Which colt for $1000-$2000
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which colt for $1000-$2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Which colt for $1000-$2000

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy a Colt M1911 .45 and I'm hesitating between the XSE, Gold Cup and eventually special combat. Now I'm having a hard time determining which Gold Cup is best, there are so many variations and different series. I'm really looking for something reliable, made of carbon steel (stainless steel is ok I guess but I've heard it's a bit more prone to scratches), 5" coming with 8 round mags. I'm currently looking at the o1980xse / o1070xse, the impossible to find o5870cs and a special combat o1970cy because it fits my description and looks the best. I really want to get a Colt and I know that some people would recommend custom guns at this price point but I'm set on a Colt lol. I like adjustable sights and I really hate stock built in sights (I'm not sure how to call them), I also have mixed feelings about the look of front serrations. I would like to spend around $1500 and more only if worth it; I understand the world of diminishing returns.
Any recommendations from experts are greatly appreciated!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-06-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Does it have to be a Colt?
There are other brands that may fit the bill and have the presentation look you want.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Certainly nothing wrong with a Colt Gold Cup, but if I were spending $1500 - here's what I'd buy...

Dan Wesson Valor Stainless $1,439.00 SHIPS FREE

Or I'd save a few hundred for mags and ammo and get this one...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/62348

Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #4

That one is nice, I'll keep it in mind however I still prefer the markings of the colt by far.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

It sounds like you have done your research.
There is not much more we can provide. I personally do not like adjustable sights on my 1911's (they get abused so much). I do not have a "need" for front serations. I have no use for the Series 80 system that are in most Colts.

Now these are my opinions. Which Colt "fits" your needs?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

I would get a series 70 based Colt. Yeah I guess it's really gonna come down to personal preference. But for instance my question would be, which gun comes with the best stock barrel, which one is has the best fit (I don't want wobbly slides etc)?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The 05870CS blue model is not expected to be in production until late fall.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

what do you think about the current stainless steel Gold Cup production model?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
what do you think about the current stainless steel Gold Cup production model?
I'm partial to SS in my 1911's so my answer is obvious, me likie!

My O1070XSE shoots better than me so I never considered a GC. Why spend the xtra $?

Shop around and you will find what you want. Quicker if you include used.

Try these guys, they carry a lot of NEW Colts;

Ozark Guns Colt 1911 45acp Pistols in stock ready to ship!

Or here;

Buy Colt Gold Cup Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't care for front slide serrations either. It's just a quirk of mine. Good luck on your quest and please keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams