Which colt for $1000-$2000 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which colt for $1000-$2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I would get a series 70 based Colt. Yeah I guess it's really gonna come down to personal preference. But for instance my question would be, which gun comes with the best stock barrel, which one is has the best fit (I don't want wobbly slides etc)?
the original JMB design has some play in the slide to frame fit. it improves reliabilty and there may be a total of 5 people on the planet that will honestly benefit from tightening the very small loss of accuracy due to slide-frame slop.

my personal pref is some looseness in slide to frame. if my 1911's dont rattle i start thinking something is wrong the real key is does the barrel lock up to the slide in battery in the same relationship each shot and stay there.

my colt series 70 and ww2 ithaca 1911 are far more accurate than i am.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks a lot all, that's some great information. I'm leaning towards the XSE series, affordable, great looking and more widely available. I'm gonna keep researching a bit but I want my first 1911 to be a Colt, I know it's kinda dumb but it's something I've wanted for a very long time.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I'm gonna keep researching a bit but I want my first 1911 to be a Colt, I know it's kinda dumb but it's something I've wanted for a very long time.
2nd, take a look at these:

Colt Rail Gun

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #14

Yeah the rail versions are cool too but I already know I'm not gonna put a flash light or laser so it all comes down to looks. Thanks for the recommendation. I do like the stock grips on the 1980RG, kinda similar to some of the Special Combat Government ones. If only I could get a Special Combat Government at the price they used to sell for...

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You ask, we deliver!

Buy COLT COMBAT ELITE at GunBroker.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My .02

Back about 10-11 years ago when I first got into USPSA competition I looked for a gun I could shoot in the Single Stack Class as well as the Limited 10 Class. When I ran across a used XSE that was in near pristine condition, I knew I had my pistol!

I shot the first season with it purely stock and it performed flawlessly. But, you know how competition guys are... we need EVERY edge - So I did some custom work - Schuemann barrell, new beavertail, lapped slide, 3# match trigger, magwell and some other odds & ends...
- All I can say is WOW!

It's been a grand campaigner for several years... I even shot some bowling pin matches with it - 10 pins down in just under 3 seconds!

Sadly, my eyes won't let me shoot as often as I once did but I'll have to say the XSE is still my favorite pistol. It just fits my hand so well and every time the trigger breaks, I can see a hole in the center of the bullseye... It's just a real joy to shoot.

Good luck with your choice and be sure to let us know what you decided on, OK?
All the best,
TJ

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
"Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
"No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #17

Likes Given: 1

Default Colt

The only gun I have ever sold and wished I hadn't, series 70 Gold Cup National Match. A buddy sucked me in with a sob story about how he had always wanted one......now I just get to visit it on occasion. Lesson, if you have to think twice, don't sell it!

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #18

@TraderJack
Very nice looking gun, I'm strongly considering the XSE.

@CaneBrake
I've been keeping an eye on gunbroker since I started looking for the Special Combat Government but I'm not crazy about the Combat Elite being based on the Series 80.

@bman940
Yeah the first colt I buy is definitely the Colt that I won't sell!

Question regarding mags:
What mags do you guys recommend? Standard 8 round mags, I don't like super long magazines.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #19

Default Gold Cup

I have three 'Cups: a Series 70, Series 80, and a Gold Cup Trophy in stainless. The Trophy shoots much better (to me) than the others. I had the front strap checkered, put a set of AlumaGrips on it, and shoot it. At 7 yards, it's cuts one ragged hole. That's about as well as my old eyes can see. They seem to be going for about a grand, so that leaves lots of $$$ for ammo. Bill.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

I believe that a search of 1911 mags will show that a lot of people here like the Tripp mags.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)