Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > To Colt or not to Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Not a fan of the series 80 Colts-
BUT a series 70 & i'll bite your hand to get it
Right there with ya Hoss!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, I know they all are stainless forged with/without a blue/black surface treatment. It's fairly common practice, at least around here to refer to them as blue or stainless. Didn't mean imply "blued" in the literal sense.

My basic question really was to gauge opinion on colt vs. other manufacturers as a base for a tactical build up. I think the postings and pm's have sold me on my original selection of using a colt. I'll order up a "black finished SS rail gun" in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ahh, for a NIB series 70. Alas, I will have to settle for the 80 and remove the pin block parts during the build up. I used to machine a plug plate to fill the slot but now several suppliers have them as stock items, they usually drop right in.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #14

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Ask for a blued Series 70 Gold Cup and ditch the light rail. Get a Tuperware gun if you need a rail.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So much for the rail gun.
Guy walks in with 2 "broken" guns. He's a neighbor from down the road so I let him hang in the shop while I see what's up. We start talking and he tells me he just inherited these 2 from an Uncle who recently passed away and aside from that bummer, he just got laid off so he figured, well, we're neighbors, so....
First one is a .38 Taurus that's broke. Looks like its never had a round fired through it. Chrome was 100%. The cylinder spins when you pull the trigger but the hammer is locked. Can't even manually cock it. Found that stupid Taurus safety key they came out with a while back in a drawer, unlocked the gun, wiped it with my magic silicone rag and handed it back and told him it would be a nice nightstand gun.
Now the good part. A genuine mint condition original Series 70 Gov, blued with two, yes 2 fitted barrels. When he took it apart, the link pin dropped out. Measured it all up (that's how I knew they were fitted, well that and the fact that it was in a custom shop box that said "extra barrel for s/n xxxx), put the good one in - locked up nice an tight, and fired a mag of mixed type bullets. Ate everything I threw at it. Told him I'd have the other barrel fixed and I'd detail strip and clean (God, there really nothing more beautiful than a polished colt blue slide). Start poking around in his pistol case and he's got a grip style scope mount and a laser that I explained would ruin his gun when he tightened up the SIX pointed setscrews that just seem to, well, bolt on the the front somehow. Advised him to lose the laser and send it back to China.
Today I staked in the link pin, cleaned it all up and did a fast polish (it didn't need much - I doubt this gun had more than a few hundred rounds at most over its lifetime) and was planning my strategy for how I'd get him to sell me the gun and the extra barrel. Didn't really want the scope mount, looked solid but scratched up and scopes on 1911's just aren't my thing but I figured a shot of dura and someone will buy it. He shows up. We head out back to the range, run a couple of mags through each of the barrels and since he clearly didn't know squat about guns or shooting (by his own admission) i walked him through the basics. He's clearly scared of the colt - took the scared factor to a whole new level). Then he turns to me and says, things are pretty tight, I don't think I'll really shoot the colt - I don't suppose you'd be interested in buying all this stuff, would you? I was hoping maybe I could get, oh maybe $400 cash.
I believe this qualifies as "I had a very good day". It was all I could do to not break out in a giant grin.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate you

Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Still grinning.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #18

Really you had a very nice day,Im glad for you.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sort of makes up for the ones where it takes all day to do a barrel.
Thanks.