Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   colt commander...is it really worth it? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-commander-really-worth-58917/)

Broke124 02-27-2012 05:12 PM

colt commander...is it really worth it?

I have a local gun shop in my area that has a NIB Colt commander TALO Wiley Clapp edition. I LOVE the way this thing looks. Anyone know if this is really something special, or just another painted up bells and whistles sales pitch? Is there anything special done internally to make this 1911 stand out?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

gollygee 02-27-2012 05:58 PM

I have a Talo Colt CCO & love it. I don't think Talo has a lot to do with the internal workings/quality of the handgun, mostly just cosmetic stuff. I suspect their name & design is part of the price, as well as they are usually limited runs (only 800 of the one I bought). If Colt had a regular production CCO, I would not have bought the Talo edition, but I wanted the 4.25" barrel & lightweight officer's frame configuretion.

It really comes down to whether you like the pistol. Many folks buy an off-the-shelf pistol, then spend $$$ modifying it. So, if you like the particular mods that Wiley Clapp did, it's worth it! :)

canebrake 02-27-2012 07:25 PM

The Colt 21st Century Commander IS the next carry pistol I will own. Yes, I will be going back to .45 ACP and retiring the Browning. :o

It will be the first "new" gun that I have no intention of changing from the way it comes out of the box! It doesn't need a thing except ammo. (Well maybe some Tripp Research Cobra Mags....but that's it!)
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ander_1911.jpg
From Colt;
The 21st Century Commander is a Talo exclusive Series 70 Style commander designed by Wiley Clapp.

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Features
  • Series 70 Firing System
  • Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Frame
  • Original 1911 Small Safety Lock
  • Front and Rear Slide Serrations
  • Long Black Trigger
  • Flat Smith and Alexander checkered Mainspring Housing
  • Colt Beavertail Grip Safety
  • Novak Wide Notch Rear Sight
  • Novak Brass Bead Front Sight
  • Tactical Oval grips with fingerprint checkering
  • Pete Single 25 lpi checkered front strap
  • Special Serial Number

Sonic82 02-27-2012 07:37 PM

That is a very nice looking pistol. I should research it, but not too long ago I thought Colt was defunct and or at least quit making handguns. Then, without much fanfare, they have slipped back in the business. A good thing...but a bit confusing.

Overkill0084 02-27-2012 07:41 PM

Yes it is worth it. Considering some of it's direct competitors, it's not badly priced. I saw one advertised recently for around $1100+. That's not that much these days for something that nice.

Broke124 02-27-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
The Colt 21st Century Commander IS the next carry pistol I will own. Yes, I will be going back to .45 ACP and retiring the Browning. :o

It will be the first "new" gun that I have no intention of changing from the way it comes out of the box! It doesn't need a thing except ammo. (Well maybe some Tripp Research Cobra Mags....but that's it!)

From Colt;

The 21st Century Commander is a Talo exclusive Series 70 Style commander designed by Wiley Clapp.

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Features
[*]Series 70 Firing System[*]Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Frame[*]Original 1911 Small Safety Lock[*]Front and Rear Slide Serrations[*]Long Black Trigger[*]Flat Smith and Alexander checkered Mainspring Housing[*]Colt Beavertail Grip Safety[*]Novak Wide Notch Rear Sight[*]Novak Brass Bead Front Sight[*]Tactical Oval grips with fingerprint checkering[*]Pete Single 25 lpi checkered front strap[*]Special Serial Number

I've been looking at that pic all day. Seeing it for this last time, when you posted it, made me commit to that gun. I'll be purchasing it this week. Thanks. Lol.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\