Colt 1991 Govt. Model??? Compensator??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt 1991 Govt. Model??? Compensator???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

No, I really need to take another picture of that gun it was'nt eve finished then we did more slide work it looks much better now

Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #12

Here is some reality http://www.gansguns.com/installM2.html.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #13

What part are you talking about being reality, the over $300 to thread the barrel, or that comp on a 45 is only good for heavy loads, I can understand that, I had a comp 45 from the factory and light loads shot but it did not really operate the comp, fact, the gun shown will shoot below any book specifications on load data, below minor power factor and will feel as if you were shooting a 22, when I bought the Barrel from Will Shueman I told him what I wanted to do for a Steel Plate Gun just for the fun of it he then instructed us as what was needed, one it had to be set up perfectly and that 98% of the people building 1911 are not, it is way to time consuming to TIME a 1911, and to go according to Wills Specifications, and the instructions that come with his barrels, we tested for three months under his guidance until after every burr that could cause friction was removed, then finally we got it.
I drove my buddy nuts who was doing the machine work,I did allot of hand sanding, Will Shueman talked us through it all the way, it all started when I saw Spingfields Addvertisement on their open gun that would shoot major and minor for $3200 I have about $2200 and countless hours and about 2000 rounds through it and never a hickup unless I screw up loading like a high primer.

I think I have been to your site before your guns or Fabulous looking.

For those of you who may not be familiar with who Will Shueman is, he is considered the GURU of the 1911s by most, his barrels are in every SVI gun and he even set up machines at SVI factory so they could build his barrel on site and desighned their Slide if you want to know anything about a 1911 call Will he is like talking to a Rocket Scientist great guy.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #14

The discussion was about installing a compensator and the prices are all over the place. The link showing the cost of $335 was for the total cost of the comp, installation and all the parts to install that particular comp.

As far as that comp not being for light loads, it is designed for full power ammo. The amount of pressure from the ports of that compensator will push down on the barrel, slide and frame. The pressure causes friction and the slide will not cycle properly.

To install a comp on a gun that is to be used with light loads will require different things to be changed. A smaller less efficient comp that doesn't push down as much, a lightened slide, lighter comp/barrel, lighter recoils spring, timing, etc. will all need to be considered.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #15

Sure, absolutely it takes a bunch to make one shoot light I learned that.

What do you think of this, Will told me anything over 3 ports does nothing even for major pf loads, my USPSA gun is a 3 port Steel comp but I see allot of guys useing 7 port What do you think?

Thanks for your info

Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #16

I guess that I can't agree with that, I install comps with more than 3 ports all the time and I can see a difference. It all depends on what the customer is looking for.

For a racegun, 3-4 vertical ports seem to work the best for major loads. The size and number of ports will depend on the caliber, powder, and weight of dynamic parts. The side ports are bleeders that reduce the recoil but don't do anything for the flip and they add wight. So it depends on what they are looking for in the comp.

I have installed comps with 4 big vertical ports and light slides. For me, the comp actually dips down rather than flips up. That is not good for me, but some shooter that have a weaker grip like them because the gun shoots flat for them.

So there is no best set up for everyone. That is where custom built guns come into play. They are built to the customers needs.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #17

You know I have a 4 port vertical sitting in my parts box I did not like it but I really was not sure why, so I put a Stainless EGW 3 port on my USPSA gun and I like it just fine, we just did more slide work it was to heavy in front, we have horizontal groves and we just ported the top front I will shoot Sunday, and see if the weight feels better if not I may go to a bidell Titanium and cut it down to a 3 from a 7 like we did the steel gun, but I should really try it with 7, I guess you can see how un decided I am on my USPSA gun I bought this used it has about 10k rounds and I am getting to my liking, like you said its whatever a guy feels good with.

I am useing 7.2 of 3 n 37 on my chrony it was low was 1336 fps avg was 1346 high was 1386, now my buddy who is a Master Class shooter just got a gun built by Millinium he said my chrony is off, he loading 8.2 of 3 n 37 so we have a big dispute one of us is off, were going to take both chronies and ck in a few wks he is shooting Tenn Sectional I guess this wk end, do you think 2 guns could be that different I think it is possible, but a grain of powder is a bunch, I am going to bet I am on and it makes sense their data shows with a 4 in gun and 124 FMJ at 6.2 grs 1243 so 5 inch gun at 7.2 should be were I am at.

when I get this USPSA gun done I will put picture up but our machine work is NO Where as Elegant and Proffesional looking as your work, but it will be functional, whole idea is weight so it will serve its purpose. I don' know what you charge to lighten one up and make it just soooo nice but I have seen prices from 600 to 800 but I see guys all the time with those $3500 guns but I don't think any of them are retired like me.