there is only one instance where i advocate settling for another choice, and that is when you have multiple choices that you intend on buying. example, a couple of weeks ago, i went to my LGS to buy a Colt Commander that he had on the shelf, but ended up buying a Remington R1 Enhanced instead. both were pretty close in price, but the Colt had been sold so i bought the R1. i had already planned on buying either the R1 or the Ruger SR1911 anyways, so now i will buy the Colt at a different time. i usually make a list of different firearms that i am on the lookout to buy if the price is right and i find them available.
i agree with what the others are saying and it makes erfect sense. don't shortchange yourself and settle for less than you want. if you have to save and wait a little longer,then it will be worth it in the long run.