Colt 1911 Misfeed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Colt 1911 Misfeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Colt 1911 Misfeed

Hey everyone,
One of my Colts sometimes misfeeds the 1st round from my 8rd magazine, but sometimes it also manages to misfeed somewhere around the 4th round.

Today in my room I was able to recreate the problem multiple times by releasing the slide by pushing down the slide stop and here's what happened:

What you can't see on the picture is that the round is properly seated behind the extractor.

I got the same round to misfeed twice in a row, and the third time it chambered but look what happened:

As you can see the bullet on the right got pushed into the case (the left one is for reference) so being shorter it chambered easier.

I am using 8rd Checkmate Magazines with hybrid feed lips. I'm not sure if my problem is that the bullet's angle is too high because of the hybrid lips of the magazine or because something needs to be slightly adjusted in the gun. The feed ramp is highly polished and the gun has had a 99% diet of ball ammo so it's really smooth.

I think using the slide stop to release the slide increased the frequency of the problem because it makes it come down slower on the chamber in comparison to pulling it back an extra ~0.25" and releasing it. However the problem usually happens at least once in 200 rounds while correctly pulling back the slide, so there is definitely a little something to fix somewhere.

I know there are 1911 builders and 1911 experts on here and I'd be interested to hear what you gotta say. I already wrote Colt an email but I highly value your opinion.

PS: the ammo is Federal American Eagle

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 10-24-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

i would say its 99.99999% the mags fault. does it happen with the factory magazines?? if not then you need to use different magazines. most aftermarket magazines for 1911's simply suck eggs. the best ones are the milsurps factory colt and factory springfields. i know its herecy in the 1911 world to say factory mags work well but those do.

if you need something more than 7+1 or your not comfy with 7+1 you need a different gun altogether.

the new colts come with a simply superb factory throating job. in my opinion its better than almost all the aftermarket custom throat jobs you can get.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-24-2012 at 03:12 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

One of two possible problems.

1. Yea I know, here he goes again, It's a mag issue. Try loading the 8rd Checkmate Magazine with only 7rds. I bet it eliminates the FTF.

Or just go out and get ya some Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mags and be done with feed issues.

2. Many mags sit low in the mag void. This can be fixed (and I have done it on one of my Colt's) with the EGW HD Higher Mag Catch. The shelf on the HMC is .020 higher holding the magazine higher in the frame.

EGW HD Higher Mag Catch

AND: DO NOT FIRE that cartridge with the bullet set back!

The pressures will be way out of limit!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Oh yea, don't release the slide with the slide stop.

Rack the slide. You kill two birds with that method. It's the way you're suppose to release the slide and second, you preform a function test of the full mag slide stop system.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
2ndAmendmentFreedom Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
One of two possible problems.

1. Yea I know, here he goes again, It's a mag issue. Try loading the 8rd Checkmate Magazine with only 7rds. I bet it eliminates the FTF.

Or just go out and get ya some Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mags and be done with feed issues.

2. Many mags sit low in the mag void. This can be fixed (and I have done it on one of my Colt's) with the EGW HD Higher Mag Catch. The shelf on the HMC is .020 higher holding the magazine higher in the frame.

EGW HD Higher Mag Catch

AND: DO NOT FIRE that cartridge with the bullet set back!

The pressures will be way out of limit!
They should pay you for how often you advertise for 'em.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #6

Thanks guys for your replies. I had already put that one round aside cane I never release the slide with the slide stop but tonight while doing my little experiments.

The magazine definitely sits low, there is about a 1.5mm up/down play. TRIPP mags are definitely on my list but considering that I have 4 of those Hybrid Checkmate magazines it'd be nice if they worked with my gun. Also the factory colt mags are 8rd Checkmates with wadcutter (parallel) lips.

I have 4 of the same magazines for my Colt Series 70 and I don't recall having feeding issues, but I'll keep a closer eye from now on.

You guys have been of great help!

Right now I'm going to buy the new mag catch and if that doesn't work I'll either get the tripp upgrade kits (follower/spring combo) or tripp mags altogether. I'm pretty optimistic about the new mag catch though because if the magazine sits higher the angle of the bullet's chambering will be slightly lower and therefore should slide right into the chamber.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2895 Times on 1669 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

I don't think a new mag catch will fix the problem.

Swap the mag catches between the two firearms (if they will).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #8

I'll report back Saturday.

Danf_fl, what would you recommend before using new mags?
I'll probably try Tripp mag upgrades if the new mag catch doesn't fix it.

I really like magazines with hybrid lips because it feeds ammo smoothly (you feel it) and if feeding hollow points it probably helps protecting the feed ramp.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 10-25-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2895 Times on 1669 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

With time a small crack will develop in a rear corner of a mag.
Normally it is not seen unless the mag is loaded.
Mark the mags and see what happens when used in both Colts.

The mag catch should fit, and if you are having trouble with it in one, see if the problem goes to the other when you swap mag catches.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)