Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt Defender Issues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-defender-issues-93185/)

Anch368 07-01-2013 09:00 AM

Colt Defender Issues

Hey all, been a long time since I have been on here. My buddy has a brand new Colt Defender in .45 ACP. The gun feels very nice to hold and conceal and shoots extremely well. The significant issue that both of us are having is accuracy. Now I am not trying to hit a target at 25 yards with it I am trying to hit center mass on a target that is 5 yards away. While aiming dead center on the bench and off hand it is hitting at the 4 o'clock position about a foot to foot and a half from the center. That's WAYYY off by my standards. Doesn't matter who shoots it, everyone is getting about the same spot. The precision is extremely nice, all of the shots are in a tight 1/4" group its just the accuracy that's the problem. I don't think there is anything I can do to remedy the issue myself however I am not really a 1911 guy and could use your expertise in the matter. I have taken it completely apart and DCOA'd it and same results. I have also tried 5 differents types of ammo with no improvement. Is it time to call Colt? Thanks for all of your help!

miamivice 07-01-2013 05:08 PM

Sounds like the sights my have been installed incorrect. Are they adjustable?

crockett007 07-01-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamivice (Post 1292136)
Sounds like the sights my have been installed incorrect. Are they adjustable?

There are no sights on the defender:eek:

Jstrong 07-01-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crockett007

There are no sights on the defender:eek:

There are indeed sights on the defender,but not on the new agent.

danf_fl 07-01-2013 07:20 PM

It sound like sights.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtDefender™Series.aspx

With the NV sights, try to put the dot of the front sight as POA (Point of Aim), and align the rear sight accordingly. (yep, it'll cover some area that is "normally" seen above the sight)

Anch368 07-02-2013 07:45 AM

I am pretty sure that these are not adjustable sights but I will have to get my hands on it again and check but I am almost positive they aren't. Pretty sure that was the first thing I looked for at the range when I noticed how off they were. Any other ideas?

danf_fl 07-02-2013 08:53 AM

There is a sight pusher on ebay for about $50.
Or, send it back to Colt.

Doc3402 07-02-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anch368 (Post 1291917)
Hey all, been a long time since I have been on here. My buddy has a brand new Colt Defender in .45 ACP. The gun feels very nice to hold and conceal and shoots extremely well. The significant issue that both of us are having is accuracy. Now I am not trying to hit a target at 25 yards with it I am trying to hit center mass on a target that is 5 yards away. While aiming dead center on the bench and off hand it is hitting at the 4 o'clock position about a foot to foot and a half from the center. That's WAYYY off by my standards. Doesn't matter who shoots it, everyone is getting about the same spot. The precision is extremely nice, all of the shots are in a tight 1/4" group its just the accuracy that's the problem. I don't think there is anything I can do to remedy the issue myself however I am not really a 1911 guy and could use your expertise in the matter. I have taken it completely apart and DCOA'd it and same results. I have also tried 5 differents types of ammo with no improvement. Is it time to call Colt? Thanks for all of your help!

Warranty return that thing. Let Colt figure it out.

Anch368 07-02-2013 10:11 AM

Warranty return it is. Thanks everyone.

Doc3402 07-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anch368 (Post 1292783)
Warranty return it is. Thanks everyone.

In cases like this it's really the safest way to go. If something gets broken bent or scratched it's their problem. They have to make it right or replace it. If you bend break or scratch something it's coming out of your pocket. Imagine owning that gun and seeing a huge scratch in it for as long as you own it because you didn't take advantage of the warranty.