Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt MKIV Series 80 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-mkiv-series-80-a-44054/)

EOMFD 06-19-2011 01:41 AM

Colt MKIV Series 80

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something. I recently acquired a Colt MK IV Series 80 slide/barrel. Everything is complete with the upper, I just couldn't take the frame. I'd like to get it put back together, but I a) don't know where to start to find a complete frame, b) don't know if it's even worth it, and c)don't know if I'll have more luck trying to find an original frame, or find an aftermarket setup.

I'm by no means a 1911 afficianado, but would love to have this gun as my first.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

-Taylor

CHLChris 06-19-2011 01:50 AM

Since this was your first post, welcome. When you get a chance, go on over to the introduction thread and tell us about yourself.

Since we've never met, this may be new information (maybe not). The frame is the part of the gun that is actually controlled as a gun, not the slide or other parts. Thus, you won't be able to just go to a website and buy a 1911 frame unless through an FFL.

EOMFD 06-19-2011 01:57 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I understand I'll have to buy it through an FFL, I just didn't know if it was likely anyone knew of a company or anything that would carry a frame I could use with this slide. Kind of like how Lone Wolf Industries sells frames for Glocks, though they're not OEM frames. Make sense?

One more question...is this a pretty good gun, or is it more hassle than it's worth. It says on the side 'Combat Government Model', but I'm not sure where that model is on the hierarchy list for Colt 1911's.

JonM 06-19-2011 02:17 AM

as a complete gun they are good guns. colts are about as milspec as it gets if you want to turn it into a 100% colt your gonna have to talk to colt and see about getting a frame. colt doesnt sell guns directly to the public but they will point you to a dealer that will.

my opinion your prolly going to be spending the cost of a new colt. with 1911 there is usally fitting to be done tween frame and slide.

M14sRock 06-19-2011 02:34 AM

I would pick up a Fusion frame, and the necessary internals. Then have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to fit it together.

CA357 06-19-2011 03:07 AM

I think Rock is giving you sound advice.

EOMFD 06-19-2011 03:54 AM

I looked at those frames, Rock. That's exactly what I was getting at, somewhere I could buy a replacement frame. My searches hadn't yielded anything. Any suggestions on a trigger? Is there any signifigance to it being a 'combat government model', or is that pretty much run of the mill?

Thanks for all the replies, I feel alot better about this gun.

M14sRock 06-19-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EOMFD (Post 525415)
I looked at those frames, Rock. That's exactly what I was getting at, somewhere I could buy a replacement frame. My searches hadn't yielded anything. Any suggestions on a trigger? Is there any signifigance to it being a 'combat government model', or is that pretty much run of the mill?

Thanks for all the replies, I feel alot better about this gun.

The Combat Government Model was Colt's attempt at putting some of the popular touches on a factory 1911. Decent sights, long trigger, bevelled mag well, lowered ejection port, etc. They were really great pistols, especially for the day.

I prefer short triggers on my 1911s. Internal parts should be Ed Brown. Brownells has everything you need, and can ship the frame to your FFL. Or they can get one from Fusion or Gun Broker.

Not sure if the Fusions are cut for Series 80 parts. I'd just disassemble the slide you have and removed the firing pin block. Then it will fit on any pre-Series 70 style frame.

danf_fl 06-19-2011 09:20 AM

My last frame from Fusion did not have the series 80 cuts.
Most smiths can order a frame from Brownells and transfer it to you.
Going through a gunsmith also introduces you to someone who can help assemble your dream 1911a1 platform.

EOMFD 06-21-2011 01:50 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to see if I can find a gunsmith in Boise to start working on this thing. I got the slide/barrel for free, so it's really a win-win I suppose. Thanks again for the help.