911 and the "old timers" that swore by it. It's only got 8 rounds. It's heavy. It's big and cumbersome to carry.

Then one day I went to the range with a guy I was working with who was a life long shooter. Competition guy & hunter from way back in the Christ was in short pants days. Had taken game on 4 continents. Had his hogs tooth from his time in the Marines. Had more badges and emblems on his shooting jacket from competitions than you could possibly count. Basically, there wasn't much the guy hadn't tried, or used, and I really valued his knowledge.

He had a custom built Colt, but he didn't break it out at first. We had talked a lot of handguns and rifles long before we went shooting together. He brought some fancy T/C that he was all proud of. He also had a Remington boltgun pistol that had about $800 worth of wood work on it he let me shoot. He had a Calico, which at the time was kind of new, and something different. We spent the day just shooting and talking. I showed him my "tricked out" Sig Sauer that I was all proud of.

Towards the end of the day he broke out the 1911 and let me put a few rounds through it. After shooting all the other stuff that day, it was like the 1911 was built especially for my hands. I couldn't miss at anything inside 20 feet and I was instantly hooked!

I got two books and read as much as I could about the weapon, it's military service, the who's who of the gun world that considered it to be the end all beat all sidearm and knew I had to have one.

Now I have 5 -with sights on a custom job someday in the future.

The damn things are addictive - they are reliable, they are safe and they will get the job done every time - no matter what.

If you haven't shot one yet painted, I would highly recommend you do so and see what you think...

JD

jeepcreep927 09-09-2008 05:43 PM

If you want a perfectly dependable, 100% reliable, top quality 1911 on a budget, check out the Glock model 2... Uhh, sorry... :D

My 1911 experience is only with Colt (VERY old stock), Kimber and two S/A's: A V10 and a plain old 1911-A1. The Springfield 1911-A1 was pretty cheap, but since it's a bare bones model, you get no extended slide stop, mag release, high grip beaver tail, iPod mount, can opener or anything else that Dillinger might have on his. I simply added the stuff I wanted from the after market as money allowed. Not saying it is the best "budget" platform, but I am happy with it. The V10 is my absolute favorite handgun ever though. At least I have one redeeming quality...

Dillinger 09-09-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 (Post 39861)
you get no extended slide stop, mag release, high grip beaver tail, iPod mount, can opener or anything else that Dillinger might have on his. ...

:D

That's a Zune mount, a "lazer" sight, Halogen high beams and a bi-pod. Geez, how many times do I have to tell you that. :rolleyes:

JD

jeepcreep927 09-09-2008 07:28 PM

Sorry, I try but I can't keep up with all the new things to accessorize and improve the "perfect" pistol. Wait, if it's perfect, why does it need accessories and improvements? Gee, my Glocks don't have accessories and, never mind... (my home address isn't available on here is it? :D )

Dillinger 09-09-2008 07:35 PM

LOL - I agree. The Glock is the perfect pistol. Perfect for the unwashed masses. :D

The rest of us will stick with a quality piece, wait for it, wait for it... KIT! :D

JD