Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt 1911s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Colt 1911s

Recently purchased a glock 29 as a concealable woods gun and now I'm big in the market for a colt 1911. I suppose I'm just asking for input on recommended models. Also, which one is most accurate for target shooting? A guy at the gun club ha his at the range and it shot like a dream. I believe it was a gold cup but not 100% sure, I was more excited to hoot it than inspect it. But like I said just looking for some advice from you guys because this will be my first 1911 and I couldn't be more excited to go pick one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #2

I have NIB Kimber 1911 stainless II for sale. Let me know if interested.
I think that colt is overpriced.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline
I have NIB Kimber 1911 stainless II for sale. Let me know if interested.
I think that colt is overpriced.
Have anymore details and pictures?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I don't have a Kimber.

Accuracy in any semi-auto is something that may or may not be bought NIB.

I've seen RIA's that can punch 5 rounds in 1 hole. I've seen other brands that were acceptable with 5" at 25 yards.
Look at Customer Service, Cost, Appearance, Quality of parts, Assembly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

When you buy a "Colt" 1911, you are paying a pile more money for the name.

The best buy is probably on Springfield Armory guns, maybe even Rock Islands. With the high-end guns you are also paying for name brand and bragging rights. Along with the bragging rights you get a nicer finish, but not necessarily a better shooting gun.

My advice, unless money is not an issue, would be buy a less expensive gun and a lot more ammo and range time.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Consider American made pistols like the Remington and some of the Hi-Standards. Just be careful and ask the manufacturer about the specific gun you wish to purchase!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona
Consider American made pistols like the Remington and some of the Hi-Standards. Just be careful and ask the manufacturer about the specific gun you wish to purchase!
I was actually looking at one of the Remington's featured in guns and ammo.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Do a lot of shopping, as that is part of the fun. I've got six, 3 imports & 3 domestic. No issues at all with the domestic, feeding issues with all the imports.

Keep in mind that folks will post their problems on the 'net, trying to get help trouble shooting them. Many that don't have issues, don't always say so, unless asked. So, take what you hear in gun forums with a grain of salt, because the % of problem guns maybe real small when compared to the number sold. In some respects, manufacturer's rep for customer service is more important than what you read about problems. In that respect, Springfield has one of the best reputations for good service although I don't have a Springfield so have no personal experience with them.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #9

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona
I have a High Standard 1911A1,its made in the philipines by Armscor same as Rock Island.they are damn good pistols. Ive got 1,300 rounds through mine with 0 problems or malfunctions,i will never part with it.

Name:  20111205_175231-1.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  20111205_175010-1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  62.1 KB

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #10

Liked 404 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Recently purchased a glock 29 as a concealable woods gun and now I'm big in the market for a colt 1911. I suppose I'm just asking for input on recommended models. Also, which one is most accurate for target shooting? A guy at the gun club ha his at the range and it shot like a dream. I believe it was a gold cup but not 100% sure, I was more excited to hoot it than inspect it. But like I said just looking for some advice from you guys because this will be my first 1911 and I couldn't be more excited to go pick one.
If you're looking for a Colt and you want something for strictly target shooting, the Gold Cup is the model you want. Like others have said, you tend to pay a premium for the name "Colt". But that's no different than the fact that you pay significantly less for guns with the "Hi Point", "Raven", "Jimenez", etc. Every name has a reputation attached to it, as well as a premium or discount in terms of price. You pay more for the Colt name because they've made an amazing reputation for producing amazing quality guns for a VERY long period of time.

That being said, are there other companies that haven't been around as long as Colt and can make a comparable quality product? Sure there are. But bring out a vintage 70 Series Colt Gold Cup next to Springfields, Rock Islands, and any other common brands and see which one gets the most attention. Not saying that it's fair or that it's right, but it almost always happens. My old man has a stainless Gold Cup and it's a great gun. I've got several 1911s that were a lot more expensive and a lot better made than the Colt, but nobody ever seems to notice when we show them to a group. People seem to be blinded by the word "Colt" on any gun.