College Student 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > College Student 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

very nice setup.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have contracted 1911itis from an addictive gun.

First comes the 1911, then comes the 1911 accessories (arched mainspring housings, match grade barrels, caliber conversions, compensators, magwells, and on, and on).

Currently my disease has me craving a 460 Rowland conversion.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #13

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Really nice looking pistol and the Alumagrips really set it off. I love Alumagrips and have them on two of my 1911s.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Where are you a "college student"? Yale? Harvard? LOL

I know plenty of "working guys" that would like to have a set up like that.

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

As for adding the infamous "match grade barrel". I think several of the shooters here will back me up on this:

First off, a "Match Grade Barrel" for your 1911 is probably not going to be a drop in piece. It's going to require some custom fitting by a someone who knows what they are doing. That might be you. It might be a gunsmith.

Secondly, by the time you shoot that barrel out to get to a point where your shooting would warrant a "Match Grade Barrel" you are going to be so deadly with it, you won't really need it.

In a short arm, like the 5" barrel, having Match Grade stamped on the barrel is nice, it probably adds some confidence to the shooter in a mental aspect, but to REALLY get the benefit out of the tighter tolerances, you would have to be a regular shooter putting thousands of rounds down range a month.

I would save your money for your next 1911. As it was mentioned, they have a habit of multiplying on you.

JD

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A lot of people don't like the PT1911. I have bought two and liked them both. Depending how you are wanting to use that pistol you might not need a barrel change. They do use the standard link and pin but the lock up is tight. I get 3" and under groups at 25 yards all day long with both reloads and commercial ammo. A good gunsmith and do a trigger job to it and it should be fine there too really. The glaring needs to me seemed more to be the barrel bushing and maybe the sights being a lot of people don't like the Straight 8 sights they come with. I personally like them a lot but most the people I shoot with like a three dot set up more.The type of ambi safety in them I'm not as big a fan of. I've seen a couple of them try to pull out. Mine didn't do it but I've sen it on others. I changed my recoil spring from the factory 16 to a 20#.

But the way I see it for what you're putting into one you are getting a right fine weapon. I have paid more for a 1911 that would not shoot as well.

How many rounds you have through it so far?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Shes a beauty, really like the punisher grips as well.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Seeing as how I wont be selling it, I'll continue to update it to my liking.
I was wondering if any of you might have a good recommendation for a match-grade barrel?
I was also thinking of putting in a new recoil spring system to help reduce recoil and help with follow up shots, what do you guys/gals think?

IMHO, I would not change anything for the sake of change. Break it in good, clean it regularly, change springs, and practice, practice, practice.

I have a SA 1911a1 with the factory barrel that I bought in the early 1980's (used in competition shooting) that still shoots better than me when put in a gun rest. And that is with over 15,000 rounds through it. When I do my part, I can put 4 out of 5 touching each other at 15 yards.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate the feed-back.
I definetly have 1911itis... Not to the converstion kit yet, unless its a 22lr for practice.
The Aluma-Grips are probably the most expensive thing I've added so far, I really wanted the custom look without the "custom" price-tag and they really do the trick. Since the grips are laser-etched into the metal grips, I'll wear out before the design or the grips do

I keep a count on the back of an ammo box-top I keep with the gun, each time I shoot 50 or 100 I just put "+50" or "+100". When I run out of room I use a new with the count from the last one. I learned the trick from the woman that runs the gun-range just out of town. So far I've got about 5,000 rounds through this one, all of it mixed factory ammo over the whole time I've had the gun. I'm sure that'll jump up significantly this summer when I reload till my arm falls off.
I'm far from Yale material in my opinion JD, but thanks for the vote of confidence My love for guns made me manage my money under a tight-wire. Unfortunately the wire has moved down so I havent had much to put into my guns themselves, but I switched my focus to the reloading setup so I can put more bullets to paper this summer.

The reason I asked about a match-grade barrel is just to see what manufacturer might be better than others in everyone's opinion. I probably wont actually be ready to buy one until I actually need a new barrel for the gun. Figure if I have to replace it, may as well replace it with an upgrade, right? I merely want the recommendations waiting in the wing for when I do have the chance to get ahold of a new barrel.
I do worry about a couple of visible gouges in the barrel just short of the crown of the barrel but it doesnt seem to be affecting accuracy yet. One actually goes completely through one of the lands of the barrel in the opposite direction of its spin and is the most visible.
My ambi-safety has tried to back out but after I finish a few mags I check it and its only moved slightly once or twice the whole time I've had the pistol.

I like the fiber-optic sights, these Novak ones hold up pretty well, I've only had to replace the front FO rod because the front bulb that holds it in was smashed by the bushing tool. Since then, I've learned how to get passed using the bushing tool. I havent used the straight-8 sights but I like the concept, it seems like they'd be really good quick-acquisition sights for when you're on the move. The 3-dot sight style is what mine came with, so its what I'm most accustomed to.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Approx 5,000 rounds is the time to consider swapping recoil spring.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm using a buffer on the guide rod, not sure if that helps with spring life but got it because it looked like it would keep the frame from being battered too much and shorten up the spring a little making it a tad heavier.
This is my second spring, switched at 3,000 just to be safe.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.