Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt MKIV Series 80

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt MKIV Series 80

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something. I recently acquired a Colt MK IV Series 80 slide/barrel. Everything is complete with the upper, I just couldn't take the frame. I'd like to get it put back together, but I a) don't know where to start to find a complete frame, b) don't know if it's even worth it, and c)don't know if I'll have more luck trying to find an original frame, or find an aftermarket setup.

I'm by no means a 1911 afficianado, but would love to have this gun as my first.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

-Taylor

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Since this was your first post, welcome. When you get a chance, go on over to the introduction thread and tell us about yourself.

Since we've never met, this may be new information (maybe not). The frame is the part of the gun that is actually controlled as a gun, not the slide or other parts. Thus, you won't be able to just go to a website and buy a 1911 frame unless through an FFL.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

I understand I'll have to buy it through an FFL, I just didn't know if it was likely anyone knew of a company or anything that would carry a frame I could use with this slide. Kind of like how Lone Wolf Industries sells frames for Glocks, though they're not OEM frames. Make sense?

One more question...is this a pretty good gun, or is it more hassle than it's worth. It says on the side 'Combat Government Model', but I'm not sure where that model is on the hierarchy list for Colt 1911's.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

as a complete gun they are good guns. colts are about as milspec as it gets if you want to turn it into a 100% colt your gonna have to talk to colt and see about getting a frame. colt doesnt sell guns directly to the public but they will point you to a dealer that will.

my opinion your prolly going to be spending the cost of a new colt. with 1911 there is usally fitting to be done tween frame and slide.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would pick up a Fusion frame, and the necessary internals. Then have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to fit it together.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think Rock is giving you sound advice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #7

I looked at those frames, Rock. That's exactly what I was getting at, somewhere I could buy a replacement frame. My searches hadn't yielded anything. Any suggestions on a trigger? Is there any signifigance to it being a 'combat government model', or is that pretty much run of the mill?

Thanks for all the replies, I feel alot better about this gun.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOMFD View Post
I looked at those frames, Rock. That's exactly what I was getting at, somewhere I could buy a replacement frame. My searches hadn't yielded anything. Any suggestions on a trigger? Is there any signifigance to it being a 'combat government model', or is that pretty much run of the mill?

Thanks for all the replies, I feel alot better about this gun.
The Combat Government Model was Colt's attempt at putting some of the popular touches on a factory 1911. Decent sights, long trigger, bevelled mag well, lowered ejection port, etc. They were really great pistols, especially for the day.

I prefer short triggers on my 1911s. Internal parts should be Ed Brown. Brownells has everything you need, and can ship the frame to your FFL. Or they can get one from Fusion or Gun Broker.

Not sure if the Fusions are cut for Series 80 parts. I'd just disassemble the slide you have and removed the firing pin block. Then it will fit on any pre-Series 70 style frame.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

My last frame from Fusion did not have the series 80 cuts.
Most smiths can order a frame from Brownells and transfer it to you.
Going through a gunsmith also introduces you to someone who can help assemble your dream 1911a1 platform.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to see if I can find a gunsmith in Boise to start working on this thing. I got the slide/barrel for free, so it's really a win-win I suppose. Thanks again for the help.