Colt New Agent - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt New Agent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL77

I'm a somewhat decent shot at 5-7 yards. Didn't mean to sound like I can't hit the target or anything. But at the same time, I'm not clearing out the x-ring with 10 rounds either, lol.

I'm just in the market for another gun, would like to carry in the near future but at the same time, have no experience with this type of sight or a 3" barrel in .45 ACP. I certainly would not carry the gun without plenty of range time and break in.

I'm not trying to start a big debate between any types of barrel length/muzzle velocity matters, just curious what others carry.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on it.
Buy it. You don't need sights on a concealed carry weapon as there will 99% of the time never be enough time or light to use them. Laser grips are pointless on a ccw as well in my opinion. When the situation arises, you'll be on an adrenaline dump. This means you'll be looking at the threat and nothing else. You more than likely wont even notice that little red dot on him. Get proficient at point and shooting. And make that side safety muscle memory, which means drawing and flipping it A LOT. Get some good 185 gr +p rounds and rock and roll.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

Buy it. You don't need sights on a concealed carry weapon as there will 99% of the time never be enough time or light to use them. Laser grips are pointless on a ccw as well in my opinion. When the situation arises, you'll be on an adrenaline dump. This means you'll be looking at the threat and nothing else. You more than likely wont even notice that little red dot on him. Get proficient at point and shooting. And make that side safety muscle memory, which means drawing and flipping it A LOT. Get some good 185 gr +p rounds and rock and roll.
Feel pretty confident that I could learn the sights with plenty of range time. And, I see everyone's point with the laser grips.

I originally thought they would assist at the range but there is no need to practice with it, if you're not going to use it in a real life situation.

Since the shop wasn't open yesterday, I've had time to do some additional research.

Although I don't see many documented problems with the Colt, some 3" 1911's do seem to have some issues with cycling rounds and muzzle velocity.

I've seen some short barrel ammo and lower grain +P loads that would seem to alleviate those concerns, I do have some worries about using range ammo that would be significantly different than my carry ammo.

I'm just trying to get my facts in order before making a purchase that I may ask to save my life someday.

Again, everyone's feedback has been much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #23

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL77

Feel pretty confident that I could learn the sights with plenty of range time. And, I see everyone's point with the laser grips.

I originally thought they would assist at the range but there is no need to practice with it, if you're not going to use it in a real life situation.

Since the shop wasn't open yesterday, I've had time to do some additional research.

Although I don't see many documented problems with the Colt, some 3" 1911's do seem to have some issues with cycling rounds and muzzle velocity.

I've seen some short barrel ammo and lower grain +P loads that would seem to alleviate those concerns, I do have some worries about using range ammo that would be significantly different than my carry ammo.

I'm just trying to get my facts in order before making a purchase that I may ask to save my life someday.

I went through the same thing with my purchase of a new agent a year ago. A lot of 3" ones do have issues. You'll hardly hear of the defender or new agent with these issues. I shoot mine with whatever ammo is available at reasonable prices. Never a hiccup. I've got 823 rnds through mine.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL77 View Post

feed issues dont happen with the colt new agent/defender pistols as a rule. occasionally any gunmaker lets a lemon out the door. if you happen to get one colt will make it right. colt says no break in period required. if it doesnt work after its initial cleaning and lubing send it back as a properly built handgun doesnt need a "breakin" period.

ive run everything from minimal handloads to max loads in my new agent no problems. i only shoot 230 grain bullets out of my 1911's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #25

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I owned one a year or two ago and loved it (45acp)!! I regret having sold it off. I'm embarrassed to say that I sold it for a KIMBER

-Fit and finish were awesome! THe carbon steel's blued finish was gorgeous!

-I never once had a malfunction. Can't say that about the Kimber Ultra...

-The trench sights are a lot more accurate than you might think. I was still able to concentrate and shoot tight groups. It is NOT like having no sights at all. Another benefit of the trench sights is that you can line up the barrel in unconventional shooting positions.

I REALLY want another Colt back in my collection...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I owned one a year or two ago and loved it (45acp)!! I regret having sold it off. I'm embarrassed to say that I sold it for a KIMBER
yeah.... i would say that was right up there on the genius move scale hehehe

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well said JonM. i have a SA Micro Compact 45 that has a 3" barrel. very accurate and well made. has always functioned just as it was designed to do. i shoot factory ammo and my reloads. personally i like my 200 gr. XTP reloads in it. they work great.

i tinker with a lot of my pistols, but the Micro Compact will never get any inside mods whatsoever. just seems to be asking for problems. i have changed mine from a ambi-safety to a single sided safety and changed the slide release to a longer one, but these were for fitting it to my needs and to better fit me. the only other thing i might change if i ever find some i really like better are the grips.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 133 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Well, I needed a 9mm, didn't really want my XDs anymore (great gun, but when the 1911 bug got me I just lost interest in it), and the LGS traded me almost straight across for a new New Agent. Could not pass that up, so now my Defender .45 has a kid brother in 9mm. I'll post some pics in the 1911 pic thread after work.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 133 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Way more difficulty replacing the slide stop than I've ever had before. It just didn't want to snap back in. No idea why it would be different than the Defender, but it most certainly was. No idiot scratch, but pretty darn close.