Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt or Kimber? if you uwn one....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-kimber-if-you-uwn-one-44627/)

eborden1122 07-02-2011 02:23 PM

Colt or Kimber? if you uwn one.......

Hey Guys,
Gotta question, I am going to get either a Colt Gold Cup"Ttrophy" or a Kimber with laser grips. Does anyone on here own either one? I have talked with my buddies in the neighborhood anf the guys at the gun shop and it is literally a 50/50 split. So now I turn to my friends here yet again, opinions please? Cane?

canebrake 07-02-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122 (Post 533175)
Hey Guys,
Gotta question, I am going to get either a Colt Gold Cup"Ttrophy" or a Kimber with laser grips. Does anyone on here own either one? I have talked with my buddies in the neighborhood anf the guys at the gun shop and it is literally a 50/50 split. So now I turn to my friends here yet again, opinions please? Cane?

My answer should be obvious and unabashedly biased.

Hands down, the Gold Cup. Although I could go on ad nauseum with the virtues of the Colts, I'll spare JD and his incessant need to defend Kimber.

Get the Colt, you will be happy. (And you won't need a laser to put steel on target!)

CA357 07-02-2011 03:26 PM

Both are excellent pistols. My suggestion is that if you go for the Kimber, pass on the laser.

mesinge2 07-02-2011 03:35 PM

I own both Colts and a Kimber and they're both great guns. Accurate and reliable.

Here's a review of my Kimber: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f76/kimber-america-kimber-stainless-tle-ii-41042/

The only problems I have had with any of my 1911s are magazine related. Just get some Tripp Cobra mags and you'll be set!

danf_fl 07-02-2011 09:58 PM

While there are some advantages to having a laser, for most of my target shooting I do without.
A laser is good to help enforce the basics of pistol shooting, but I have seen too many people rely only on the laser and not the basics.

Now which firearm? Sorry, I don't have either Kimber or Colt, so I'm staying out.

Wambli 07-02-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122 (Post 533175)
Hey Guys,
Gotta question, I am going to get either a Colt Gold Cup"Trophy" or a Kimber with laser grips. Does anyone on here own either one? I have talked with my buddies in the neighborhood anf the guys at the gun shop and it is literally a 50/50 split. So now I turn to my friends here yet again, opinions please? Cane?

Is this a range or a carry gun. The reason I'm asking is that the nice sharp target rear sight on the Gold Cup does a really good job of taking a hunk of skin off my side (actually all target sights on 1911s for the most part) when I carry it concealed. Just a thought...

Love Colts and love Kimbers. At the moment I find myself Colt-less because the last series 70 I owned I had to sell to a friend of mine that had never owned a 1911 and I found myself compelled to end his misery. I'm currently looking for another to replace it. I do own several Kimbers and they are world class guns.

As far as lasers are concerned they are fine tools as long as you learn and get the fundamentals solid. So use it as an advantage when nessesary not as a crutch to skip out on training and marksmanship.

Quentin 07-02-2011 10:52 PM

Without a doubt, Gold Cup. Though I don't own that model, my Colt Series '70 has done everything I've asked of it for 35 faithful years. Would be hard pressed to have had a better friend at my side all that time.

spittinfire 07-03-2011 02:53 PM

I like my Kimber but I think I would go with the Gold Cup.

mag318 07-04-2011 06:01 PM

I would go with the Colt. Kimber and a lot of other companies make quality 1911s, but nobody has been doing it as long as Colt. Colt will always be the standard by which others are judged, so why not get the original.

DinkyDauDon 07-04-2011 07:16 PM

I have both...wouldn't trade either one of them. I use Tripp mags in both with great reliability. Tried lasers, didn't like them, I guess I'm too old school.