Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt 1991 Govt. Model??? Compensator??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-1991-govt-model-compensator-6762/)

jknopp45 09-04-2008 06:31 AM

Colt 1991 Govt. Model??? Compensator???

Hey I Just bought a used Colt 1991A1 Goverment Model... does anyone know if its capabale of having a compensator installed on it??? by the way... what does a compensator do??? im not sure but one of my friends said it had to do with the accuracy... am i close??? where would i aquire on??? how much???

thanks to everyone in advanced for you posts... :)

BigO01 09-04-2008 05:52 PM

You have absolutely no idea what it does and yet you want one , geeze whats is this world coming to ?

Yes you can get one for your gun and they come in all kinds of designs and at different price ranges , the simplest and cheapest to get would be the ones that replace your barrel bushing assuming you know what that is .

The function of a Comp is to reduce recoil by directing the gas upward when a round is fired .

I've never personally played with one so I have no idea how well they work the cheapest one you could perhaps try would be what CDNNSports Inc. sells for $19.99 .

www.cdnninvestments.com

Have fun

Dillinger 09-04-2008 07:18 PM

I am inclined to agree with my colleage above. Why do you want something, to add to your weapon, that you don't know what it is, or really what it does?

First off, your 1991 should be all steel construction, so it should have good weight to it. Unless you are so small that you owe muscle mass, you probably are not going to be "need" a compensator unless you are doing some radical stuff like really fast double taps or multiple target timed drills. If you are, well, then, I don't think the 1991 should have been your first choice.

The function of the compensator is to vent gas up, over the muzzle, to reduce muzzle flip and get you back on target faster. It will also moderately tame recoil, but nothing to write home about.

I don't personally know of anyone who uses them. I don't even know any competing IPSC shooters, so I can't say they would or would not.

My suggestion would be to put 500 rounds through the gun and see what YOU think about the weapon and it's recoil.

JD

sweet45 09-21-2008 12:40 PM

A 45ACP isn't a high pressure round which would benefit much from a compensator. The best way to control the recoil in a 1911, is to intall a flat bottom firingpin stop from EGW (Evolutionary Gun Woks) a 23lb mainspring,and a 14lb recoil spring. With this setup,my 1911's operate smoother than any 9mm I have ever shot.

matt g 09-21-2008 02:40 PM

It's your piece, do what you want with it. I've seen bushing comps before. Try Wilson Combat maybe? If not, Google "bushing comp 1911" with the quotes.

dragunovsks 09-23-2008 05:44 AM

I got one of those barrel bushing compensators last year for my 1911. I bought it just as an experimental thing to see if it would really work. Don't waste your money, it's really tight when it's new. I had to put some oil on it and work the slide and then fire it some to get it to loosen up. When I first put it on there, it would hold the slide back, that's how tight it was. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference with or without it. So I don't think it was really worth the $12, plus shipping and handeling required to get it to Indiana from Abilene Texas. I got it from CDNN Sports. I've fired the pistol with comp attached in the back yard but I've never carried it in public with it.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/o...masguns002.jpg

frank_1947 09-24-2008 02:49 AM

The picture of the Gun Here on my avatar is a compesator and you cant buy it for 19.99 try $170 it is Titanium and its purpose as they all have told you is to count down recoil on high presure loads in competition mostly, there are some guns that come from the factory with comps, if you really want one and I am not sure why, a 45 is not a competive gun in the Open Class of guns with Comps only 9 mm and 38 Super, I have to guns with Compensators this one you are looking at 9mm 1911 by Springfield and a 2011 USPSA gun by STI, to do it right you will have to buy a threaded barrel for a Comp $225 and a good comp $170 now your at $395 now you need a Good Pistol smith to fit the Barrel and Comp and cut the slide to make it fit to the Comp about $600 So now your at $995 do you still want a Compensator???

frank_1947 09-24-2008 03:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/a...1&d=1222225218

frank_1947 09-24-2008 03:29 AM

I will save you time and effort if you want a real compensated gun, I will sell you this gun $1900

Springfield Armory
9mm
Starting from the rear
Doug Koenig hammer
Triglide (SVI) Titanium Sear Spring
EGW Sear
EGW Diconnect
WILSON Highride Ambi Safety
Slide work Cut and Lighten
Shueman Match Grade Bushing Less (Bull) Barrel Threaded
Bidell 7 port Titanium Compensator Cut down to 3 Ports ( there is a Reason for that)
2 1/2 pound Trigger pull
ISMI 7 pound recoil spring
Will shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards

This gun will shoot any high pressure loads(8.2 gr. HS6 125 gr FMJ) and any low low presure loads (3.7 WST 147 Lead FP), one reason for gutting comp.

With no recoil either way, no muzzle flip, in other words the gun will not move in your hand when fired low or high.

If you have a 9mm try a 147 gr bullet at 3.7 gr of WST or 231 see if your slide will even make it all the way back.

This same gun and what it will do both low and high Springfield was advertiseing at over $3000, but not built by Springfield

BigO01 09-24-2008 05:16 AM

Hey Frank you sure that ain't the blaster Han Solo was shooting at Darth Vader in "The Empire Strikes Back" ? ;)