Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Colt 1911 wiley clapp... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/colt-1911-wiley-clapp-64224/)

getem2011 05-10-2012 08:26 PM

Colt 1911 wiley clapp...

Is it worth the $$$? It certainly is a beauty though! Anyone have one or had a chance to handle one? Let me know what you think.

gollygee 05-11-2012 12:10 AM

I don't have a Wiley Clapp, but have a Talo edition. My understanding is that Wiley Clapp & Talo contract with Colt for a specific number of pistols which gives them the right to determine some of the specs/design. For instance, mine is a 'CCO' which is not offered in Colt's currant line up. It is still manufacured by Colt with their standard of quality & reliability.

Since they are produced in limited quantities, price may run a tad more than a similar standard manufactured Colt. Colt doesn't currantly offer a CCO, or I probably would have opted to buy their standard one, rather than the Talo version because I'm not into buying 'designer' products whether it's guns or clothes.:)

trip286 05-11-2012 01:27 AM

Canebrake has one.

canebrake 05-11-2012 02:20 AM

getem, Stop thinking/dreaming about it and get one!

The real advantage of the 21st Century Commander is the lack of the firing pin safety and the associated trigger linkage to operate it.

This 4.25" Commander comes with a national match barrel. That alone is worth the up-charge.

They are out there and are going for well under MSRP. If someone wants more than 1250$ find another dealer.

My LGS is a Colt dealer. I went in last year around Thanksgiving and placed an order for the 100 year Commemorative 1918 #COO1911ANVIII and was told it may be too late to get one. Two weeks later he called me and had my gun in the store.

Two months ago I went in on a Thursday and ordered the Wiley Clapp, he had it the following Tuesday! His price was $1250. When you find a dealer as good as mine you tend to trow him a lot of business. He's now trying to get me hooked on SAAs.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ander_1911.jpg

The Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Commander

• Suggested Retail $1379
  • Series '70 style action with no firing pin safety and improved trigger pull
  • Alloy receiver for a light pistol that carries easy
  • Original style small safety, slide lock and magazine catch, no extensions
  • Front & rear slide serrations
  • Long black trigger, flat S&A mainspring housing
  • Colt's new beavertail grip safety for comfort in long shooting sessions
  • Special Novak sights extra-wide notch and bead front for any-light shooting
  • Tactical Oval grips with forward taper and fingerprint checkering
  • Pete Single 25 lpi checkering on the pistol's front-strap
  • Special factory serial number run
Part# 04840WC

getem2011 05-12-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
getem, Stop thinking/dreaming about it and get one!

The real advantage of the 21st Century Commander is the lack of the firing pin safety and the associated trigger linkage to operate it.

This 4.25" Commander comes with a national match barrel. That alone is worth the up-charge.

They are out there and are going for well under MSRP. If someone wants more than 1250$ find another dealer.

My LGS is a Colt dealer. I went in last year around Thanksgiving and placed an order for the 100 year Commemorative 1918 #COO1911ANVIII and was told it may be too late to get one. Two weeks later he called me and had my gun in the store.

Two months ago I went in on a Thursday and ordered the Wiley Clapp, he had it the following Tuesday! His price was $1250. When you find a dealer as good as mine you tend to trow him a lot of business. He's now trying to get me hooked on SAAs.

The Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Commander

[*]Suggested Retail $1379[*]Series '70 style action with no firing pin safety and improved trigger pull[*]Alloy receiver for a light pistol that carries easy[*]Original style small safety, slide lock and magazine catch, no extensions[*]Front & rear slide serrations[*]Long black trigger, flat S&A mainspring housing[*]Colt's new beavertail grip safety for comfort in long shooting sessions[*]Special Novak sights – extra-wide notch and bead front for any-light shooting[*]Tactical Oval grips with forward taper and fingerprint checkering[*]Pete Single 25 lpi checkering on the pistol's front-strap[*]Special factory serial number run

Part# 04840WC

How is the rear sight? I've never had blank sights so I don't know what to expect.

canebrake 05-12-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getem2011 (Post 797708)
How is the rear sight? I've never had blank sights so I don't know what to expect.

The Novak extra-wide notch rear sight took some getting use to. It's very easy to keep the sight picture while inducing a horizontal, Angular Shift Error.

Once you sort this out it's NM barrel shines. The wide notch does allow you to pick up the front sight fast.

I love the gold bead in the front sight blade but these old eyes would favor a Hi-Viz light pipe like I have on the Defender.

Have you had a chance to fondle one yet?

getem2011 05-12-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake

The Novak extra-wide notch rear sight took some getting use to. It's very easy to keep the sight picture while inducing a horizontal, Angular Shift Error.

Once you sort this out it's NM barrel shines. The wide notch does allow you to pick up the front sight fast.

I love the gold bead in the front sight blade but these old eyes would favor a Hi-Viz light pipe like I have on the Defender.

Have you had a chance to fondle one yet?

Good to know I'm sure I could grow to enjoy the sights as my sig stx has similar sight but are night sights. I have to check with some shops around me so I can handle one. But if I find one at a decent price I might have to buy it sight unseen.

ellwood45c 05-12-2012 12:56 PM

I just got to handle and shoot one yesterday. All i can say imo is i love it. It will be my next 1911, just as soon as i get ride of another gun. It fire like a dream, cycle, trigger pull, everything was just a life changing experience lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

levelcross 05-12-2012 01:33 PM

The Wiley Clapp Commander is on the top of the list for my next purchase, I think this is just one of those guns that got just about everything right from the start.

National match barrel, 70 style action, alloy receiver, Novak sights, front and rear slide serrations, awesome trigger and it's a COLT

Patch Delta 05-12-2012 08:12 PM

Santa gave me one last Christmas. I was VERY good last year.
I changed the recoil spring to a Wilson 20# since I use +P ammo. It is my EDC.