colt commander...is it really worth it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > colt commander...is it really worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default colt commander...is it really worth it?

I have a local gun shop in my area that has a NIB Colt commander TALO Wiley Clapp edition. I LOVE the way this thing looks. Anyone know if this is really something special, or just another painted up bells and whistles sales pitch? Is there anything special done internally to make this 1911 stand out?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I have a Talo Colt CCO & love it. I don't think Talo has a lot to do with the internal workings/quality of the handgun, mostly just cosmetic stuff. I suspect their name & design is part of the price, as well as they are usually limited runs (only 800 of the one I bought). If Colt had a regular production CCO, I would not have bought the Talo edition, but I wanted the 4.25" barrel & lightweight officer's frame configuretion.

It really comes down to whether you like the pistol. Many folks buy an off-the-shelf pistol, then spend $$$ modifying it. So, if you like the particular mods that Wiley Clapp did, it's worth it!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The Colt 21st Century Commander IS the next carry pistol I will own. Yes, I will be going back to .45 ACP and retiring the Browning.

It will be the first "new" gun that I have no intention of changing from the way it comes out of the box! It doesn't need a thing except ammo. (Well maybe some Tripp Research Cobra Mags....but that's it!)

From Colt;

The 21st Century Commander is a Talo exclusive Series 70 Style commander designed by Wiley Clapp.

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Features
  • Series 70 Firing System
  • Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Frame
  • Original 1911 Small Safety Lock
  • Front and Rear Slide Serrations
  • Long Black Trigger
  • Flat Smith and Alexander checkered Mainspring Housing
  • Colt Beavertail Grip Safety
  • Novak Wide Notch Rear Sight
  • Novak Brass Bead Front Sight
  • Tactical Oval grips with fingerprint checkering
  • Pete Single 25 lpi checkered front strap
  • Special Serial Number

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

That is a very nice looking pistol. I should research it, but not too long ago I thought Colt was defunct and or at least quit making handguns. Then, without much fanfare, they have slipped back in the business. A good thing...but a bit confusing.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3045 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Yes it is worth it. Considering some of it's direct competitors, it's not badly priced. I saw one advertised recently for around $1100+. That's not that much these days for something that nice.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
The Colt 21st Century Commander IS the next carry pistol I will own. Yes, I will be going back to .45 ACP and retiring the Browning.

It will be the first "new" gun that I have no intention of changing from the way it comes out of the box! It doesn't need a thing except ammo. (Well maybe some Tripp Research Cobra Mags....but that's it!)

From Colt;

The 21st Century Commander is a Talo exclusive Series 70 Style commander designed by Wiley Clapp.

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Features
[*]Series 70 Firing System[*]Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Frame[*]Original 1911 Small Safety Lock[*]Front and Rear Slide Serrations[*]Long Black Trigger[*]Flat Smith and Alexander checkered Mainspring Housing[*]Colt Beavertail Grip Safety[*]Novak Wide Notch Rear Sight[*]Novak Brass Bead Front Sight[*]Tactical Oval grips with fingerprint checkering[*]Pete Single 25 lpi checkered front strap[*]Special Serial Number
I've been looking at that pic all day. Seeing it for this last time, when you posted it, made me commit to that gun. I'll be purchasing it this week. Thanks. Lol.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\