Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   1911 Forum (
-   -   Colt Delta Elite (

lilnoug 09-11-2012 04:58 AM

Colt Delta Elite
I'm hoping on some comments from some knowledgeable gun owners. I just purchased a colt delta elite 10mm. Have not fired it yet and noticed one of the magazines that come with it does not lock the slide back when I rack it with an empty magazine. I tried the second magazine and when I racked the slide with the empty magazine the slide locked back properly. I called colt and they told me to send them the defective magazine and they will send me a new one. My question is do you think it's just a bad magazine or is it the gun? When comparing the two magazines I did not see anything that differed from the two. Should I be worried?

danf_fl 09-11-2012 09:14 AM

Chances are that the mag is the problem.

Mags create the majority of problems for a semi-auto.
(followed closely by a "parts swapper" who calls him / herself a gunsmith.)

CA357 09-11-2012 08:32 PM

^^^^^^ What Dan said.

canebrake 09-12-2012 10:19 AM

1.) Make sure the slide stop pin is lubed, just a drop of light oil. SS's are always tight on ANY new 1911 and should be checked for lube prior to using the gun. Also check for wear and/or galling as the round count goes up. This will indicate miss-alignment of pin to barrel link.

2.) Lay the two mags side-to-side and inspect the slidestop interface for differences.

You should find your problem with one of the two suggestions above.

lilnoug 09-18-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the insightful comments. I could not find any differences in the magazines. Being the gun is new and unfurled, i called Colt. I have mailed them the magazine I an having issues with. They are sending me a new one. Having no idea how long that will take, I have purchased one from I will comment once I get the magazine. Thanks all!