Colt Double Eagle Lightwieght Officer`s Model
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt Double Eagle Lightwieght Officer`s Model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Double Eagle Lightwieght Officer`s Model

I posted this thread on another catagory of this website. I don`t know if all of the 1911 fans consider Colt Double Eagles ''1911s''. I purchased a Colt Double Eagle Lightweight Officer`s Model last week. This gun sat in a friends safe for years,he never cleaned it, nor did I know he even had it. I bought it for $400.00. I could not wait to get this gun home and break it down and clean and lube it. The gun was so much smoother after a good cleaning and lube. Now, I could not wait to get it to the range. The Double Eagle .45`s take regular 1911 .45 magazines. So, I grabbed 2 Kimber factory and 2 Mec-Gar mags. The gun shot excellent, I hit everything I was aiming at. My targets were 10 - 25 yard targets and I was amazed at the the groups on this 3 1/2'' barrel. No jams or burps out of 100 rounds (I was shooting my Hornady 230Grn.FMJ reloads) The Lightweight had a little recoil to it, but I am a recoil junky anyway. I was impressed. I got home, stripped the gun down and cleaned it and lubed it again,this my favorite gun now other than my duty gun. Also, I got on gun auction websites and found this gun going for $800 - $1250.00. The gun feels like a Sig P228 with a 1911 slide and magazine. I think they fit the same holster too, I know the full size Double Eagles fit Smith and Wesson 4506 holsters. I have read alot on Colt Double Eagles,some were not good ratings when the guns first came out,I guess I got a good one. I like my new toy !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I had never heard of a "Lightweight Officers Model Double Eagle" before. I have handled a few over the years. They had a reputation for biting the shooter's trigger finger. I never experienced this but heard many people complain of it.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Yes, it is a blued Colt Double Eagle Lightweight Officer`s Model .45 ACP... I never heard of it either. When I first saw it, '' for $400'', I jumped on it. It has not bit me yet,it shot very good. Serial Number is # 1114

Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I had never heard of a "Lightweight Officers Model Double Eagle" before. I have handled a few over the years. They had a reputation for biting the shooter's trigger finger. I never experienced this but heard many people complain of it.
From Wikipedia,(cane)

The Colt Double Eagle is a double-action, semi-automatic pistol manufactured by Colt's Manufacturing Company between 1989 and 1997. It was available in standard full-size, as well as in more compact versions, features a decocking lever, and was chambered for several calibers. The family of models was known as the Series 90. (Current Series 90 models are the Defender and New Agent in SA)

The design of the Double Eagle was based (ba$terdized) on the Colt M1911 pistol. Magazines are single stack and are identical to magazines shipped with the M1911. Most of the Double Eagle models were available in stainless steel only, however the "Lightweight" Officer's had an alloy frame and blued slide.

The slide used a (ba$terdized) version of Colt's series 80 locking firing pin safety (requirement of the safety nazis and probably PETA), but unlike Colt's series 80 pistols, the Double Eagle Officer's model in .45 ACP held an 8 round magazine.

The Double Eagle was chambered for several calibers; among the more common are .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 10mm Auto. Occasionally one will see a copy in 9mm and .38 Super. Similar to the M1911, Colt offered, in addition to the full-sized version, the more compact Commanders and Officers versions. The full-sized version was chambered for .45 ACP and 10mm Auto, while the Commander model was chambered for .40 S&W in addition to the other two calibers. The Officers model was available only in .45 ACP. Former gun writer Dean Speir once described a 10mm round which exploded due to an improperly cut chamber.[1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
It has not bit me yet....
Colt also redesigned the trigger mechanism and added a retaining plate due to some shooters having problems with skin being pinched by the top part of the trigger, as well as some springs and pins only being retained by the grip panel. The result was the Double Eagle Mark II.

It's a ba$tard! A 1911 JMB designed handgun MUST be a SA! Respect my ATHORITAYYYYYYY!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #5

That was a cool response Cane,..thanks for the details and research. You must be a Colt fan.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #6

The rebluing is a big sucess, I refinished the sights, and recleaned and lubed the whole gun. Colt would be proud of this one, it is better than it was years ago when it came off of the line. It`s all stock, the only thing after market is the Mec-Gar magazines.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #7

I've been carrying my Double Eagle Officer's Model Light Weight for over twenty years.

At the time I bought it, there were not a whole lot of options for a small, light double action 45. Per my department's policy, it had to be double action if I was to carry it as a back up.

All my old 1911 mags fit. Sig 228 hosters fit. It's small. It's light. It's accurate. IT DOES NOT JAM!

I thought it might be a 'shoot little-carry much' gun. Carry much indeed. All the time while on duty as a back up. All the time off duty.

I heard a lot of nasty talk about the Double Eagles. My experience is quite the opposite. I have fired it *when it counts* - repeatedly. I have counted on it and it has never failed me.

About the only thing I could ask for would be a higher capacity magazine. Paraordanance is *almost* there but, a safety on a double action only gun?...

Find one - grab it!