To Colt or not to Colt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > To Colt or not to Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AS a gunsmith, I can ask the wife for some really strange presents. When she asked me what I wanted for my Birthday I told her a blued colt 19111 with a light rail. Didn't even give it a second thought. now I'm thinking - should I ask the forum what they think? I'm looking for the best platform to build up a daily defensive carry gun. Would really appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-19-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You want what you want. I'm wanting a blued Colt myself, without the rail though, I just like classy styling, even with all the tacticool stuff I was issued in the military, I've never been a huge fan of rails, lights, and lasers.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with Trip. Colt makes very fine 1911's and in my opinion they make the best non-custom 1911's on the market.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually am not a fan of light rails myself. My situation is that I've moved to a fairly remote 12 acres along a river and we most definitely have 4 legged and slithering things for which one would prefer to be armed. From a practicality standpoint, being in a remote area it also makes sense to be armed. I need something that I can walk around at night with between buildings and light up if I hear something. I want a one hand solution so I opted for a rail gun as a base to build on. It actually would work out pretty well
As an "on the nightstand" gun as well. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you want a one hand solution, that's the way to go. Personally, I don't like the idea of walking around with a drawn weapon while using the light on it.

I duct taped a D cell mag light to my saw (had a red dot/visible laser on my only rail) but that was a two handed weapon. With a handgun I would personally prefer a sure fire in one hand and gun in the other.

It comes down to personal preference, please don't let me talk you out of it if it's what you want. I'm just saying it wouldn't be for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The drawn weapon scenario was a concern but from a practical (every day world at my place) standpoint, I think the safety issue would be covered. I really want a 1 hand solution so my other is free for "whatever".
Since I've seen so much crap metal come across my workbench, I figured the forged colt would make the best platform to start with. Thanks for the comments.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
AS a gunsmith, I can ask the wife for some really strange presents. When she asked me what I wanted for my Birthday I told her a blued colt 19111 with a light rail. Didn't even give it a second thought. now I'm thinking - should I ask the forum what they think? I'm looking for the best platform to build up a daily defensive carry gun. Would really appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Colt does not make a blued rail gun. All three models are stainless steel. They do have a model that is blackened with some type of coating.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the Colt 1911 pistols with very little change to them.

img_0285.jpg  

Last edited by Durangokid; 01-19-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #9

I have two colts one is a government model in stainles and the other is a blued commander.I love them both and I kept them by my bedside in the night together with a short flashlight.I dont think is a good idea to go cheking around whith a drawn pistol with a light attached on it.It is not good tactics cause maybe you are revealing your position in a possible self defense situation.You have to analize and work on your defensive strategy.Remember the fact that you are armed not neccesarily means that you are protected.You need a plan that works in case that you have to defense yourself or your loved ones.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Not a fan of the series 80 Colts-
BUT a series 70 & i'll bite your hand to get it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET